Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
In that situation I was not referring to the abortion; I was referring to the RU486 pill.
"Medical" abortion is termination using medication rather than surgery. It is recommended that it be used before 63 days from the onset of the last period, but it will work even after that with a slightly higher failure rate. It involves two medications, not just RU486 (mifepristone).

Medical abortion at 63 to 90 days of gestation. [Obstet Gynecol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Uh, no. People who aren't responsible enough to use contraception properly, are, in fact, using abortion to not have the unwanted pregnancy. That is a form of birth control. Not the one you or I would like, but it is.

And no, I am not anti-abortion, but I will call a spade a spade. Hardly any abortions are necessary to save the mother's life in our modern medical age, and few are the results of rape, relative to the numbers that are "mistakes". That is all.
How do you classify those who who used their method of contraception exactly as prescribed and still got pregnant? Are they irresponsible, too?

Most people use the term "birth control" to apply to an ongoing method of pregnancy prevention. When you apply it to abortion, you imply that there are women who are using it as a primary means of contraception. Whether a woman gets pregnant due to ignorance, carelessness, or failure of a properly used contraceptive, none are counting on abortion as their sole means of "birth control".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Makes complete sense. A woman that is willing to roto-rooter her baby is probably not going to be a particularly good mother. Not-good mothers -> Bad kids -> Criminals.

This is why the "ban all abortions" crowd annoys me. These people don't realize they are going to pay more taxes for prisons and welfare if abortions are banned. I'd rather there be abortions than have to pay for EBT cards, welfare and public housing.
State Asylums and Instituions for unwanted children, in particular those with severe disablities. Are all these unwanted babies going to be adopted? Nope.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okra gal View Post
The birth rate is down in the U.S. there should be social workers and RNs that can visit young unwed mothers and teach them how to parent and care for their babies. And they should have follow up visits every few months. Young inexperienced parents need extra help and education in child rearing. Communities should develop these.
This idea was often discussed when the Affordable Care Act was first being written. Opponents spoke vehemently against it saying it was "government telling you how to raise your children." Offering the elderly help in establishing end-of-life plans (such as the creation of medical wills) was screamed against even louder as the public was told that was a "government death panel."

Some people are opposed to anything that would cost taxpayers a dime, even when it will prevent the community from spending more money in the future as poorly parented children grow up and start causing the public real money.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
These people don't realize they are going to pay more taxes for prisons and welfare if abortions are banned. I'd rather there be abortions than have to pay for EBT cards, welfare and public housing.
Actually, I realize that very well (though for reference, my position on the abortion issue isn't completely black-and-white). However, if one considers abortion to be morally unjustifiable, then it is better to have higher taxes than to allow as many abortions to occur.

From a politically anti-abortion perspective, your argument in favor of legalized abortion in order to have lower taxes is similar to arguing for Chinese-style one-child/two-child policies or whatever in order to have lower taxes.

If you are pro-choice, then fine. However, please back up your position with arguments which are actually good and logically sound. Thank you.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:14 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Whether a woman gets pregnant due to ignorance, carelessness, or failure of a properly used contraceptive, none are counting on abortion as their sole means of "birth control".
None? As in zero?

However, even if a woman does not count on abortion as her sole means of birth control, she does count on it as a means of birth control.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
I'll begin with a side note. I was not a planned conception. I was an accident, as were my brother and sister (over a fifteen year period).

Every microbiologist in the world will tell you that conception represents the creation of a new and unique individual life. It is impossible for me to fathom that we should not operate with the principle that life, itself, is the our most sacred principle, which is exactly how we did operate in America until the ruling in Roe v. Wade.

If as a society we don't hold that life, itself, is sacred and necessarily our highest principle, I have to believe that we can and will treat everything else as but a value that is fungible.

As leaves change direction with the winds, values will fluctuate in importance. However, principles do not change. They are like roots on a tree that are meant to keep us from toppling over in the most fierce storms. If the protection of life itself is not our highest principle, I can't imagine what is.

Unfortunately, I have come to hold that America has come to the point where we have no firm principles whatsoever.. In other words, we now stand for anything, which also means that we stand for nothing.

Not respecting life is not new...look at The Romans, it was sport to torture people! People used to go to executions for fun...what about The Salem Witch Trial, certainly a "culture" of death.

So, my stance is humans have never respected life.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times
In this day and age, abortions shouldn't be so common and I am pro-choice.

There's every type of birth control imaginable out there from hormonal to non-hormonal. The 'my birth control failed' is no longer a valid excuse.

I don't agree with the study. Why? Well, from what I have seen, women who use abortion as a birth control method tend to continue in the same pattern of having unwanted children who will possibly grow up to commit crimes.

I laugh at the people who recommend 'soul searching' before one has an abortion, while I don't see this same sentiment expressed to women who want to keep the child who KNOWINGLY bring them in a dire situation.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Life is not perfect and never will be. Moreover, horror stories can easily be found throughout the financial spectrum that ranges from the richest of households to the poorest.

I'm an old man now, at least by age and most certainly by mileage. My sister, brother and I did not grow up in a financially advantaged household. We were all born accidents (over a fifteen year period). Much of what my Dad made working two jobs went to cover medical bills, some of which were extreme -- compliments of yours truly. And my Mother did not have an easy time figuring out how to feed us and dress us, but she and we managed.

What my parents did provide in abundance was love and guidance on morals so to best prepare us to live a good and decent life. Moreover, we were schooled in and well understood the principle of working to make a living -- I ran a trap line at the age of eight, mowed lawns, shoveled snow, etc. -- and the value of studying as the best mechanism to achieve a good education.

We all graduated with degrees from college, at a minimum. We've all had success in one way or another, and we all have suffered the ups and downs that every living person experiences in one way or another.

Given the choice of being born or not being born, we all would have opted to be born. We feel fortunate that we were given that chance.

If you are not given a chance to live, you have no chance whatsoever.
See this TRUMPS finances, plus you had BOTH PARENTS. Very essential.

Some children are in households that are financially strapped AND they are being neglected by their parents. This is a negatively predicted situation.

I am sure if a unborn child had a choice, they would love your situation, too. I know I would've.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 AM

684 posts, read 868,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
See this TRUMPS finances, plus you had BOTH PARENTS. Very essential.

Some children are in households that are financially strapped AND they are being neglected by their parents. This is a negatively predicted situation.

I am sure if a unborn child had a choice, they would love your situation, too. I know I would've.
Telling a child that you love them is beyond essential, and I'm not sure that anything is better to a child than when they receive a hug and a kiss from one of their parents, which costs absolutely nothing.

We all try to find security and direction in life. And when you are young, parents are the Chief Security Officer in a child's life and the Chief Nurturing Officer too. Providing a child with the advantages that stem from receiving the emotional basics in life is more far more important than being able to bestow on them the wonders of all things material.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Actually, I realize that very well (though for reference, my position on the abortion issue isn't completely black-and-white). However, if one considers abortion to be morally unjustifiable, then it is better to have higher taxes than to allow as many abortions to occur.
I respect you for the consistency in your beliefs. Unfortunately, most social conservatives think you can ban abortion and there won't be societal consequences to doing so that would raise taxes. I challenge you to ask anti-abortion people what they think would happen if abortion were banned. The typical answers generally involve "people would have to take care of their kids" or "there would be more adoptions".

Both are fantasies. The type of women that would seriously consider mutilating and killing a baby as form of birth control isn't going to magically be a great mom just because a law is changed. Nor is there going to be an increase in adoptions that would make-up for the increase in unwanted babies.

The only logical outcome of banning abortion would be increased taxes to pay for social welfare, prisons and various types of gubmint programs that seek to do the sorts of things parents should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates