Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 PM

173 posts, read 256,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
IF you don't like the pollution of the city, move to the country.

There you will only have to deal with cars and trucks (and maybe the occasional wood stove).

No pollution, unless you don't like the smell of chicken manure on gardens.

Of course, if you move to the country, you will be dealing with cow farts, which are much worse pollutants than cars and trucks combined.

And smokers, for that matter.

Indeed, they are so bad, that the Obama Administration is attempting to tax cow farts. Once they figured out they couldn't make cow farts cease . . . they just decided to tax 'em (same as the gubment did with cigarettes).

Yeppers.

So I guess we are all just sh$t outta luck . . . those horrible cigarette puffing cancer inducing smokers in the city . . . or the even worse methanol-emitting black angus cows out in the country.

Die of second hand smoke or cow farts. Your choice.

EPA's Air Pollution Target: Flatulent Cows - CBS News

PS> Or die of heart disease brought on from stress of worrying about what's gonna kill ya. Cause trust me <news flash> we are all gonna die, eventually, from something -- no matter where we live.
I don't want to move to the country. I like almost all things about living in Vancouver, except inconsiderate fellow urban dwellers, which includes smoking wherever they please. I will reiterate:

...This has brought me to the consideration that maybe my only option, if I want to breathe relatively clean air (all vehicle emissions and other forms of pollutants aside the point) is to live far from the city, and do a lot of my shopping online. The irony of that is would also contribute further to pollutants.

"cow farts" you refer to methane gas, which is 20x more potent in its greenhouse gas-trapping power. But I am not aware of any effects on human health. Methane is not a carcinogen, as far as I know.

I think you're just assuming that if one lives far from the city, automatically this means you're going to live near cows. I would on to a farm if I were to do so. I've lived in a place far from the city, and it did not have any cows nearby.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:59 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersavina View Post
I love all the benefits that come with living in a city. But more recently, living in Vancouver, BC, it seems I cannot take a stroll outside of my home or go shopping without being bombarded by cig smoke from all directions.
How long have you been living in Vancouver? It's known for pot, not cig smoke. Everywhere you go it's weed here, weed there. A person is constantly bombarded by pot, not smoke. People can get fined for lighting a cigarette in public places like the beach or parks. Pot? Blind eye.

B.C has the least smokers of all the provinces, with a rate of 15.8 percent. It's the pot heads i'm worried about. I find it way more offensive to smell that crap. I wish the authorities would police that garbage instead of letting it foul up the air.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
How long have you been living in Vancouver? It's known for pot, not cig smoke. Everywhere you go it's weed here, weed there. A person is constantly bombarded by pot, not smoke. People can get fined for lighting a cigarette in public places like the beach or parks. Pot? Blind eye.

B.C has the least smokers of all the provinces, with a rate of 15.8 percent. It's the pot heads i'm worried about. I find it way more offensive to smell that crap. I wish the authorities would police that garbage instead of letting it foul up the air.
Yes, I am well aware that pot is very prevalent in Vancouver. My knowledge of the effects of marijuana is limited. Perhaps there are quite a few carcinogens in cannabis, but walking around the city, I very, very rarely detect marijuana smoke. There is a place in Gastown/East Hastings area called Amsterdam Cafe, where I know people can go and legally smoke with their own pot. Or at least legally in the sense that police do nothing. I do not smoke or enjoy the feeling of being high for that matter.

Funny side note, whenever I have posted online looking for friends, much of the time someone replies indicating that they would be interested in smoking, or notes that they are 420 friendly. I haven't had any Vancouverite friends, but it sounds like if you're going to socialize, you're going to be breathing a lot of smoke. Ha.

For anyone's interest, I found the following on a website about carcinogens in pot:

Cannabis smoke contains many of the same cancer causing substances (carcinogens) as tobacco - at least 50 of them. In addition, cannabis is often mixed with tobacco when smoked.

One of these carcinogens is benzyprene. Benzyprene is in the tar of both tobacco and cannabis cigarettes. We know that benzyprene causes cancer. It alters a gene called p53, which is a tumour suppressor gene. We know that 3 out of 4 lung cancers (75%) occur in people who have faulty p53 genes. The p53 gene is also linked to many other cancers.

Cannabis also contains a substance called THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). It is the THC in the cannabis that changes your mood and behaviour. The amount of THC in a cannabis cigarette varies considerably. Researchers have shown that THC causes benzpyrene to promote the p53 gene to change. But other researchers have looked at the effects of pure THC on brain tumour cells and found that it killed them in laboratory tests.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:38 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Ever ask why the smokers are outside? In many cases, it's the government's fault for banning smoking indoors.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Ever ask why the smokers are outside? In many cases, it's the government's fault for banning smoking indoors.
In Vancouver, homes comprised three units are very common. Most homes have at least a basement suite to rent out. I would definitely not like having smoke seep through neighbour's walls. Although, living adjacent to smokers always proves to be a problem too, because other tenants tend to smoke directly outside my window/front door. Wherever you go in a densely urban packed space as a smoker, you are subjecting others to harmful substance.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
I don't want to move to the country. I like almost all things about living in Vancouver, except inconsiderate fellow urban dwellers, which includes smoking wherever they please. I will reiterate:

...This has brought me to the consideration that maybe my only option, if I want to breathe relatively clean air (all vehicle emissions and other forms of pollutants aside the point) is to live far from the city, and do a lot of my shopping online. The irony of that is would also contribute further to pollutants.

"cow farts" you refer to methane gas, which is 20x more potent in its greenhouse gas-trapping power. But I am not aware of any effects on human health. Methane is not a carcinogen, as far as I know.

I think you're just assuming that if one lives far from the city, automatically this means you're going to live near cows. I would on to a farm if I were to do so. I've lived in a place far from the city, and it did not have any cows nearby.

Sweetie, to be honest, all this angst . . . all you have to do is live where you want to live and wear a mask.

If you spend time in Japan, you will find folks there are not embarrassed to put on a mask when in town, whether b/c of fear of communicable disease or from pollution.

So just go get yourself a good mask and enjoy your life.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What in pray tell are you talking about? Drunk driving is not done all the time? I have an idea. Pick up some stats regarding Wisconsin, we've got a gigantic rate of drunk driving. It's pretty impressive. And that is just what we know, the people who have been arrested. Just think of how many drunk drivers are out there that don't get caught? I should know because I used to do it all the time. Last time I drove drunk was in 2008. So yes, it does happen all the time. Literally, every time you're on the road someone is most likely on the road with you drunk, no matter what time of day or night.
^^^^^
See this above. Drunk driving happens all the time.
Here's a true, and possibly amusing anecdote: back in the eighties my friend and neighbor Jack B. was a lawyer and Traffic Court Judge for a small municipality in Dekalb County Georgia. Jack liked his booze very much. Whenever he got a case before him in which a defendant was being charged with his 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc., DUI, he would throw the book at them. His reasoning was: I've driven drunk hundreds of times in my life and have never gotten caught; with 4 or 5 DUI arrests this guy must be driving drunk all the time!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Yup, #10 You're a control freak if you think people should not smoke without regard to the harm it brings to those around them, even though it's unnessary and has no benefit to themselves or anyone except greedy and unethical cigarette corporations, and puts a real damper on others' experience of urban life (hey, why not just allow drunk driving too? I guess the main difference there is death is a little more instant...)
Nope. That was not my point at all. My point was that exposure to your addiction (control over others) is just as hazardous to my health as exposure to cigarette smoke may be to yours (we're learning all sorts of things about that these days including interesting information regarding the genetic component of lung cancer when someone asked the question, "Why do 80% of smokers NOT get lung cancer if it's the smoking alone that causes it?" resulting in research that may be invaluable in discovering causes and treatments for ALL cancers, not just lung cancer).

It's not just that you're a control freak, it's that you indulging yourself in being a control freak has as significant a health impact on others as you feel anyone indulging themselves in anything you don't like (cigarette smoking apparently being your target of choice right now) has on you.

So, what do we do? Ban you? Ban your vice of choice?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:48 PM

92 posts, read 101,708 times
It's nasty. It smells gross and is nasty, but smokers blowing smoke at bystanders as they walk down the street isn't going to change, so I just hold my breath as I walk past them or fan the air with my hand to fan away the smoke (it might offend them that I'm indicating they smell, but the smoke does). I'm just so happy there are tons of smoke free indoor establishments now.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I just finished charcoal grilling sausage and pepper and onions, I also smoked a cigarette while grilling. The grill smoke is billowing all over among my neighbors yards. I DARE YOU to try to tell the difference betwen my cigarette smoke and the charcoal sausage and peppers smoke from the grill. The cigarette smoke is MINISULE in comparson. Choke, CHOKE on my cigarette smoke!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates