Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,544,575 times

Advertisements

I have lived in several places all over the country and a few places outside of the US. Is Jacksonville the worst place? No, it is not but it is close. What it is though is completely devoid of any sort of character. I don't care for it at all. I gotta tell you, I have no problem with making money here or my house which is nice although my property tax is freaking $1400/month but it is ugly and old. I will move as soon as I possibly can. I feel like I'm serving a prison sentence here but I accepted relocation for my family. Let me stress again that I will get out of Jacksonville and FL as soon as I possibly can. The only truly good thing I can say about it is that it rarely gets cold. Other than that I've got nothing.

The emblem of Jacksonville should be a fat woman, smoking a cigarette with a baby seat in the back of her car while talking on the cell phone while running a red light.

You'll never find anyone that can give you one positive, unique thing about Jacksonville because nothing exists. Crime is high, the beaches are dirty, the downtown is a ghost town, the traffic sucks, the NFL team is a joke, people still make fun of the fact that a Super Bowl was here (and the should), the schools suck so much that I need to pay $16K/year for my child to have a decent education, etc, etc.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:37 AM

276 posts, read 1,135,925 times
so when are you moving?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 PM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,772 times
I've known people who've lived all over the world, choose to live here and love it, others who've never left and love it, too, so its not that Jax fans just don't know any better. Its really about keeping expectations realistic, i think.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,492 times
Wow, I didn't think it was possible for anyone to be that ticked off and absolutely everything. All I can say is thank God I'm not you, because even though there's things that bother me, I just can't seem to be angry and everyone and everything....sounds like moving isn't what you need...an attitude and outlook like that, I'm afraid goes where you go.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
I have lived in several places all over the country and a few places outside of the US. Is Jacksonville the worst place? No, it is not but it is close. What it is though is completely devoid of any sort of character. I don't care for it at all. I gotta tell you, I have no problem with making money here or my house which is nice although my property tax is freaking $1400/month but it is ugly and old. I will move as soon as I possibly can. I feel like I'm serving a prison sentence here but I accepted relocation for my family. Let me stress again that I will get out of Jacksonville and FL as soon as I possibly can. The only truly good thing I can say about it is that it rarely gets cold. Other than that I've got nothing.

The emblem of Jacksonville should be a fat woman, smoking a cigarette with a baby seat in the back of her car while talking on the cell phone while running a red light.

You'll never find anyone that can give you one positive, unique thing about Jacksonville because nothing exists. Crime is high, the beaches are dirty, the downtown is a ghost town, the traffic sucks, the NFL team is a joke, people still make fun of the fact that a Super Bowl was here (and the should), the schools suck so much that I need to pay $16K/year for my child to have a decent education, etc, etc.
so why are you still here?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
$1400 a month property tax? You must live in a pretty nice place. Do you at least enjoy your home and family?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:24 PM

108 posts, read 305,768 times

If you add: "talking on the cell phone", while neary hitting you because she was looking one way and driving the other as she was talking to her probation officer about socking her husband in the eye after her 16 yo daughter announced that she was pregnant and dropping outta school" , now you'd be talking about Tulsa Oklahoma.

Last edited by LeftHook; 06-02-2008 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: spellcheck

Old 06-02-2008, 02:03 PM

17 posts, read 64,799 times
Do you need a ride to the airport? Need help packing?

Just ask your co-workers and neighbors. They must be dying to help!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,680 times
and she's the babysitter!!!
dun dun duunnnn

Old 06-02-2008, 02:34 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
I somewhat agree that it doesn't have any character nor any true diversity. Its a little too "Mother, God & apple pie waving the flag" for us personally. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it does seem that if you dont fit that certain mold, then you stand out here. The people in general don't seem to be very accepting of different cultures, ethnicities, religions (or lack of), etc & sorta force their own beliefs down your throat.

BUT, its far FAR from the worse place I've ever lived. Its actually quite tolerable & enjoyable allot of times. And people here in general are some of the nicest & most genuine I've ever met.

And I think the beaches are quite nice & pretty clean. If you wanna see disgusting beaches, try south Texas. Seriously, you'll see garbage on a daily basis on the sand/in the water & the beaches are crowded with grownups & kids alike playing in that junk like its nothing. So, no. I don't agree with that.

Anyways, you shouldnt just feel luke warm (or in your case despise) about the city you chose to call home. I know that feeling & it sucks. So, I think you're doing the right thing by moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: