Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,039 times

Advertisements

So yes, someone (whom I trust to be very intelligent), said that. And I said: I don't get it. How can that be?

Some people seem to be bad, so why would someone say that all are good?

It's because good and bad is related to "growing pains". Because people are seeds which grow into flowers. Because people are caterpillars which grow into butterflies. Because people are cute unruly disobedient babies which eventually grow into mature and good adults.

It's because people on Earth are in the stage of "babyhood". And a parent won't look at his babies fighting and disobeying and say: oh, look, they are such bad people. No. They would say: they are babies, what do you expect? But don't worry, they will grow up and lose their unruly ways.

So babies are so clumsy and can't do anything right and disobey and are so annoying... and then grow up into toddlers who fight with each other and say: mine, mine..... who don't seem to care about each other (sound familiar?)

But parents would still perceive their babies and toddlers are cute and adorable and GOOD. Even though they are not behaving as good.

Or if you look at the seed, it looks nothing like the beautiful flower. But some farmer would lovingly look at the seed, knowing what it will grow into.

So the badness happens at the stage of birth and just trying to grow.... The goodness will grow out and surround the person, the badness will be lost...

And so therefore, people can be perceived as "babies" and therefore, good, adorable and cute.

The mistake of most people is to assume that since we are adults, we should be behaving better. But just because our bodies reached a certain age, it doesn't mean that we are adults in a spiritual sense yet. Just think about all the behavior going on among adults. It reminds me SOOOOOOO MUCH of kids' behavior. We did not grow up yet. So it's only natural for us to be bad at this stage.

I assume that people usually assume that any person can choose between being good or bad.

But if people could truly choose, why would they ever choose bad? Most people know that bad choices will ruin their life and yet something makes them choose them.

For example, someone "chooses" to have an affair, knowing that it will mess up their life. Why? Because they want to make a bad choice? No. Because it's something that they can't overcome, can't fight against. I mean if he/she really had the ability to say no, why would he/she choose to say yes?

Addictions are a strong example to show that people don't really have that much choice. Others look at them and judge. They say: you should have said no to that woman. I would.

Well, turns out this person doesn't have a problem with saying no. So of course he would say no. But when it comes to eating chocolate this person would not be able to say no. So he is guilty of the same thing: of not being able to overcome the desire (whatever it is, it doesn't matter which desire).

I am simply saying that whatever mechanism is at work making you unable to stop eating chocolate is the same one who makes someone be unfaithful. So why judge them when you yourself cannot overcome? It doesn't matter how bad or good this thing you're trying to overcome is. It's about your free will and the ability to overcome.

I would say that people don't have too much free will in this context.

Anyways, that's what this person told me. And it sounds good to me.

Last edited by LoveWisdom; 06-23-2014 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM

So saying that a bad human is "bad" is like saying that

a flower seed is bad because it doesn't look like a flower.

Or
a vegetable is bad because it doesn't taste good (although it did not have time to ripen yet)

Or
this person is very dumb because he doesn't know anything (referring to a 3 yr old)

Or
this person is clumsy (referring to a baby which didn't get a chance to learn to walk yet)

or
this car is defective (referring to a car in the process of being assembled, but not quite assembled yet)

A beautiful verse from the song: (The Rose)

Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snows
Lies the seed that with the sun's love
In the spring becomes the rose.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
The analogy with babies and children growing up betrays an extreme naiveté which glosses over and denies the horrendous evil and cruelty of which some members of our species are capable. Words like "annoying" and "unruly" are rather absurd in the face of events such as the mass killings in Cambodia, the Holocaust perpetrated by the Nazis, the millions of people who died under the grim rule of Stalin in the Soviet Union and Mao Zedong in China, just to limit the examples to the 20th century. And my handful of examples do not begin to catalogue the cruel events of the 20th century alone.

In addition to events which I cited involving millions of victims each, there are also events of unspeakable cruelty which involve "only" a single victim. One such victim was Jaycee Lee Dugard (hopefully I got her name correct) who was kidnapped when she was 11 or 12 years old and held as a sex slave by her kidnapper. The comparison of such evil to "annoying" and "unruly" acts of disobedient children turns my stomach.

I, for one, cannot go along with the minimization of the moral outrageousness of so much that is a part of our history as a species.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
I disagree with your observations. We are adults, yes, but children don't act that differently from adults. What you see in children is the evolutionary traits that we developed, and those are carried onto adulthood.

Instinct plays a much larger role in human behavior then we give it credit for. Because we believe ourselves as, self aware animals, who can control their behavior, we generally take instinct out of the behavior.

Most human behavior you see, including murder, rape, theft and lying are all part of our evolutionary advantage, and its why everyone, not some, not many, not a few, everyone has the above thoughts sometimes penetrate their cognitive process.

Who hasn't seen someone of the opposite sex and said "Um, I'd do bad things to them". I've heard men and women both say this.

Who hasn't thought about murdering someone? It doesn't mean you'll do it, it doesn't make you bad, but thats just who we are.

We are all "bad" by the religious and social normals that we have developed outside of our evolution. Our evolution is at odds many times with society and religion.

It takes tens of thousands of years to drastically change a species evolutionary tract. Humans have had modern society for around 6000 years. We have developed some new attributes to deal with ever growing numbers of people around us, but in the end, we are killers, we are all sexual creatures, we all steal, and we all lie.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
4% are sociopaths. They have no concept of good or evil.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Psychopaths- they do not feel guilty about their actions because their actions seem logical (aka: good) to them. Some people for example don't value life and therefore won't feel guilty for taking it. It all makes sense in their head. You can't make these people feel guilty. And it's NOT because they don't have a conscience. Conscience is a part of you which talks to you when you do something against your own beliefs. But if you're doing things in accordance with your beliefs, you conscience won't bother you.

So for example, when you talk to psychopaths, it's useless to use the same ideology with them to try to make them change their mind about doing something bad. You would have to find a way which benefits them or harms them personally or something that is logical according to THEM.

So I think that majority would agree that psychopaths have "messed up" thinking. But how is it their fault exactly for having a messed up head?

I mean how is it a puppy's fault for having rabies and biting everyone?

So this is not about fault. This is not about changing them. Or maybe you could if you understood their kind of logic...
BUT we do have to have laws to contain those "messed" up people, to prevent bad things happening to us because of these people with "messed up" thinking.

But it's just that most people think they can make them feel guilty by using the same techniques that work on them. But it doesn't work that way. Their brain logic is just different. You could say that they are aliens from this perspective. Maybe some aliens that can feel no sense of compassion and make their decisions based on other factors than emotions.

I am all for containing psychopaths in a mental facility because their brain is all messed up. But why get mad at them for doing something they can't change?

There is lots of "self righteous" anger going on. Anger happens when people think they can change something, when someone COULD act differently, not like themselves.

But the change is extremely difficult (if at all possible). It's so easy to point fingers when you're not the one trying to get over your "messed up" thinking or behavior. And even if you did change something just by the power of your will, it doesn't mean that other people have such a strong will that could change things.

I think that when we will start to understand these things, there will be not as much "rage" in the world. Even the "self righteous" kind. Rage is rage regardless of the reason. Rage makes people act blindly and not be able to see reason. That's why the "wise" ones always seem to have control of their emotions. Self righteous rage creates lynch mobs and I think that most people would agree that it's not a healthy thing.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Are animals good or bad? They can bite you and attack you. But I don't think that people usually say that animals are evil creatures. They seem to behave badly, but they are perceived as just "animals", not good or bad really. But I still think that the underlying thought is that they are good and not evil.

So one could say that people are still in the "animal" stage of development at this point.

A human could be perceived as a new life, a newly formed lifeform. It's trying all kinds of things, trying to find its way, trying to see what works. Violence is a tool that people have discovered. It does work in some situations. A human animal has enough sense to see that this tool serves them, but doesn't yet have enough sense to see that there are better ways of getting things done. (Well, some have discovered the new way and others still have to catch up). So it's all a matter of learning. It's like a little doggy walking around, licking everything and trying to bite everything, trying to feel their way around this new world.

But animals are still loved by the animal lovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates