Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 04:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

[quote=phetaroi;51594316]I don't believe there is a constitutional reason that troops cannot be used to secure the border. Or am I wrong?[/QUOTE)

There is an Air Force Base at Laredo
Ft Bliss is at El Paso
Army and Air Force at White Sands
Air Force at Tucson
Army at Ft. Huachuca
Luke AFB at Phoenix
Marine Bases at Yuma
and 29 Palms
Navy at El Centro
Navy and Marines at San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
[quote=Boompa;51792270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe there is a constitutional reason that troops cannot be used to secure the border. Or am I wrong?[/QUOTE)

Ft Bliss is at El Paso
Air Force at Tucson
Army at Ft. Huachuca
Luke AFB at Phoenix
Marine Bases at Yuma
and 29 Palms
Navy at El Centro
That's great information. It doesn't answer the question I asked. But it's great information.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
[quote=Boompa;51792270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe there is a constitutional reason that troops cannot be used to secure the border. Or am I wrong?[/QUOTE)

Ft Bliss is at El Paso
Air Force at Tucson
Army at Ft. Huachuca
Luke AFB at Phoenix
Marine Bases at Yuma
and 29 Palms
Navy at El Centro
Sillinss Tucson and Phoenix are well removed from the border.

Huachuca is closer but is spooks not regular military.

Border guarding is not a reasonable military mission. End up with bad soldiers and bad border guards.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
[quote=lvmensch;51794957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

Border guarding is not a reasonable military mission. End up with bad soldiers and bad border guards.
1. So "closeness" defines a "reasonable" military mission? Guess we'd better bring out troops home from all postings in the Middle East then.

2. Why exactly is "border guarding" not a reasonable military issue? That's what virtually every other country in the world does.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:55 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Will the wall be 30,000 feet high? Because increasingly illegal immigration is coming from Asia via visa overstays.

A wall will be a HUGE money-sink. Not only will it cost $30 billion at a minimum to build, but it would take thousands of people both patrolling and electronically monitoring to enforce it properly, would require periodic maintenance that would get more expensive as it gets older.

It is also an unnecessary middle finger to a peaceful neighbor. Immigration politics in the U.S. has already ensured that Mexico will have nationalist politics for years. The current and most former presidents of Mexico since the 1980s have been American-educated businessmen. The current front-runner is far from that. He is the most left-wing populist that Mexico has had since the 1930s. He will re-nationalize the oil business, which will raise our gas prices. He'll do everything he can to orient Mexico's economy away from the U.S. & toward China, Europe, Latin America. Firms in the U.S. that do business with Mexico are going to lose a lot of money after this year's election down there.

The easy way to deal with illegeal immigration is to make employing one the equivalent of dealing drugs. Imprison the owner and manager of any and every business that employs them. It will end overnight.

Legalize drugs and you take away the leverage and incentive of the drug trade. I don't see the mafia making money off of bootlegging alcohol, do you?

Last edited by redguard57; 05-05-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-05-2018, 11:02 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Will the wall be 30,000 feet high? Because increasingly illegal immigration is coming from Asia via visa overstays.

A wall will be a HUGE money-sink. Not only will it cost $30 billion at a minimum to build, but it would take thousands of people both patrolling and electronically monitoring to enforce it properly, would require periodic maintenance that would get more expensive as it gets older.

It is also an unnecessary middle finger to a peaceful neighbor. Immigration politics in the U.S. has already ensured that Mexico will have nationalist politics for years. The current and most former presidents of Mexico since the 1980s have been American-educated businessmen. The current front-runner is far from that. He is the most left-wing populist that Mexico has had since the 1930s. He will re-nationalize the oil business, which will raise our gas prices. He'll do everything he can to orient Mexico's economy away from the U.S. & toward China, Europe, Latin America. Firms in the U.S. that do business with Mexico are going to lose a lot of money after this year's election down there.

The easy way to deal with illegeal immigration is to make employing one the equivalent of dealing drugs. Imprison the owner and manager of any and every business that employs them. It will end overnight.

Legalize drugs and you take away the leverage and incentive of the drug trade. I don't see the mafia making money off of bootlegging alcohol, do you?

The wall doesn't have to be 30,000 feet high to deter border jumpers. The good walls in place already have been very effective. The wall is cost effective when you consider it will cost $25 billion to build vs the over $100 billion that illegal aliens cost us every single year. It would not require thousands of Border Patrol to patrol either. They can focus their efforts on the more difficult and dangerous areas to enter where there won't be any walls.

So securing our border is giving our neighbor the middle finger? How so since we allow many of their citizens in legally? They may be peaceful but they aren't good neighbors because they have allowed their citizens to take advantage of us for far too long. So are you saying that Mexico is going to blackmail us for stopping their citizens from coming here illegally? Seems to me that isn't a good neighbor.

Not all illegal aliens are looking for work. Certainly not criminals, terrorists and the drug cartels aren't looking for work. Sure, end the job incentive and punish the employers but we'd also have to deny their kids our birthright citizenship and benefits or they will still come here.

As for the visa over stayers that will just have to be dealt with in a different way and well it should but let's not ignore that we still have thousands crossing our border illegally every year also. Here's some links for you.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/586853001/

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

Old 05-05-2018, 02:58 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

When my daughter was in training at Huachuca, I looked at the mountain range to the SW of the fort, and saw some pictures in Google Earth of the border "wall" there. There was not one, not two, but three whole strands of barbed wire on that "wall".
Quote:
So put the soldiers who are substandard (COs?) on the border to begin with. More incentive for the real soldiers to stay on point, if they don't want the duty.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:08 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
When my daughter was in training at Huachuca, I looked at the mountain range to the SW of the fort, and saw some pictures in Google Earth of the border "wall" there. There was not one, not two, but three whole strands of barbed wire on that "wall".

So put the soldiers who are substandard (COs?) on the border to begin with. More incentive for the real soldiers to stay on point, if they don't want the duty.

That's the problem with much of our border barriers today is they are merely flimsy fencing. The type of wall already approved by congress back in 2006 along the most porous 700 miles were to be the double walls already erected on much shorter sections of the border and those are they types of wall that have proven to be very effective.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

Sierra Vista has a relatively small problem with illegal aliens. There is a large amount of legal Mexican traffic as it is used as a shopping center by the Mexicans living near the border. But the border there is a long way from other civilization and has very few ways out...all of which are subject to heavy border patrol scrutiny and many road blocks. So you can easily cross the border but you then have to figure out how to get 60 miles with very few options. Any van or none local truck in the area is virtually certain to be stopped. That stretch is also continuously scanned with radar from a captive balloon. It was rumored that the cartels had regular rooms at the motel across the street so they could communicate when the balloon was down...

Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 PM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
4 Ways to End The Illegal Immigration Crisis

If it were up to me, the first thing I would do is fund contractors to complete the wall between Mexico and the United States. Because you can't manage what you can't control. And immigration shoudl defintely be well and tightly controlled by the United States.

The second thing I would do is use the National Guard as a huge buffer for the border agents we currently have, because the number of border agents we have now simply cannot keep up with the new influx of illegal immigrants. They need help now.

Once the wall is complete, I would wind down using the National Guard and fund the required number of border agents that would be needed to properly control what is effectively now an open border.
It's not a crisis. That's the real issue here. I lived and worked in viewing distance of the nation's busiest border crossing, never once was myself or anyone I knew ever in danger as a result of that border proximity. The funny thing is that the further you get from a border, the more gung-ho people get about building a wall. People in Iowa and Kentucky and West Virginia love to get on board the "build the wall" statements, but the majority of those on the border simply do not see the need because the most likely crossing points ALREADY HAVE HEAVILY SECURED BORDERS!!!!!

Ever try to cross back to the US from Tijuana? It takes hours, and that's as a WHITE AMERICAN CITIZEN...imagine how hard it is when you're brown and don't speak English.

San Diego has one of the lowest crime rates in the country (America's 11 most dangerous cities, all are very far from borders, closest one in the top 11 is about 500 miles from Mexico...while the 11 safest contain several cities less than 2 hours drive from the border, including Chula Vista and El Paso, both cities that sit right on Mexico) and yet less than half of the city supports a border wall.
Even 22% of San Diego Republicans do not support a border wall.

WHY WOULD 22% OF REPUBLICANS IN AMERICA'S MOST POPULATED BORDER WITH MEXICO BE AGAINST A BORDER WALL???

That's the real question here. If a border wall is so necessary and it's clearly a partisan issue, how come the support isn't more universal in the city where you'd expect people to be most concerned about an issue that clearly matters to Republicans in places without Mexican people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates