Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 09:00 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
It's not a crisis. That's the real issue here. I lived and worked in viewing distance of the nation's busiest border crossing, never once was myself or anyone I knew ever in danger as a result of that border proximity. The funny thing is that the further you get from a border, the more gung-ho people get about building a wall. People in Iowa and Kentucky and West Virginia love to get on board the "build the wall" statements, but the majority of those on the border simply do not see the need because the most likely crossing points ALREADY HAVE HEAVILY SECURED BORDERS!!!!!

Ever try to cross back to the US from Tijuana? It takes hours, and that's as a WHITE AMERICAN CITIZEN...imagine how hard it is when you're brown and don't speak English.

San Diego has one of the lowest crime rates in the country (America's 11 most dangerous cities, all are very far from borders, closest one in the top 11 is about 500 miles from Mexico...while the 11 safest contain several cities less than 2 hours drive from the border, including Chula Vista and El Paso, both cities that sit right on Mexico) and yet less than half of the city supports a border wall.
Even 22% of San Diego Republicans do not support a border wall.

WHY WOULD 22% OF REPUBLICANS IN AMERICA'S MOST POPULATED BORDER WITH MEXICO BE AGAINST A BORDER WALL???

That's the real question here. If a border wall is so necessary and it's clearly a partisan issue, how come the support isn't more universal in the city where you'd expect people to be most concerned about an issue that clearly matters to Republicans in places without Mexican people?

I would say that since there are 11 million plus illegal aliens in our country most of whom have crossed our border illegally that indeed that is a crisis. You would be wrong about there being a heavily secured border along the most porous areas. In 2006 congress passed the Secure Fence Act and that was to build the double wall along those areas because most of it was merely flimsy fencing. Only a few short miles were built and in those areas it cut back illegal immigration dramatically. Trump is seeking financing for the balance of that 700 miles.

San Diego is one of the places where those good walls have been built so it's not surprising if it has a lower crime rate. The same thing applies to those other areas you mentioned. Well if 22% of San Diego residents do not support the wall then that means that 78% do! Those who don't want the wall whom are mostly Democrats by the way want the flow of illegals to continue based on their own personal agendas. I'm sure many of the residents in border towns have relatives here illegally already or are sympathizers to them. Not too surprising. However, no links were provided proving who approves of it and who doesn't anyway.

Not sure what you are implying about the Republicans as most mainstream Republicans do want the wall and our southern border with Mexico is where most illegals are getting through. This is not a race or skin issue it's a law issue and it's not just about increased crime rates it's the other negative factors that illegal immigration brings to mainstream Americans. I am a Republican and I don't live that far from the border and I know the good walls work. If we had a border with China or any other country and it was mostly the Chinese, etc. coming here illegally I would still feel the same way. The race card doesn't work anymore.

Here's a link for you. Illegal aliens are still crashing our southern border so yes we do need the wall.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/ille...over-last-year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 06:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If only that would happen. This thread has been going for several years and they still aren't arresting the employers. And people are still saying that the rich employers are the ones who stand to gain. And people are still saying that the rest of us are paying for the education and everything else that illegals get for free. Yet nothing has happened. As for the people who thought Trump would build a wall......and that wouldn't have done any good anyway. I still say Arrest the Employers.
So persecuting migrants and building a wall still does nothing

Old 05-10-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So persecuting migrants and building a wall still does nothing

Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" and enforcing our immigration laws isn't persecution. The good walls already built on our border have been very effective we just need to complete the 700 mile long wall along the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress back in 2006.

There have been several employers prosecuted for hiring illegal aliens lately and that's good. However, not everyone crossing our border illegally is looking for jobs. Certainly criminals, terrorists and drug runners aren't, thus the wall. We should however, mandate e-verify in every workplace.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/586853001/

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,458,844 times
I don't know why "The Art of the Deal" Trumpster hasn't proposed this, as it is so perfect. "Make Walls Not War"!

The USA sends ~$38 billion in military aid to Israel. They seemed to figure out how to build a wall.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...nels-1.5441731
1) Ask them to build us a wall instead?

(MWNW caps for sale)

2) Place the sanctuary 'tent' cities next door to the politicians and their progeny?
Let the illegals children attend the politicians and their funders children's and grand children's schools? (Sidwell Friends, private schools, etc...)

The basic premise that would correct the problem is fairly simple in a Wisdom of Solomon way -
Make the politicians AND THEIR FUNDERS endure the consequences of their own misguided policies.

3) Get clever to address the misguided media emphasis that the USA is so 'mean cruel and heartless' to enforce our own rule of law, simply apply the illegal immigrants country of origin own laws on illegal immigrants upon those in USA illegally.

I guarantee it would solve the vast majority of the BS that goes back and forth on the topic of illegal immigration.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:03 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
There are two reasons people enter the U.S. illegally -
  • To get jobs
  • To deal in the drug trade

A stupid vanity wall is not going to stop either of those things. If there is money to be had in illegal labor or in drugs, it will find a way here, I guarantee that.

Marijuana is seized at the border FAR more than any other drug. Look up the USBP's stats.

Arrest the employers - make employing an illegal immigrant like DUI. First offense, serious fine. Second offense, jail time. Then legalize drugs. It'll stop overnight.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There are two reasons people enter the U.S. illegally -
  • To get jobs
  • To deal in the drug trade
A stupid vanity wall is not going to stop either of those things. If there is money to be had in illegal labor or in drugs, it will find a way here, I guarantee that.

Marijuana is seized at the border FAR more than any other drug. Look up the USBP's stats.

Arrest the employers - make employing an illegal immigrant like DUI. First offense, serious fine. Second offense, jail time. Then legalize drugs. It'll stop overnight.

So you didn't read the links I provided in my post #274? Yes, good walls do work it's already been proven. Not saying that it will stop illegal entry 100% but it will curtail it very much. That's the idea....to curtail it!

Repeating, not all illegal entrants are looking for work thus the wall. I agree however, that e-verify and punishing the employers will help remove that incentive to come here but it's not the total solution and I already described why. There is more then one incentive that brings illegal entrants here. Unless we deny their kids our birthright citizenship they will still come for that reason also.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Someone really has to explain to me, point by point, why they believe there is a border "crisis", because I don't understand the problem at all.

Every economist I've listened to over the past 3 years (ranging from university professors to tv talking heads to the state ag economist) says America is desperate for trained workers, and our economy is teetering because there aren't enough workers for the available jobs right now, and certainly in the projected future. So, doesn't America NEED these people who want to come in??? (Yes, we need to do a better job of training American workers. IMHO that is the actual "crisis".)

So, somebody please list in a post below 5 specific reasons why you think there is a border "crisis". Crisis means "a time of intense difficulty, trouble or danger." If you can provide 2 specific proofs for each of the 5 specific reasons you give, I'll take you seriously.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe there is a constitutional reason that troops cannot be used to secure the border. Or am I wrong?
Federal troops can not be deployed within the borders of the Unites States during peace time. This is known as the Posse Comitatus Act. National Guard can be deployed because they are State Militia and can be used by the Governors of their States to enforce federal laws if need be.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM

352 posts, read 324,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I would say that since there are 11 million plus illegal aliens in our country most of whom have crossed our border illegally that indeed that is a crisis. You would be wrong about there being a heavily secured border along the most porous areas. In 2006 congress passed the Secure Fence Act and that was to build the double wall along those areas because most of it was merely flimsy fencing. Only a few short miles were built and in those areas it cut back illegal immigration dramatically. Trump is seeking financing for the balance of that 700 miles.

San Diego is one of the places where those good walls have been built so it's not surprising if it has a lower crime rate. The same thing applies to those other areas you mentioned. Well if 22% of San Diego residents do not support the wall then that means that 78% do! Those who don't want the wall whom are mostly Democrats by the way want the flow of illegals to continue based on their own personal agendas. I'm sure many of the residents in border towns have relatives here illegally already or are sympathizers to them. Not too surprising. However, no links were provided proving who approves of it and who doesn't anyway.

Not sure what you are implying about the Republicans as most mainstream Republicans do want the wall and our southern border with Mexico is where most illegals are getting through. This is not a race or skin issue it's a law issue and it's not just about increased crime rates it's the other negative factors that illegal immigration brings to mainstream Americans. I am a Republican and I don't live that far from the border and I know the good walls work. If we had a border with China or any other country and it was mostly the Chinese, etc. coming here illegally I would still feel the same way. The race card doesn't work anymore.

Here's a link for you. Illegal aliens are still crashing our southern border so yes we do need the wall.

You do understand that the overwhelming majority of "illegal aliens" do not cross the border illegally, right? They come over on visas and overstay them. They fly here on "vacation" and just never leave.

I said 22% OF REPUBLICANS. Not residents. This shows your fundamental lack of reading comprehension, which would explain your lack of understanding on this issue. You take a very simplistic view of the problem (11,000,000 illegal immigrants means they are just pouring over the border in places where there are no walls) and that view is very incorrect. Republicans overwhelmingly support a border wall throughout the nation, but the support is no higher in the city where the border is most significant. As much as 45% of the total unauthorized migrant population enters the country with visas that allow them to visit or reside in the U.S. for a limited amount of time. Known as “overstayers,” these migrants become part of the unauthorized population when they remain in the country after their visas expire.

So a wall wouldn't even be effective anyway. Plus, THEY ALREADY CROSS THROUGH THE BORDER WALL AT TIJUANA/SAN YSIDRO. They hide in trucks, use false documentation or other means to go through Border Patrol officers. Only about 25-30% of them actually sneak over the border. And again, a wall would do nothing to stop the ones you want to stop anyway...the criminals that Trump talks about DIG TUNNELS:

So again, a heavily fortified border wall did nothing to stop the cartel from smuggling drugs, guns and criminals into the country. But yeah, let's spend BILLIONS OF DOLLARS on a wall that will do nothing to keep us safe. Literally nothing. But sure, ignorance is bliss. Just build a wall and the problem will be solved, right?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
You do understand that the overwhelming majority of "illegal aliens" do not cross the border illegally, right? They come over on visas and overstay them. They fly here on "vacation" and just never leave.

I said 22% OF REPUBLICANS. Not residents. This shows your fundamental lack of reading comprehension, which would explain your lack of understanding on this issue. You take a very simplistic view of the problem (11,000,000 illegal immigrants means they are just pouring over the border in places where there are no walls) and that view is very incorrect. Republicans overwhelmingly support a border wall throughout the nation, but the support is no higher in the city where the border is most significant. As much as 45% of the total unauthorized migrant population enters the country with visas that allow them to visit or reside in the U.S. for a limited amount of time. Known as “overstayers,” these migrants become part of the unauthorized population when they remain in the country after their visas expire.

So a wall wouldn't even be effective anyway. Plus, THEY ALREADY CROSS THROUGH THE BORDER WALL AT TIJUANA/SAN YSIDRO. They hide in trucks, use false documentation or other means to go through Border Patrol officers. Only about 25-30% of them actually sneak over the border. And again, a wall would do nothing to stop the ones you want to stop anyway...the criminals that Trump talks about DIG TUNNELS:

So again, a heavily fortified border wall did nothing to stop the cartel from smuggling drugs, guns and criminals into the country. But yeah, let's spend BILLIONS OF DOLLARS on a wall that will do nothing to keep us safe. Literally nothing. But sure, ignorance is bliss. Just build a wall and the problem will be solved, right?

You're wrong. Most illegal aliens in our country were border jumpers not visa over stayers. Actually Mexicans are the largest group of over staying their visas also. Of course a wall wouldn't stop visa over stayers but it will deter border jumpers (links provided). Visa over stayers need to be addressed in a different way but they are both a problem and both need to be addressed.

The good double walls erected on shorter sections of the border cannot be tunneled under nor climbed over and have you ever heard of tunnel sensors? Besides, it's mostly the drug cartels that dig tunnels. So cars and trucks aren't being inspected for illegal aliens? Since when? No one is saying that the good walls will stop illegal entry 100% but they have been very effective in reducing those numbers a lot so yes it's a lot more than nothing. Those who refuse to accept the truth about the walls are the ignorant ones, not me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates