Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
There is no need for walls and border patrols. Just terminate all incentives for undocumented immigrants. No work, no odd jobs, no renting rooms, no school for kids, no driving without licence, no insurance...
A few months and they are all gone.
Every one of those that you mentioned has been blocked or overturned by courts at one point or another. States are giving out ID cards to illegals so they can open bank accounts and apply for benefits. They are allowed to apply for driver licenses. Employers aren't penalized for hiring illegals and if they do comply somebody will take them to court. Tell me that "comprehensive" immigration reform will undo this.

This from just 2 days ago.

"New York City’s 500,000 undocumented immigrants will be able to open bank accounts, visit libraries and use medical clinics, thanks to an official municipal identification card approved by the City Council.

The measure, backed by Mayor Bill de Blasio, passed in a 43 to 3 vote today with two abstentions. The photo IDs will display the holder’s name, birth date, address and -- at the cardholder’s option -- a self-designated gender."

New York to Issue ID Cards for Undocumented Immigrants - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
As much as I am no Bill Gates fan I agree with him strongly on one thing. Why do we send college educated students home
Have you tried to get a job at Microsoft? Gates wants you to believe that he has scoured the country and has hired every single computer science graduate and still has room for more. Nothing is further from the truths. I have had a chance to witness what the process is like. They put you through 5 rounds of interviews, if you are lucky to get one, give you mind teaser questions, ask you technical questions that you have to answer while on the phone and you still won't get the job. And that is for an American computer science major who has graduated from a respected private college. How is it that someone fresh off the boat from Mumbai is qualified but a Georgetown graduate isn't?

Old 06-28-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Invade and annex Mexico.
That way we at least get all their natural resources and exciting telenovelas.
Never mind invading Mexico. I suggest you hang on to California.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Have you tried to get a job at Microsoft? Gates wants you to believe that he has scoured the country and has hired every single computer science graduate and still has room for more. Nothing is further from the truths. I have had a chance to witness what the process is like. They put you through 5 rounds of interviews, if you are lucky to get one, give you mind teaser questions, ask you technical questions that you have to answer while on the phone and you still won't get the job. And that is for an American computer science major who has graduated from a respected private college. How is it that someone fresh off the boat from Mumbai is qualified but a Georgetown graduate isn't?
You missed my point. Gates is talking about foreign students that have graduated from a US University. Upon graduating from a US University the would receive a green card because those are the types of immigrants we want.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,018 times
I agree with the fourth suggestion about the welfare state. When I lived in Michigan and worked at a grocery store we would have migrant workers who did not speak any english and were getting WIC? WTF? Why are illegals getting WIC in this country? Pisses me off to no end. We can barely take care of our own and yet we give billions in foreign aid to all these countries around the world. Ron Paul had it right, if you stop giving welfare to illegals they are less likely to come here.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I agree with the fourth suggestion about the welfare state. When I lived in Michigan and worked at a grocery store we would have migrant workers who did not speak any english and were getting WIC? WTF? Why are illegals getting WIC in this country? Pisses me off to no end. We can barely take care of our own and yet we give billions in foreign aid to all these countries around the world. Ron Paul had it right, if you stop giving welfare to illegals they are less likely to come here.
Another strawman. There is no indication that illegals get welfare in any substantial amount. What they do get mostly flows to citizen children.

They come for the jobs and the income from the jobs. And there does not appear to be any workable way to stop that.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
You are never going to stop Mexicans from traveling to areas that were once part of Mexico. And you are never going to stop people from fleeing persecution or seeking economic opportunity where it exists. It's the history of humankind.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
The problem with annexation is two issues:

1) Mexicans would become, at very least, US nationals .... and then the entire population of Mexico would promptly pack up and move the 50 states of the Union leaving us with a barren desert of nothingness.

2) The rest of Latin America would immediately want to be annexed.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Another strawman. There is no indication that illegals get welfare in any substantial amount. What they do get mostly flows to citizen children.

They come for the jobs and the income from the jobs. And there does not appear to be any workable way to stop that.
Sure there is -- you could very aggressively go after and penalize employers who hire illegal immigrants. Business wing Republicans don't want to aggressively apply enforcement measures against small businesses and Democrats don't want the illegal immigrants to leave so it's not going to happen politically but it sure as heck would work if the politicians decided to do it.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Sure there is -- you could very aggressively go after and penalize employers who hire illegal immigrants. Business wing Republicans don't want to aggressively apply enforcement measures against small businesses and Democrats don't want the illegal immigrants to leave so it's not going to happen politically but it sure as heck would work if the politicians decided to do it.
You have to have agreement between the sides. You can't get it except in a comprehensive bill. That is not going to happen.

I also doubt you could effectively go after the normal businesses that hire illegals. Sure you can stop a meat packer...but that will just shift the employment to the subcontractor areas where policing is practically impossible. And how to do this is well known in the communities that hire illegals.

We simply have to cut the problem down to something that can be managed and policed...and that practically implies legalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates