Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The draw is the country. Are you gonna eliminate that too? They know once they are in, somehow, somewhere they will find a job. If employee sanctions could have worked, it would have by now. The law has been in place since 1986.
When have you seen any company officers doing the perp walk for having hired illegal aliens. Back in the late 80s, a general I once worked for was being considered for a cabinet post when he was outed as having employed illegals as domestics for years. The only penalty he suffered for having broken the law was that he didn't get to be a cabinet official. Let's see some CEOs and COOs, some celebrities and some rich folk in orange jumpsuits, and then we can talk about whether the law works.

Quote:
BTW, where are all those low wage illegals everybody is talking about? I'd love to pay $20 to have my lawn mowed.
Look more closely.

I work for a Fortune 50 company, up until recently in the sprawling company headquarters. Up until a few years ago, the contract vendor cleaning force were all native-born Americans, black and white. Then suddenly--literally on a single Monday morning--that cleaning force turned 100% Latino.

I discovered later that the company had issued an ultimatum to the contract vendor: A cheaper contract or we go elsewhere. So the vendor came up with a cheaper contract.

A bit later than that, I was working a project that had me doing 14-16-hour days, so I was in the office as the cleaning shift changed. I noted this other thing as well: The day shift were Latinos who spoke English. The night shift was comprised by crews that spoke no English, but had a traveling team boss who did the English speaking as necessary.

Also, I speak a bit of Spanish and comprehend more than I speak. I could tell the day crew--when I heard them speaking to one another in Spanish--were Mexican. The night crew spoke a different dialect, which I learned later was Guatemalan.

Now, how was it the company's contract suddenly got cheap? And let me mention again, this is a Fortune 50 company, one of the most publically well-known companies in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Build a wall the entire length of the border with Mexico.

Since the Soviet Union .......did.....construct a wall that was very efficient, hire a contractor from Russia to build it.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's my point. It is not happening. Are you noticing the Tea Party/Chamber of Commerce feud? Republicans and businesses, big or small, were one and the same for generations. No more. The big business Republicans are now more aligned with Democrats on immigration, and more. Now we know why there are no "perp walks". Politicians have suddenly discovered they can literally import voters. The world will never be the same.
My point is that all this "build a wall" and "use the National Guard" and such talk is just wasted oxygen. Congress will never, ever do anything that changes the situation. They have no intention of doing anything more than making political statements that they would do something...except for the other guys. But they will all make sure nothing changes the status quo.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I agree with punishing those who employ illegals.
As long as they have incentives to come and to stay, they will come, and they will stay.

Cracking down on employers will do nothing to correct the illegal immigration problem, unless that crackdown is coupled with an across-the-board denial of public assistance to all illegals.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
A nation without borders is not a nation.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
It's certainly a FUBAR that's for sure, I worry because it's a Homeland Security issue, make no mistake about it. I have other concerns on a couple fronts, the first, I have two young men in my family who are seasoned veterans with US Army and have been employed with DHS, they both scored in the top 5% of their class in last years CBP test and are on their way changing agencies within the DHS and are working on the pt.-1 and pt.-2 test and then off to their LE FLETC training and then ship off to NM for their language barrier training again (had it in the US Army). I have no idea where their going to be deployed but it might be dangerous. The word their getting from their friends in the LE community is some type of a Para LE build up along the most dangerous entry points, it kind of reminds them both of some where's else they both have been and served.

The second, not sure if anyone is aware of this, but LE CBP operators found a huge book in the desert on how to make IED's/ VEBIED's and various other explosives used by the enemy and various other terrorist groups from the middle east and that can't be good. We need Leadership who recognizes that the border is dangerous to the public and to the safety of all American citizens inside our nations borders. As a tax payer, a parent and an American citizen, I have some very real concerns and can only hope we achieve some sort of law and order because America is country built on Law and Order to be followed by everyone, as far as I am concerned all illegals are criminals, each and everyone of them, all of them are nothing more then criminals with no respect for our Laws, no respects for our ways and no respect for our people. Get in the back of the line exactly like our Great grand parents.

Thank you.

Knight

Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Build a wall the entire length of the border with Mexico.

Since the Soviet Union .......did.....construct a wall that was very efficient, hire a contractor from Russia to build it.
It really wasn't very efficient at all. The Berlin Wall was only 87 miles long, and required an extreme amount of manpower to maintain and guard.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We already have more young workers than we can find jobs for--American workers. So your argument about needing younger workers is flawed.
the reason most fruits and vegetables that are grown in this country were in danger of not being processed during a time of intense border control?

Because American workers, even if unemployed, will not work in the fields.

No breaks, heat, work 6 am to 6 pm, little money, no benefits, disease,
poison being spread from planes,
women assaulted by plantation owners...

yeah right...would you do the work?
Would you want you son or daughter to do it?

Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Imagine if we did have a solid border wall but the people kept coming and formed a tent city at the base of that wall. It would be a humanitary crisis that would put the US in the worlds spotlight to help these people with proper food and shelter and the best way to help them would be to let them into the country. Even with a great wall we wouls still have this immigration problem but at least we could better control a possible terrorist crossing over unopposed.
What I don't understand is how come it is never the responsibility of the Mexican Gov to take care of their own people?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:00 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It really wasn't very efficient at all. The Berlin Wall was only 87 miles long, and required an extreme amount of manpower to maintain and guard.

Really ?

It seems every time someone was able to escape from the Soviet Union it made the news because it was so rare.

Ask residents of the old Soviet Union how hard it was to escape because of the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates