Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 PM

144 posts, read 184,755 times

Advertisements

I just envy living in a cleaner city where I can breathe and don't have to own a car to get around. I hate cars and it's too hot where I live. Oh, and I could do without the tornadoes and hurricanes. But I can simply move somewhere else in the US if that's what I want.:3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Americans do not envy anybody. Mainly, because Americans have no idea how anybody else in the world lives. Most Americans actually believe that the USA is the only country in the world where people have rights and liberties,, or exercise basic freedoms.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:40 PM

131 posts, read 168,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Many Americans want the U.S. to be more like Sweden.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...ica-be-sweden/

This sociologist has a plan to make America more like Sweden - The Washington Post

Why Sweden, not Switzerland, should be America

Could there be a more blatant admission of American cultural inferiority?
I dont see why...Sweden has lower test scores, higher crime rates per capita besides Homicide, higher taxes, less fame and seems just plain boring and not very interesting, there work hours are fantastic however.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 PM

165 posts, read 189,605 times
Quote:
Do Americans envy the European lifestyle?

Why The European Lifestyle Has Us Envious
I really don't understand this thread. For starters the US is a country, and you are trying to compare it to an entire continent. ??

Also I really don't understand what you mean by 'european lifestyle'. I've been to many countries in Europe, and lived in one for three years.

There is such a difference in not only the different countries I went to, but also within the countries themselves. I have been in packed cities, and rural towns/villages. I have seen coastal and mountains. The people are not all the same even within cities, much less the entire continent.

So which european lifestyle are you talking about? You need to really break it down a lot further than that.

I saw a thread like this about the American lifestyle. Same goes for that. There is no American lifestyle because everywhere is so different. The people are so different.

Both have hundreds of millions of people, different languages, different weather, different geography, different customs, etc....

I just don't see how that question could ever be answered.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
I think some Americans envy the European lifestyle. I think some Americans detest the European lifestyle. I also think many Americans like some aspects of both lifestyles.

Like anything, it's impossible to try to pigeonhole American thought into a specific viewpoint. You can't give a black and white answer to the OP's title question. It's a shades of gray answer.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Sigh. Of course some Americans envy the European lifestyle. Some Americans envy what they THINK is the European lifestyle. And many Americans - myself included - appreciate some aspects of the European lifestyle but love their American lifestyle and therefore are not one iota envious.

I enjoy visiting Europe, and I enjoyed living there. But most of all, I enjoy living in the US.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I love and am absolutely envious of some aspects of the European lifestyle: the architecture, the density, the walk ability, dynamic and distinct cities, the typically more worldly culture of its residents (Americans are uniquely provincial in their world outlook-if they have one at all- actually thinking that elsewhere in the world others are always looking to us as the beacon to measure all else by), the "cafe culture" of good food, wine and a lively intelligent conversation as a daily elixir. But of course much of my perspective is colored by knowing Europe only minutely and just through visiting it very selectively as a tourist, even though those visits add up to months and in over a dozen countries through the years.

I will say that finding those rare places in the U.S. that provide the essence of what at least I prefer about the European culture; walkable, clean, fairly dense cities and neighborhoods in a beautiful setting with lots of cafés and bars, theaters and museums, some good historic architecture and an educated and progressive populous that evokes those same qualities can be even better than Europe. I get to have my nice single family home and garden, fairly cheap car ownership, free, accessible beaches and still be able to easily walk to and enjoy my neighborhood and city like a European.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 AM

15 posts, read 19,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
America has better modern architecture and better cities. Period.
Europe has overall better cities, but it lacks city like LA or Las Vegas.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-01-2014 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Generally in Great Debates 1-2 sentence posts are not allowed but since this thread was moved to here it will remain.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Do Americans envy the European lifestyle?

Why The European Lifestyle Has Us Envious
I have no reason to envy anyone let alone a "lifestyle" I know nothing about and have never experienced.
So I am not part of that "Us" in the title of your article. It's all a bunch of hooey.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I wish we had the trains and subways they have in Europe. The older architecture they have is also more appealing. Pretty much everything else, I prefer the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates