Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Isn't it true that America doesn't have high culture? The things that are associated with high culture in America are associated with Europe. Take New England, for example. America looks to Europe for culture and prestige, not the other way around.
“What Do You Think of Western Civilization?”
“I Think It Would Be a Good Idea”

Mohandas Gandhi

Last edited by weltschmerz; 07-01-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
Quote:
Yeah, but those luxurious homes are almost always in soul-destroying sprawl.
I have never seen any soul destroying sprawl- there are good and bad suburban areas just as there are good and bad urban areas. But for actually living, the decent to good and great suburban areas are far superior to anything else. Nice manicured lawns, leafy boulevards, tidy construction of both residential and retail and business construction.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,476 times
Quote:
Isn't it true that America doesn't have high culture?
What exactly is European high culture and who lives it? 1%ers aren't exclusive to America. 99% of Europeans aren't running around their castles whose walls are lined with old master paintings of their ancestors.
It sounds like the lifestyle envy isn't for Europe as a whole per se as much yearning to be a wealthy, white landed gentry Englishman or Frenchman from the early 1900s aka Downton Abbey, the royal enclosure at Ascot, or the Parisian café culture. Plenty of scandal, disease and disgrace goes along with that as well. America has it. It's called Biltmore, the Kentucky Derby and Starbucks (college town indie coffee shops can also join the party)

Forget those invisible, cultureless tan, black and brown people of northern Africa, the middle east and India responsible for introducing architectural influences, flowers, tea, chess, polo and half the jewels in all those crowns those English royals plop on their heads during ceremonies as well and soulless American ex pat musicians who brought jazz to Franch and rich American heiresses who brought their inheritances to broke, titled aristos so they could keep their castles standing that visitors today pay $40 per person to tour which pays their bills.

It's hilarious to think that regular joes, especially Americans, can waltz up to the palace gates and have tea with the Queen just because it's soooo much more civilized and people are so much nicer and cultured.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I have never seen any soul destroying sprawl- there are good and bad suburban areas just as there are good and bad urban areas. But for actually living, the decent to good and great suburban areas are far superior to anything else. Nice manicured lawns, leafy boulevards, tidy construction of both residential and retail and business construction.
I agree with you.

Let's see...today I drove out into the countryside and bought a lot of plants at a fantastic nursery. Then I came back to my acre lot with my truck loaded down with plants, and got to work planting them. As I worked outside in my green, spacious yard under the shade trees (for which I am grateful, because it was hotter than Hades out there!), several of my neighbors stopped and talked with me. One of them asked if I was going to be alone on the Fourth of July, because my husband is out of town often. He offered to bring me some BBQ if I was - and he also offered to watch my house for me if I was going out of town. His wife and I enjoyed talking about our rescued dogs and how much fun they have cavorting around in our fenced back yards - especially when the raccoons get into their dogfood! OH MY!

Later today, I got cleaned up and drove 3 minutes away to the local grocery store which sells locally grown, organic produce and I stocked up on stuff for salads and smoothies that I make with homemade yogurt (with milk I get from a local producer). I am really focusing on my health since I had a torn achilles tendon a few months ago and had to have surgery, which went great because of the excellent medical providers around here. So in addition to eating healthy, I am also walking three miles a day through my neighborhood, and taking yoga classes which are very well attended by my neighbors as well.

Our neighborhood just added the coolest thing - and it's right in front of my house! Someone built a "book house" which is a little hut type thing that holds books. The idea is to borrow a book and also leave a book. I love this because every evening when it cools down, I see families walking around the neighborhood and stopping to exchange books and talk.

I can't wait for the book club to start back up in a few weeks! It's just neighborhood women. We also have a very active volunteer group which helps abused women get job training so they can rebuild their lives independently.

IN CASE ANYONE THINKS I'M BRAGGING, I need to point out that we just bought our house a month ago, and that it was $38,000 BELOW the average sales price for homes in my small Texas city. Definitely middle class.

No...I really don't know what people mean when they talk about "soul destroying suburban sprawl." Life is what you make it, whether you live in a metro loft, the projects, or a quiet suburban neighborhood in a little town in Texas.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-01-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
America has extensive high-culture.
You have it backwards -- to this day, European aristocracy, who has the high culture, still views the American rich as unrefined, unsophisticated and rough around the edges. I don't think we even have an defined aristocracy in US, like those in Europe.

American tycoon-rich tried to emulate European grandeur, yet were still considered "cowboys."

European aristocracies have clear lineages that go several centuries. American lineages are overnight wonders in comparison.

Quote:
The American "brand" is NASCAR, Bud-Lite, and obese doctrinaire rural bumpkins.
Not sure if you mean American brand from and American perspective or European perspective. In Europe NASCAR is an unknown concept, and beer is a nothing. Cowboys, wringing their guns, loud, outgoing, short-fuse -- yes, this is the American Brand in Europe. Obese tourists too, I admit.

Quote:
The European "brand" is sophisticated wine connoisseurs living next to a 900-year-old castle.
Again, not sure from which perspective. Europeans don't view Europeans this way. Their division is main-city intellectuals against uncultured provincials and emigrants that have moved into "their" city.

Quote:
American peasants present themselves as kings.
Again, I have no idea where you get this from. You mean American farmers present themselves as kings?

Quote:
Intellectuals and artists are marginalized as effete and disconnected "elites".
Intellectuals and artists as elites? Where?

At least here on East Coast big cities, intellectuals are connected to Universities, and are viewed as... intellectuals. Meanwhile, in NYC, many artists are bohemians, cool, but we never think of them as elite.

We view as elites politicians, wall street financiers, influential media and TV personalities, and some extremely rich engaged in the political arena.

Quote:
European peasants are no less benighted and insular (and in many cases even more so), but they don't pace the national narrative.
Again, not sure where that is coming from. European peasants "know their place" in society. They are provincial, uncultured, unsophisticated, and their sole purpose in life is to produce milk and wheat for the cultured people in the cities.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,433 times
The answer to the OP is "no"... Europe has zero Super Bowl wins.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM

261 posts, read 418,046 times
Quote:
Simple.

The European lifestyle is walking to the boulangerie for freshly baked bread. It's taking your time to enjoy the finer things in life. It's discussing the writings of Sartre and Molière over a glass of wine at a neighborhood cafe. It's traveling across metro areas on trams and in high speed trains. It's being able to pursue your heart's desire without worrying about health insurance (or a lack thereof). It's savoring the beauty of this thing called life.

The American lifestyle is driving your gas guzzling SUV to Walmart. And it's working 45 hours per week to afford the monster mortgage on a McMansion. Furthermore, you have to stay at the 45 hour per week job just to keep health benefits.

I don't know about the European lifestyle, I never been there, but I like your description of it, and I think you pretty much nailed the American lifestyle for many Americans all across the country.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Quote:
Here are a few things some people say makes the European lifestyle superior.

-socialized medicine
-better architecture, cities
-more vacation time
-shorter work hours
-deeper, more meaningful friendships
-better wine and food
-better fashion
-more pedestrian/transit-oriented lifestyle
-better-looking people
-less income inequality
-more cultured, sophisticated
-worldy rather and cosmpolitan than insular and provincial
-slim rather than fat
-contemplative and considerate rather than stupid and boorish
-Bistros vs Walmart
Yep; that's LIFE basically, except lived in much better terms. US could learn & apply a few things if it wasn't for the people here to cling on living in the 1700's still....

Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know a lot of Americans who enjoy visiting Europe, but I don't know anyone who wants to move there - myself included. That being said, if I HAD to, I'm sure I'd enjoy myself - just like I've enjoyed myself wherever I've lived!
Yes - because you live in Texas -- you're not going to meet many Texans who think living anywhere else would be better.

Americans for the most part aren't like Europeans. We're not descended only from Europe, we get our culture from other sources including American Indians and the culture that came from slaves.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
How about walkability killing sprawl. Most suburbia makes it impossible to get around without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates