Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 AM

741 posts, read 914,751 times

Advertisements

No, it's because a lot of "Liberal" policies are rooted in awful idealism that completely fails the acid test of 'reality' so whenever they're confronted by the painful real world consequences of bad 'liberal' policies, they're unable to delude themselves into believing that everything is OK, but they'll still go back to being 'Liberals" at dinner parties when everything is safely tucked back into the realm of 'well-intentioned theory'.

Quote:
"I'm at the breaking point," said Gretchin Gardner, an Austin artist who bought a 1930s bungalow in the Bouldin neighborhood just south of downtown in 1991 and has watched her property tax bill soar to $8500 this year.

"It's not because I don't like paying taxes," said Gardner, who attended both meetings [of "irate homeowners"]. "I have voted for every park, every library, all the school improvements, for light rail, for anything that will make this city better. But now I can't afford to live here anymore."
(and just to clarify: "Conservatives" have absolutely no high ground on this, either. Delusional idealism is equally distributed among parties)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:07 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Many of my white liberal friends and aquaintences seem to verbally and public support liberal democratic policies, but secretly harbor resentment toward many democratic policies.

Here are some examples?

1. Go out their way to support immigration verbally among friends and coworkers. Talk privately about how America is being so called "colonized" by immigrants (and their children). Resent immigrants and the welfare given to them.
2. Talk about how we need hardworking highly skilled talent. "we love them". Resent workplace competition and oppose the whole h1b visa scheme.
3. Appear to be dismiss and laugh at those white red neck racists. Resent affirmative action when they look around and there aren't many white people or that they couldn't get the job they wanted.
4. Talk about compassion for undocumented immigrants. Resent working class job competition. Resent the so called "drain" on our social services.

These are just some of too many examples.

It tends to be not rich whites or poor whites, but whites in the middle and slightly upper middle who have this kind of inconsistent behavior. Sort of like tea party at heart, too shy to show it.

Do you encounter these "liberals"?
At least they know the right thing to do. I resent people living 100% off the dole (in my country, obv not America since America doesn't have the dole) but I know that we absolutely need to have the dole because letting people starve or be homeless is immoral. I'd get personal satisfaction out of making them sweat and eking out the money as vouchers for eachindividual thing like food, housing, etc. But I recognise that it is better for them and for society and their children to give it as cash and let them allocate it.

It's the difference between being an adult and a child. Adults act in a way they know is right even if acting another way would give them personal satisfaction.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times
Quote:
Many liberals are resentful to immigrants, and we aren't talking strictly uncontrolled immigration. Though, they don't get to that level of discretion because they refuse to analyze it for the fear of something.

Against illegal immigration? That puts you in the category of hate mongers who always look for scapegoats.

What about affirmative action? Shouldn't a liberal support it?
"many liberals are resentful to immigrants"? i guess you mean, among the people you personally know? i could see how any individual person may not love their company hiring people from other countries, but still support the overall idea that we should hire people from other countries where we cannot find people to fill jobs from the American-citizen pool.

Against illegal immigration puts you in the category of hate mongers? I think most people are against illegal immigration, it's just that people have differing opinions on how to deal with the problem that isn't unique to the United States of America and is also common in countries that are islands and share no borders with other countries.

Why should liberals support something generalized as "affirmative action"? What about affirmative action is it that you assume 100% of 'liberals' should support?

Should we all be part of one of the two parties, and agree with 100% of their platform? Or should we be independent thinkers, who choose candidates to support based on who's basket of policies we prefer? When I buy a box of chocalates, I don't eat the ones I don't like, i let others take those. But, it's not going to stop me from buying the box of chocolates, unless someone starts making a box that has only the ones I like. Then I'll buy that one. But that's not happening, so for now, I have to pick the assortment that I like the best.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times
Quote:
It's much more simple than that. If one opposes something, then one should oppose it. The problem I described is that many liberals have doubts about something, but they keep supporting that something and in fact with overly strong enthusiasm.
so, like...a conservative who opposes gay marriage but turns out to be in a gay relationship? or a conservative who opposes legalized abortion but has had an abortion in their own family? or a conservative who wants to cut/change social security, but grew up collecting social security death benefits of their father?

you mean, things like that?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
When the tea party movement first started it was for three things.

1. Limited government
2. Lower taxes
3. Free markets

It was just a matter of time before every ... joined did it become the Birch Society and took up issues like immigration, abortion, war on drugs and gay bashing.

My county now has a "Liberty Alliance" former .... who are only for limited government, lower taxes and free markets, sans the other tangents.
What TEA Party people are you hanging out with?

Could you get one of them to come here and discuss this?

This has sparked me to start a TEA Party thread under the politics section asking TEA Party people what are their most important issues. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-23-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Speaking as a millennial, I can say that many of my counterparts have this idealistic vision of society based on being uninformed. By uninformed I mean just basing their opinions off snippets and memes rather than personally researching and then making a decision.

I also that many Whites over time come to realize that no, they are not the cause of the world's problems. Also, I think many Whites, out of fear, do not truly speak their mind. But with time, become angrier and angrier and then their vote shows it. Under Obama, Whites have become more Republican.

U.S. Whites More Solidly Republican in Recent Years

Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
The election of Barack Obama represented another step in the inevitable regression of the predominately white, middle-class, industrially-dominant America of 1945-1965. Many "conservatives" didn't understand this, and some, particularly the lesser-educated, viewed it as a threat, Thus a grass -roots movement was born -- one that was ridiculously easy for the Politically Correct and the so-called "progressives" to demonize.

So all sorts of unfunded "mandates" were rolled out in wake of a financial meltdown which Obama's groupies laid a the door of "Wall Street", but for which both political camps must share blame, because the truth -- that too much was promised to people who either didn't have the earning power, or couldn't handle the responsibility of debt financing -- would be too hard to swallow.

Obama got re-elected, but the safety valves remain tied down, and none of the dreamers within the security blanket of the Beltway wants, or knows how to face up to it.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-23-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Many "liberals" fall in to this category of hypocrisy: They think left, but they live right; they champion public education, but send their kids to private school, & cet.
Yep. They do that because they care too much what other people think and liberalism is the adult version of being part of the popular crowd in high school.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The election of Barack Obama represented another step in the inevitable regression of the predominately white, middle-class, industrially-dominant America of 1945-1965. Many "conservatives" didn't understand this, and some, particularly the lesser-educated, viewed it as a threat, Thus a grass -roots movement was born -- one that was ridiculously easy for the Politically Correct and the so-called "progressives" to demonize.

So all sorts of unfunded "mandates" were rolled out in wake of a financial meltdown which Obama's groupies laid a the door of "Wall Street", but for which both political camps must share blame, because the truth -- that too much was promised to people who either didn't have the earning power, or couldn't handle the responsibility of debt financing -- would be too hard to swallow.

Obama got re-elected, but the safety valves remain tied down, and none of the dreamers within the security blanket of the Beltway wants, or knows how to face up to it.
I'm not sure about how the election of Obama signifies the inevitable regression of the predominantly white America. Lots of white people voted for Obama. If they didn't, Obama wouldn't win. I think another post here said it well. That is, many white liberals support unrealistic idealism and later resent the reality when such idealism inevitably falls apart.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Speaking as a millennial, I can say that many of my counterparts have this idealistic vision of society based on being uninformed. By uninformed I mean just basing their opinions off snippets and memes rather than personally researching and then making a decision.

I also that many Whites over time come to realize that no, they are not the cause of the world's problems. Also, I think many Whites, out of fear, do not truly speak their mind. But with time, become angrier and angrier and then their vote shows it. Under Obama, Whites have become more Republican.

U.S. Whites More Solidly Republican in Recent Years
Bingo. Many white do not speak their mind. They fear. They become angrier and angrier.

They think what they can support all this idealism but they are discovering that there is not enough money to fund it. They might be the ones to be sacrificed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates