Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Many of my white liberal friends and aquaintences seem to verbally and public support liberal democratic policies, but secretly harbor resentment toward many democratic policies.

Here are some examples?

1. Go out their way to support immigration verbally among friends and coworkers. Talk privately about how America is being so called "colonized" by immigrants (and their children). Resent immigrants and the welfare given to them.
2. Talk about how we need hardworking highly skilled talent. "we love them". Resent workplace competition and oppose the whole h1b visa scheme.
3. Appear to be dismiss and laugh at those white red neck racists. Resent affirmative action when they look around and there aren't many white people or that they couldn't get the job they wanted.
4. Talk about compassion for undocumented immigrants. Resent working class job competition. Resent the so called "drain" on our social services.

These are just some of too many examples.

It tends to be not rich whites or poor whites, but whites in the middle and slightly upper middle who have this kind of inconsistent behavior. Sort of like tea party at heart, too shy to show it.

Do you encounter these "liberals"?
They are Hypocrite's plain and simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
When the tea party movement first started it was for three things.

1. Limited government
2. Lower taxes
3. Free markets

It was just a matter of time before every joined did it become the Birch Society and took up issues like immigration, abortion, war on drugs and gay bashing.

My county now has a "Liberty Alliance" former who are only for limited government, lower taxes and free markets, sans the other tangents.
If that's all the tea party stood for id be on board , Moderator cut: language id drive the Bus
But sadly Supporting Sara Palin, Calling Obama a monkey and a Kenyan at rallies, Letting the religious nut jobs in the party Ruined it for me!

Quote:
Bingo. Many white do not speak their mind. They fear. They become angrier and angrier.

They think what they can support all this idealism but they are discovering that there is not enough money to fund it. They might be the ones to be sacrificed.
Agree!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-23-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Contradictions are inevitable because the meaning of "right" (or "conservative", which isn't the same thing, but is close) and "left" (likewise, not the same thing as "liberal", but close) has shifted unrecognizably since its advent some 200 years ago. Personally I support most of the fiscal policies and many of the social policies of modern American conservatives, but I'm a secular person, and favor a strong and highly-centralized national government. Though I'm skeptical of radical transformations of society (conservative) and of the perfectibility of human nature (also conservative), I applaud a system that encourages national unity and which paces the cultural and intellectual discourse along centralized lines. This pulls my affinities, however nominally, towards the left/liberals, even though I disagree with so many of their actual policies.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM

179 posts, read 248,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Many "liberals" fall in to this category of hypocrisy: They think left, but they live right; they champion public education, but send their kids to private school, & cet.
You can champion public schools and send your kids to private school without being a hypocrit. I do that. It's the greatest gift I can give the public schools. I pay for my portion of the public school, vote for every bond issue, give to their foundation and support group fundraisers and don't use any of their services. The public schools here want about 1,000 more of me.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,400 times
I think this thread is too full of Binary thinking and that most of humanity lives in shades of grey.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:48 PM

741 posts, read 915,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I think this thread is too full of Binary thinking and that most of humanity lives in shades of grey.
To the flying monkeys of either party, life becomes a team sport all about their side versus the other side.
It has nothing to do with the reality of life but its the reality of our political situation in this country.

Probably plays a big role in why our policies are mocked by the rest of the world; they're reflective of the voters themselves.

That is to say, idiotic and absurd.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,400 times
And I can't believe no one here has ever heard this before:

'If you want to live like a Republican, vote Democratic!'

Old 07-23-2014, 03:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Add to that that what was conservative twenty-five years ago is now considered liberal and political labels become more confusing.

no its not ,a conservative twenty five years ago is no where near a liberal.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Many of my white liberal friends and aquaintences seem to verbally and public support liberal democratic policies, but secretly harbor resentment toward many democratic policies.

Here are some examples?

1. Go out their way to support immigration verbally among friends and coworkers. Talk privately about how America is being so called "colonized" by immigrants (and their children). Resent immigrants and the welfare given to them.
2. Talk about how we need hardworking highly skilled talent. "we love them". Resent workplace competition and oppose the whole h1b visa scheme.
3. Appear to be dismiss and laugh at those white red neck racists. Resent affirmative action when they look around and there aren't many white people or that they couldn't get the job they wanted.
4. Talk about compassion for undocumented immigrants. Resent working class job competition. Resent the so called "drain" on our social services.

It tends to be not rich whites or poor whites, but whites in the middle and slightly upper middle who have this kind of inconsistent behavior. Sort of like tea party at heart, too shy to show it.

These are not characteristic of liberal vs conservative, they are all about Movers and Shakers vs Rank and File. So rich influential conservative businessmen and the top elite of Republicans (eg Bush) complain about illegals (right along with Republican rank and file) while being all too eager to hire them as cheap labor. The Democrat elite also want illegal immigration to continue, but at the bottom they are more conflicted, depending on occupation - for example some union workers resent having their well-paid jobs with benefits being undercut by illegals, but liberal CEOs want the bottom line improved in obvious ways.

I haven't personally seen much of the contradictions in the OP points (they may be exceptions rather than the norm), liberals I've known have been pretty consistent in wanting to allow immigration - especially for kids. Actually I'm the only liberal I personally know who is dead-set against allowing unrestricted illegal immigration, even though I think legal controlled immigration should be expanded. We're supposed to be a nation of laws.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:

Here are some examples?

No. I don't. Why is it that the terms liberal and conservative conjures up so many stereotypes to the extent that one would feel a need to expound on pasty labels as something worthy of a defined portrait of a segment of society? Making the case before the evidence is in wouldn't qualify as a sustainable legal strategy any more than it serves this collection (1-4) of loaded statements.

People, not labels make decisions, then when those decisions are found to be lacking in some way they soon change their mind to suit that reality. People not labels are the backbone of all political movements, they sway one way just to find themselves swayed to the other, it's the nature of information with regard to politics. To posture the US populace as an army of blind followers fails to account for the constant socio/economic changes we've seen taking place over the years.

Immigration has been a changing dynamic rather than a constant one, affirmative action changes can be viewed in the same way, changing social norms change the voters minds just as they change their mind on economic issues, education issues and a host of other things that once were cemented in their minds.

I don't know of anyone who fits your highly defined version of a "white liberal", and moreover, the tendency to be disingenuous when queried about ones political notions started with the arrival of Archie Bunker, the buffoon who came around to seeing his views as a stumbling block at work and home. If anything it's been those who harbor a grudge over the advancement of blacks in America, and Mexican haters who feel a need to conceal their true thoughts.

I'm liberal and I'm here to say that I have some views that are in direct opposition to President Obamas, I also think we have plenty of foreigners here to advance the idea of equality of opportunity in America with regard to the foreign born, we simply need to make some difficult adjustments in order to assure the well being of ALL Americans first before we grant space to others. The only "drain" I'm complaining about is the one going to Wall Street. Please take a good look at America before summing us up as fools, or worse yet, ignorant fools.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
No. I don't. Why is it that the terms liberal and conservative conjures up so many stereotypes to the extent that one would feel a need to expound on pasty labels as something worthy of a defined portrait of a segment of society? Making the case before the evidence is in wouldn't qualify as a sustainable legal strategy any more than it serves this collection (1-4) of loaded statements.

People, not labels make decisions, then when those decisions are found to be lacking in some way they soon change their mind to suit that reality. People not labels are the backbone of all political movements, they sway one way just to find themselves swayed to the other, it's the nature of information with regard to politics. To posture the US populace as an army of blind followers fails to account for the constant socio/economic changes we've seen taking place over the years.

Immigration has been a changing dynamic rather than a constant one, affirmative action changes can be viewed in the same way, changing social norms change the voters minds just as they change their mind on economic issues, education issues and a host of other things that once were cemented in their minds.

I don't know of anyone who fits your highly defined version of a "white liberal", and moreover, the tendency to be disingenuous when queried about ones political notions started with the arrival of Archie Bunker, the buffoon who came around to seeing his views as a stumbling block at work and home. If anything it's been those who harbor a grudge over the advancement of blacks in America, and Mexican haters who feel a need to conceal their true thoughts.

I'm liberal and I'm here to say that I have some views that are in direct opposition to President Obamas, I also think we have plenty of foreigners here to advance the idea of equality of opportunity in America with regard to the foreign born, we simply need to make some difficult adjustments in order to assure the well being of ALL Americans first before we grant space to others. The only "drain" I'm complaining about is the one going to Wall Street. Please take a good look at America before summing us up as fools, or worse yet, ignorant fools.
A significant number of innovative companies are founded by immigrants. They are also creating jobs for other people.

We want to be consistent with our history. Each time americans feared immigrants , the Irish, the Italians, the whatever, but each time these immigrants made incredible contributions and wrote Americas history. Many of my liberal friends believe in this and this is the main reason they support immigration be it legal or undocumented, in the grand scheme of things. "No human being is illegal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates