Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times

Advertisements

I am a senior. Upon exiting a Panera's with coffee cup in hand and a 30ish couple entering at the same time. They continued to enter causing me to wait inside. They were followed by their three children. The oldest boy, looked to be about 10, stopped and held the door for me. I was astounded that this young lad possessed the courtesy and consideration his parents lacked.
Perhaps there is hope in our youngest generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
In NC, I find most people to be reasonably polite face to face - holding a door for a stranger is very common. On the phone or in traffic is another matter entirely.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
OP is painting society with too wide of a brush, there is much courtesy/compassion left in humanity.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2306367

Old 08-06-2015, 03:16 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
When i see someone show someone else courtesy, even the smallest most insignificant amount of courtesy, it shocks me....there aren't people who are holding doors, there's little to no courtesy on the roads, everyone is marching thru life living like its their world and they don't have to share it with you, what have been your experiences in the "common courtesy" arena, have you seen much of it?
I don't know where you live but whereabouts my domicile there is too much courtesy! I can't count how many times I have to run to reach the door that someone is patiently holding open for me. Folks around this particular major northeastern city take courtesy to obnoxious levels... actually I love it. You can have conversations with perfect strangers at the grocery store, while standing in line pretty much any where. As for driving, with a few a*@* exceptions folks will wave you into the traffic lanes, patently wait allow you to turn left across traffic as soon as the light changes. I could go on, but why make you feel miserable.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
I think it depends on where one lives and their general disposition in life. In Portland (total metropolitan area is about 2.5 million) there is a lot of rudeness. Go to a small town and there is very little of it.

But are people getting more rude?

It seems like it to me. I grew up in the 70's and since we have had a huge rise in gangs, drug use... and the general lack of respect given is incredible. I suspect it will just continue to get worse.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:50 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I think it depends on where one lives and their general disposition in life. In Portland (total metropolitan area is about 2.5 million) there is a lot of rudeness. Go to a small town and there is very little of it.

But are people getting more rude?

It seems like it to me. I grew up in the 70's and since we have had a huge rise in gangs, drug use... and the general lack of respect given is incredible. I suspect it will just continue to get worse.
I notice it on the roads most. I was taught to drive cooperatively; if I could see someone up ahead trying to turn onto the road I was on and there was a gap almost big enough in front of me then I should slow up a little to increase the gap. When I was waiting to turn, others would do the same for me more often than not. This was in the South, if that matters. Now you often see people accelerate in that situation or even in situations where the gap was big enough until they accelerated. We have become a "me first" society to a much greater degree (we always have been to some degree).

Old 08-07-2015, 01:47 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
It doesn't exist anymore and it's sad

Old 08-07-2015, 01:52 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
It does exist but if your looking for it you wont find it. Common courtesy however uncommon, happens to me everyday. At least once a day, someone holds a door open for me. I walk through dozens of doors everyday and they are not always held open but at least one is on a daily basis! Its a common courtesy. Now if your looking for common courtesy and counting the number of times you see it, that alone is uncommon courtesy. Just go about your life and don't expect common courtesy, that way when you see it you smile and when you don't, you wont have the urge to complain about it on a message board!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,090 times
I try to be as courteous as I'm able to be. With that being said,, I can't believe this scenario played out to me one time.

I was taking my two boys, 3 months old and 1 1/2 years old to a restaurant with their grandparents one day. They were meeting us up there. I get there first. So it was a fairly busy night with a wait and this restaurant has two set off doors to get into the restaurant. I'm by myself carrying my 1 1/2 in one arms with a diaper bag in the same hand as that arm. The other arm carrying the baby seat that my 3 month old is in so I had my hands full. I get up to the first set of doors hoping someone inside will see me and open the doors for me but no. I had to put the baby seat down on the floor. Pull the door open, prop the door open with my feet, then picked up the baby seat again to go in. I surely thought that the people who saw me doing this with the first set of doors will open the second set of doors for me but no. I had to do the same thing for the second set of doors.

Did I lose faith in human beings having courtesy that night a little, yes I did.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:08 PM

206 posts, read 215,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
I try to be as courteous as I'm able to be. With that being said,, I can't believe this scenario played out to me one time.

I was taking my two boys, 3 months old and 1 1/2 years old to a restaurant with their grandparents one day. They were meeting us up there. I get there first. So it was a fairly busy night with a wait and this restaurant has two set off doors to get into the restaurant. I'm by myself carrying my 1 1/2 in one arms with a diaper bag in the same hand as that arm. The other arm carrying the baby seat that my 3 month old is in so I had my hands full. I get up to the first set of doors hoping someone inside will see me and open the doors for me but no. I had to put the baby seat down on the floor. Pull the door open, prop the door open with my feet, then picked up the baby seat again to go in. I surely thought that the people who saw me doing this with the first set of doors will open the second set of doors for me but no. I had to do the same thing for the second set of doors.

Did I lose faith in human beings having courtesy that night a little, yes I did.
If I had seen you struggling like that I would have been out of my chair in an instant to let you in. So would just about any member of my family. And so would a lot of other people whom I have witnessed opening doors to help people out. What a shame that no one helped you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates