Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:12 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times

Advertisements

When i see someone show someone else courtesy, even the smallest most insignificant amount of courtesy, it shocks me....there aren't people who are holding doors, there's little to no courtesy on the roads, everyone is marching thru life living like its their world and they don't have to share it with you, what have been your experiences in the "common courtesy" arena, have you seen much of it?

I go out of my way to be courteous to people, i'll do things i see nobody else doing....for example, if i have 7 items on the express line in the supermarket (15 items or less) and the person behind me has 1 or 2, i let them go in front of me.....nobody has ever let me go when i had 1 or 2 items and they had many more items.....these are the "little things" i'm talking about.

It seems to me that its gotten worse over the years....its frustrating to see, i want a better society so i'm going out of my way to make it better, any little courtesy i can extend to a stranger, i'm going to extend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:32 PM

186 posts, read 238,642 times
There are a few of us that do those little things. I know I do. Would hope everyone else did, at least on the road. It seems like some people act like it's all about them and no one else matters.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:31 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
It depends on where you live. I have homes in two locations. One of the two is a smallish area with a sense of community and I see a lot of the old courtesies because you see the same people everyplace. Grumps and the disrespectful are shamed backed to normalcy.

The other is a formerly nice small town overrun by the Young & Entitled and think courtesy is for suckers.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
I just moved to Northern Virginia and have been pleasantly surprised how many people are courteous to me! Previously I lived in Arizona and most people weren't friendly....I say that with authority since I was born in AZ.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:03 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I have seen a look of shock on women's faces for holding a door open for them. It's like it is the last thing they expected. So many nice smiles and thanks for doing it.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Thanks for the feedback guys and gals.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I agree with TimTheEnchanter that it depends on location. It has been my experience that big cities are worse than smaller towns and the east and west coast are worse than inner areas.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
When i see someone show someone else courtesy, even the smallest most insignificant amount of courtesy, it shocks me....there aren't people who are holding doors, there's little to no courtesy on the roads, everyone is marching thru life living like its their world and they don't have to share it with you, what have been your experiences in the "common courtesy" arena, have you seen much of it?

I go out of my way to be courteous to people, i'll do things i see nobody else doing....for example, if i have 7 items on the express line in the supermarket (15 items or less) and the person behind me has 1 or 2, i let them go in front of me.....nobody has ever let me go when i had 1 or 2 items and they had many more items.....these are the "little things" i'm talking about.

It seems to me that its gotten worse over the years....its frustrating to see, i want a better society so i'm going out of my way to make it better, any little courtesy i can extend to a stranger, i'm going to extend it.
Where are you located? It differs region to region. Courtesy and manners are still generally the way of life in the South, even in cities, for example, though getting diluted as more and more transplants move here from NY and NJ in particular.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:47 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Keep doing it and keeping teaching your people there's worth in such things.

Around here, it just seems like everyone is so stuck inside their own head and they don't even notice people around them.

I find it very sad.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,120 times
I frequently find people to be courteous in person, such as holding a door or stopping to help if you drop something. I applaud parents who teach their children these manners and have witnessed and experienced it many times. I live in a moderately-sized city with a very diverse population, that is largely Latino inner-city.

However, behind the wheel of a car -- something changes. There is massive road rage over the tiniest infraction. That is where I encounter the most rude and unnecessarily dangerous behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates