Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

When some people hear the word segregation of races that practically jump out of their seat. But I don't see the bid deal about it. Segregation isn't always based on hatred but with some people it might be. Since every race has is racists thinking people and we know that most of those people aren't going to change their views it is foolish to try and integrate them into a mufti-cuttural society where only friction can result. But if those racists people are segregated from the races they hate they won't be in an environment where they can carry their racists views into some kind of racial incident.
Besides that, my being white, I know that white communities are not enhanced in any way by integration. So I not only see no purpose in integration but see harm in it.
So why is segregation so looked down on? It would seem that common sense make segregation the thing that is most wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:40 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
NO one likes to be told what to do.
Back in the day when there were actually laws that kept people apart due to race, sex or age it was what it was but today we see it was a terrible practise.
Now if people have the option to segregate themselves they will often do it to be with like minded or like appearance wise peers.
It is all about being with people that have the same things in common.

Case in point, my Irish wife lived in Nashville Tennessee for a few years and during the working day the whites and blacks would work along side each other but come lunch they voluntarily segregated. She didn't understand it but realised that she didn't have much in common with the black people. It is simple as that.

Segregation is a word that is associated with racism but I think anything that the Gov. forces on us is bad. Imagine if only men could eat at Mcdonalds and only women were allowed in Burger King.
Choice is Freedom. Mandated Segregation is not.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Segregation breeds discrimination...common sense does NOT make segregation "the thing that is most wanted"...maybe the opposite I would think.
Segregating one race from another is a good way to keep us from understanding and caring about others who are different from ourselves.
Segregation is not usually about doing what's best...it's about turning a blind eye to what's fair and equal.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 AM

4 posts, read 4,132 times
Segregation not only breeds discrimination but it causes different sides to develop not only malice or hate but also fear of one another.

Segregation and discrimination cannot be avoided. It's a joke to even consider that it can be entirely abolished. Despite how much our law speaks against discrimination and segregation, it happens because people Want it to happen.

I don't have to explain that there are situations, more often than not, or rather, very frequently, wherever you go, you see races hanging out with 'their own kind' in the house or out of the house or when with personal meetings whether outside or inside their homes. If its with a few people, then yes, some will be of different race or color. But with larger groups the majority is obvious to their preference and/or background.

I can speak from experience that segregation happens naturally. This is a much smaller scale but I take it much more deeply because I am young.

In high school for FOUR YEARS I have seen segregation happen within the student body. There in one area of the cafeteria, are three windows, with on line of waiting students each.

Typically, the left line is nothing but blacks. The middle is nothing but whites and asians. The right line has nothing but hispanics/mexicans in it.

I have seen cases where those who are 'new' to the line and rules have switched to their appropriate color not because they saw the lines were segregated (unintentionally) by the students, but because of the issue that students of color would typically budge in line.

The real issue is that waiting in line typically took 15-20 minutes before getting food tray after ordering. Getting budged in line is a much bigger deal therefore, especially if you get budged by more than 3-5 people more than a few times a week if you are foolish to be in the same line.

The blacks on the left as well as the right line with the mexicans typically weren't lines at all. It was sometimes a blob or a group. More often it was the hispanics who made a line near the wall near the Right Window where the Right Line started. They would usually only go back in line appropriately if a teacher or security guard passes by to tell them off politely.

Lesson: Don't go to the lines on the left/right (or if the lines change /switch), or black line or hispanic line. Because if you do, you're going to get budged and you end up waiting another 5-10 minutes.

During Freshman year lunch period was 50-55 min. During Sophomore year and onward the lunch period was broken down to 33-35 minutes. Many students typically wait for at least 20 minutes to get food only to have very little time left to eat , chat with others, or study/work on homework.

Going back to segregation though, I consider being 'color blind' to be worse than segregation. Being blind to the existence of discrimination is worse than discrimination itself. Discrimination at least recognizes others of different color or other.

Discrimination I think , in a positive way, has also become a 'drive' for those who are the majority and/or minority. Humans have always never been without conflict and discrimination is not something we'd get rid of so easily.

In fact I firmly believe that as long as people wish to retain their 'individuality', racism and discrimination will never disappear fully or at all. People are too different as it is to ignore or not think of racist or discriminating thoughts based on what they seen/heard from experience and/or from stereotyping.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
As others mentioned there is segregation that happens naturally (boys vs. girls, race..etc) due to common interest & then there is segregation that is mandatory. I think the issue is most people had being forced to do something even if it is something they would have done on their own

Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Most segregation is voluntary. Most people feel more comfortable around others of their own race and/or economic equals. Many want to be around others of their own age. There will always be segregation to some degree.
Economics forces most segregation because it decides where you will live.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I wholeheartedly agree with segregation done voluntarily.

I have long ago segregated myself from society.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
When some people hear the word segregation of races that practically jump out of their seat. But I don't see the bid deal about it. Segregation isn't always based on hatred but with some people it might be. Since every race has is racists thinking people and we know that most of those people aren't going to change their views it is foolish to try and integrate them into a mufti-cuttural society where only friction can result. But if those racists people are segregated from the races they hate they won't be in an environment where they can carry their racists views into some kind of racial incident.
Besides that, my being white, I know that white communities are not enhanced in any way by integration. So I not only see no purpose in integration but see harm in it.
So why is segregation so looked down on? It would seem that common sense make segregation the thing that is most wanted.
Moderator cut: Against the TOS Why? Your community would be more enhanced by having me in it than mine would be by having you. I can say that. It's true. But since you asked, the reason why segregation is bad, is because it leads to inequality. Redlining in other words. Carried to extremes it leads to loss of life because when a community no longer gets its infrastructure maintained and if Law Enforcement no longer police and protect, but instead supervise criminal enterprises within disenfranchised communities for a cut of the profits, the resulting lawlessness enacts a death toll. I don't expect you to understand, or believe. But you did ask. But... tell me... what white communities do you speak of that aren't segregated?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-31-2015 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: See DM

Old 04-01-2015, 06:47 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
I don't care who my neighbors are as long as they don't live in clown houses, or have junk, like car parts in their front yard, and maintain their property well. As long as they don't play loud music and their dogs don't bark all night long. Being white, I would never have wanted my children to be around only white people, here it comes, BUT, I've seen countless posts on City Data from people saying they are moving to a certain place, and want to know where the Asian, Black, Hispanic neighborhoods are because they want to live around people of their culture. As far as I've seen, people are always very helpful and nice, and tell them where those neighborhoods are. Only once have I seen a white person on here ask where the white neighborhoods were, and they were torn to shreds! They were called all kinds of things for asking the very question that other races do, and it's A-OK.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Definition of Segregation~~

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...aWwSegregation is separation of humans into racial groups in daily life. It may apply to activities such as eating in a restaurant, drinking from a water fountain, using a public toilet, attending school, going to the movies, riding on a bus, or in the rental or purchase of a home.

What I can't believe that in 2015..the concept of Segregation even needs to be defined ..SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates