Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:41 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps based on the past week, GB should resume control of the U.S.?
The difference is that the U.S. on balance has been a successful country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Many third world countries have proven that they are incapable of governing themselves properly. Should we consider reintroducing foreign control over those territories given the following conditions:
Quite unfair to say they've proven themselves incapable. Perhaps we should look back and see how well these countries were doing before they were "colonized"? Simply being overpowered by a more developed country does not mean they were doing badly to begin with. And after centuries of external control they are now at quite a disadvantage having to set up their own governments. I'd say the colonists pretty much eff'd them over and now after a few decades are saying "we told you so that you couldn't rule yourselves". We'll "buy you back" for cheap and help you out.

Or are you referring to ANY country that "we" deem to be incapable? "We" need to mind our own business. What is it we're gaining by butting in? Cheap goods and cheap labor all under the guise of "helping" these poor countries make good?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Quite unfair to say they've proven themselves incapable....Or are you referring to ANY country that "we" deem to be incapable? "We" need to mind our own business. What is it we're gaining by butting in? Cheap goods and cheap labor all under the guise of "helping" these poor countries make good?
Isn't it obvious?
  1. Syria
  2. Sudan
  3. Nigeria
  4. Zaire
  5. Pakistan
  6. Venezuela
Need I go on?
Quote:
Perhaps we should look back and see how well these countries were doing before they were "colonized"? Simply being overpowered by a more developed country does not mean they were doing badly to begin with.
In general not very well. Some of the colonizations were, admittedly, to extract wealth. Others were to tamp down attacks on shipping.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Who's to say? Some would say we have outrageous debt (some even citizens!)....and look at the imprisonment rate, crime rate, murder rate...tsk, tsk - something should be done...by whoever wants to step in.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Who's to say? Some would say we have outrageous debt (some even citizens!)....and look at the imprisonment rate, crime rate, murder rate...tsk, tsk - something should be done...by whoever wants to step in.
This gets me real angry. We are about the only society that has made an effort to integrate our minorities. How much unreported crime do you think there is in "immigrant" areas of:
  1. Cologne, Germany?
  2. Paris, France?
  3. Brussels, Belgium?
  4. Malmo, Sweden?
  5. Amsterdam, the Netherlands?
In other words, I think the low crime figures of these countries are apples and oranges comparisons.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
I was being a bit facetious as a means to show that the OP framed a question that is really a point of perception. But I find it interesting that you framed your answer in the past tense.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was being a bit facetious as a means to show that the OP framed a question that is really a point of perception. But I find it interesting that you framed your answer in the past tense.
I should have written "has been and remains."

Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Given the way a lot of the recently "independent" world is tearing itself to pieces, a bit of colonialism may not be a bad idea.
Yeah, that'll work.

Wasn't it Georgie Bush treating Iraq (etc.) as his personal playground that caused some of that tearing sound you're hearing, in the first place?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I think colonization can be a good thing if the controlling power is of the same culture. Syria and Iraq would have been much better off to remain under Turkish control. The USA, Canada, and Australia did well under the UK because the populations were similar at that time. The big problem is when the colony has a vastly different culture, like Europe colonizing Africa.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think colonization can be a good thing if the controlling power is of the same culture. Syria and Iraq would have been much better off to remain under Turkish control. The USA, Canada, and Australia did well under the UK because the populations were similar at that time. The big problem is when the colony has a vastly different culture, like Europe colonizing Africa.
By definition it can never be a good thing. If you want to help another culture, just share what you have to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates