Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Many third world countries have proven that they are incapable of governing themselves properly. Should we consider reintroducing foreign control over those territories given the following conditions:

1) Voters in the countries would have to vote in favor of foreign control.
2) Voters would have a new referendum every 10 years.
3) The election would have international observers provided by the UN.

Europe's de-colonialization of the African continent sent it right back to the stone age.

Oh, they didn't do it quite right (don't forget, in those days "modern" people thought babies came from storks, a pimple on a man's butt was a sign of virility, and putting a hat on a bed was bad luck...) but, they did bring stone age people up to snuff (electricity, clean water, clothing, modernized agriculture, etc., etc) You can't accomplish things like this over night. It takes a century at least. So, the yo-yo's pulled out, just as things were getting good.

The result of the de-colonialization of Africa was rapid, overnight reversion to the stone age society, millions of dead people, diseases that today shouldn't be much of a problem, and, most of all, destitute economies where oodles of resources would deem quite the opposite! The result? Starving babies, animal-like thugs (now with guns) running the show, dead people all over the place; in effect, a totally wasted continent.

Human beings are not low primates. They have a will. That will is what allows them the opportunity to continually improve, using intuition, not circumstance, to improve that one universal thing that all living things have - a life.

Africa has de-evolutionized to a point where it's business as usual - for like eons (with the very few exceptions where colonialism made its mark and it stuck).

I still see no good reason why that move to de-colonialize Africa. Makes no sense to me, never did.

I have an aversion to systematized stupidity and this issue ranks high on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,686,801 times
Quote:
Many third world countries have proven that they are incapable of governing themselves properly. Should we consider reintroducing foreign control over those territories given the following conditions:

1) Voters in the countries would have to vote in favor of foreign control.
2) Voters would have a new referendum every 10 years.
3) The election would have international observers provided by the UN.
????!!!! You realize plenty of third world countries have issues BECAUSE of the legacy of western colonization. We pillaged these regions for many generations (and still do, to an extent) and then simply drew B.S. borders for these countries when we left, without any real consideration or understanding of the culture clash we were setting up. These impoverished countries dealing with civil wars, dictatorships, military regimes were primed and ready to go BECAUSE of western colonization. The idea that repeating the past will fix the issues is really absurd.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
????!!!! You realize plenty of third world countries have issues BECAUSE of the legacy of western colonization. We pillaged these regions for many generations (and still do, to an extent) and then simply drew B.S. borders for these countries when we left, without any real consideration or understanding of the culture clash we were setting up. These impoverished countries dealing with civil wars, dictatorships, military regimes were primed and ready to go BECAUSE of western colonization. The idea that repeating the past will fix the issues is really absurd.

I got some shocking news for you: Nothing in this world is free! Everything has a cost. Get back to me 30 years from now with your edited version of this post. I'll be waiting.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 PM

428 posts, read 344,138 times
Quote:
????!!!! You realize plenty of third world countries have issues BECAUSE of the legacy of western colonization. .
That would be an interesting point to try to prove, I can't say that I'm convinced.

It's always more complicated than that anyway. Take the case of South Africa. Is the country the way it is because the Dutch took it away from the natives? The English from the Boers? The Xhosa (the current rulers) from the San (the real indigenous people there)?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:37 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,686,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I got some shocking news for you: Nothing in this world is free! Everything has a cost. Get back to me 30 years from now with your edited version of this post. I'll be waiting.
Huh?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:44 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,917 times
Quote:
The idea isn't that crazy.

Exhibit A- Come Back, Colonialism, All is Forgiven: Come Back, Colonialism, All Is Forgiven - TIME

Exhibit B- Most Jamaicans say they would be better off ruled from London:
We should have stayed with Britain: Shock poll reveals 60% of Jamaicans think they'd be better as a colony | Daily Mail Online
How convenient that the people who responded to those polls never actually lived under colonial rule. Living in miserable circumstances tends to make people desperate for a solution.

I don't think that we should bring back colonialism but taking an active interest in actually repairing the damage done by colonialism sounds good to me. Of course, it would take a lot more money than anyone is willing to give up.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:05 PM

428 posts, read 344,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
How convenient that the people who responded to those polls never actually lived under colonial rule. Living in miserable circumstances tends to make people desperate for a solution.
If nothing else, they could stand to have the former administrators show up and fix the roads and buildings.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:15 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
If nothing else, they could stand to have the former administrators show up and fix the roads and buildings.
And all out of the kindness of their hearts.
That's what colonialism is all about!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Huh?

Public school?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 6 days ago)

600 posts, read 273,961 times
Memo to Former Colonies:

Y'all can rule yourselves now. Just remember that BP still has a contract to handle the oil, and DeBeers still handles the diamonds. And don't dare nationalize them - the international finance community will shun you (and good luck making refineries as good as ours).

So... well, good luck making money. We can send you aid money... just watch out for corrupt politicians, which is characteristic of Africa and in no way happens anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates