Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 AM

756 posts, read 834,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
What would happen if all the cops in the land did nothing but occupy the local donut shops for a period of 90 days? Would we have total mayhem? Or would the common man rise up to bash the miscreants?
A Hypothetical Situation?! Then make a poll, but I thought this was actual news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Break up AFSCME (public employee union) via "targeted" legislation; public-employee union monopolies, particularly on the "fringes" of the public sector, are a major force increasing inflationary pressures on smaller blue-collar municipalities and driving property taxes through the roof; Big cities can sustain their unions for the time being, and the wealthiest suburbs are usually willing to pay more for the protection. It's the people in the middle, of ordinary means, who are hardest-hit.

It used to be recognized that a "steady job" as a sanitation worker, etc, in a community of modest means was more-or-less acknowledged as not "the sharpest knife in the drawer", and paid accordingly; but unionization of work protected by a public-sector monopoly has upset this natural balance.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-09-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 10:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
This is nothing new...

Boston Police Strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baltimore police strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Police strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and if there is any similarity to the Air Traffic Controllers strike in the 80s the President will step in and take action
Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (1968) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2015, 11:02 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
There would be no need for a nation-wide police strike. In most parts of the country, people value and appreciate the work of law enforcement. It's only in a few urban areas where politicians make excuses for criminals and then hang the police out to dry.

In those places, crime is going to get very bad. The police officers that truly care will quit and the department will be left with the check cashers or crooked cops.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:54 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
One thing you learn pretty quickly when you make a "labor statement" and decide to walk off your job: NONE of us is irreplaceable.

Cops would find out the same thing. A few weeks of "replacements" (retirees, natl guard, army, whatever) and some time to train newbies and we would be good to go. Contrary to the image....well, all you have to do is watch them in action and you realize it quite quickly...most cops do not have "special" skills. It won't take long to put some new folks in place, might be an upgrade...and donut sales will soar....for a while.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:12 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,981 times
I like and respect Police Officers.
I've had my share of police not listening to me when pulled over - but that's when I was young and wore the stereotypical young guy with a fast car uniform.

I 'yes sir/mam' 'no sir/mam' them out of respect. I've not gotten a ticket in 30 years... and not been pulled over in more than 25...

I don't think I could be a law enforcement officer... my patience wouldn't allow it... the crap they have to put up with is beyond my reach...

To all Law Enforcement Officers: Thank you for your dedication in keeping us safe.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not in 90 days you won't. Hiring a qualified applicant can take longer than this.
Shrug. Again deputize trainees, eventually they would be trained up. We'd initially have poorly trained police that got trained over time while being covered by the national guard.

Police are not some special human being that cannot have someone trained to replace them.

As another poster was kind enough to provide a link to, Boston's police strike gives an example.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
What would happen if all the cops in the land did nothing but occupy the local donut shops for a period of 90 days?
I wouldn't expect anything to happen in my area. I haven't seen a law enforcement person out here in over four years because we have only a small county sheriff's department to watch over 1,000 square miles of area.

Then too, my guess is that most of the few of us who are out here are better armed than the bad guys and we support our sheriff's department.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:54 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Many police departments are not part of an y union as unions are not very effective in these states. And the Sheriff is most certainly a COP in many states. VA being one.
The OP said if all police stopped working for 90 days.... not one mention of any union or not........not your cavaet to add.......

Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What I meant was that the Sheriff is not a cop like police are cops. The CoP can be, conceptually, fired tomorrow as could other police but the Sheriff has a job till the next election.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates