Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:17 PM

381 posts, read 277,874 times

Advertisements

Do you think that the constitution of the united states needs to have more amendments to bring it into the 21st century?.Obviously the 2nd amendment is the hot button issue but are there any other parts of the constitution that needs updating?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:33 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,392,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Do you think that the constitution of the united states needs to have more amendments to bring it into the 21st century?.Obviously the 2nd amendment is the hot button issue but are there any other parts of the constitution that needs updating?.
Hmmm...clarifying perhaps. For example-most people are against gun control, and would probably argue that the 2nd amendment should be even more clear, by adding the words "No, we really mean this". Or saying "During these times gun control is ever more important, and as such anyone firing a weapon without reasonable cause to not use both hands shall be fined 1% of their net worth" for example...

Make it a amendment that fines and fees shall be converted to a % of income or X-whichever is higher for example.

Some might argue when life exists for unborns. I think 24 is too long, and 20 or 22 weeks would be more appropriate, others might argue for conception.

Maybe something removing money from politics.

I can think of a few things that should be updated.

Most dealing with further clarifying or expanding the limits of the government to read our mail or listen to our phone call for example.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,690,850 times
No, apart from passing the ERA.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:20 PM

274 posts, read 298,218 times
I always thought it was bizarra that the Supreme Court took the words "a well-regulated militia.." and translated that into the National Guard....who is under the command...of the US Army. i can guarantee you that the founders did not intend on that. They would not have wanted the militias under the guise of a government entity. That completely defeats the purpose of militias.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:28 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
No, Its pretty plain in what it was and is intended for, and does not need special interest groups telling the rest of us what their opinion is on what the Constitution really means.

We have already lost a lot of our Rights due to these groups and the Lemmings they attract that are all to willing to give their rights up. Letting them get their fingers into changing the Constitution would be one of the most catastrophic mistakes we could make.

Bringing something into the 21st Century is not automatically an improvement or a good thing.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
I always thought it was bizarra that the Supreme Court took the words "a well-regulated militia.." and translated that into the National Guard....who is under the command...of the US Army. i can guarantee you that the founders did not intend on that. They would not have wanted the militias under the guise of a government entity. That completely defeats the purpose of militias.
Exactly. Can you imagine giving the Crazies an OK to change the Constitution, especially the 2nd ?

It would end up saying its OK to have a BB Gun if its registered, does not have a pistol grip, does not hold more than 5 BBs, and has to be at least 40 inches long and painted yellow. A background check and blood sample required, a 2 year safety course, a trigger lock, when not in use, and can not be transported from one place to another.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,232 times
A clear amendment addressing the right to vote as being something the government cannot touch, except upon committing treason. Personally, I'd add it to the first amendment as being a guaranteed right for all citizens (I'd be wiling to include legal immigrants who are not citizens) of the age of 18. What better form of free speech is there than voting? And what dictator who seized power of a once Democratic state didn't start by dismantling the right to vote?

Other than that, I'd say some amendments needs serious adjusting or removal all together. Something to do with Internet could be added in as well (mainly in regards to privacy, which has largely been destroyed anyway).

Another interesting point is how obsolete some of them have actually become. The third amendment, for example, made a great deal of sense back in the day, but it's not even something that we think about anymore as it just does't happen.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,398,574 times
Term limits for congress.

Age limits for the Supreme court.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
No, Its pretty plain in what it was and is intended for, and does not need special interest groups telling the rest of us what their opinion is on what the Constitution really means.

We have already lost a lot of our Rights due to these groups and the Lemmings they attract that are all to willing to give their rights up. Letting them get their fingers into changing the Constitution would be one of the most catastrophic mistakes we could make.

Bringing something into the 21st Century is not automatically an improvement or a good thing.
So special interest groups don't have freedom of speech? I could have sworn freedom of speech was in the Constitution. How silly of me.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Term limits for congress.

Age limits for the Supreme court.
I don't agree with either.

Citizens should have the right to vote for whichever person they want as their representative.

Age limits for the Supreme Court...no. Although I'd make an exception for Scale-ea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates