Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:05 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,902 times

Advertisements

A constitutional convention is a TERRIBLE idea. The 2A would be untouched. Far more concerning is the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:56 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Yes, we do have Fire Codes, as we do have the same Laws in Gun use. However, you don't see folks trying to Ban Fire, do you? Or regulate the size of the fire your allowed to have, and/or how that particular fire looks to others. Your comparison may be OK, but your not admitting the fact that there are enough Gun Laws already in place that cover all these mass shootings.

Its against the Law, and always has been, to go into a school and shoot kids.
Its always been against the Law to go into a Church and shoot Black people.
Its always been against the Law to go into Movie Theatres and shoot people.

The consequences for doing it are very severe and punishable by Death, in some cases, and still people ignore these most serious Laws. Now your going to tell us that a lesser gun control Law will be obeyed by these people? They are going to fear the new Law and not commit th planned Murders? Sure, they will, and you can bet on it, right? .

Licenses do nothing. There won't be any Mental Illness Base, as long as there are Medical Privacy Laws for Citizens. No Doctor is going to submit a Patients name to a Data base, so he can get sued for it, and possibly lose his/her License to Practice. Ain't going to happen.
And there are laws against speeding and punishments for getting caught but everyone does it. Are you suggesting we should have no speeding laws? By your logic, do we need any laws at all because some people break them?

Maybe the medial privacy laws are something that needs to be changed then. I don't know about you but I'm tired of crazy people shooting up schools and movie theaters, and if we can't have gun control maybe we can have crazy person control.

Crazy person ---> angry, depressed, off medication ----> Buys gun ----> chip on shoulder against society -----> warning signs that everyone that knows them sees -----> goes to public place and shoots innocents ----> sometimes kills self

It's almost always someone who's male, isolated, few friends, unstable, can't keep a job or stay in school, usually the family knows something's not right.

That pattern has happened enough times that we CAN do something about it. We can disrupt that chain somewhere, probably in multiple places. The gun link of the chain is one place to look but the mental health is low hanging fruit. This used to happen a handful of times in a decade, ie: Charles Whitman UT massacre, NOT several times a year. Something is wrong.

I have a friend - they had one child, he had aspergers. He bought a gun and blew his brains out at age 22 - went through the same pattern as above but at least he only took it out on himself and not others. Mental health is clearly the problem here - but so are the guns they can get so easily - we need to keep crazy people from getting guns spontaneously.

In the countries that have stronger gun control this does not happen as much. It can happen - but it's harder. You can get a gun easily enough in the UK despite their laws, but instead of $400 at the store you're going to pay a gangster $4000 to get you one on the black market. That would rule out a good number of crazies who get the compulsion to go shoot up a theater. It does make a difference.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-29-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
A constitutional convention is a TERRIBLE idea. The 2A would be untouched. Far more concerning is the rest.
The problem I see is how do we do this because do we have the senators and representatives be the delegates or what. The reason I say that is should have a convention every 40/50 years, it will depend on the political landscape what proposals for amendments are put up. If Christian conservatives are in power, we may see amendments banning Roe V. Wade and Marriage passed by Congress for instance that may get passed but as political landscapes change in a decade may not be what the public truly wants (see prohibition for example.) At the time of the constitutional convention there were no political parties proper, just federalists and anti-federalists. It wasn't until by the time the Bill of Rights was fully ratified that we saw the Federalist and Democratic-Republican Parties formed. We had already elected a non political party affiliated president, George Washington by that point.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
I think that adding amendment to the Constitution is an exercise in futility, as if the government really gives a crap about the Constitution now days. We have had a government in place since FDR that has done nothing but skirt the Constitution at any chance it gets. What we need is the people of this country to wake up and realize that WE are the government, WE give the federal government its power and WE can take that power away.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
The Constitution was a great idea while it lasted. This government regards the Constitution as its enemy. May it RIP. It died a noble death of a thousand stab wounds. Took its last breath with the passage of the great Constitution Killer: AKA- The Patriot Act.

Date of Birth: 1787
Father: George Washington

Date of Death: 2001
Murderer: Bush/Cheney (AKA: Bushbarians)

Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
I just saw on Fahreed's show that a book about which amendments should be made has been recently published. It was written by a retired justice, John Paul Stevens: http://www.amazon.com/Six-Amendments...s=6+amendments

He proposes (among others): 4)The Second Amendment: 'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.

Last edited by Woof; 08-02-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 08:09 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Because todays leaders are so much wiser than the Founding Fathers?

Well excuse me sir....todays leaders are mostly idiots.

I wouldn't trust them to lead a group on a hike in Kansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I just saw on Fahreed's show that a book about which amendments should be made has been recently published. It was written by a retired justice, John Paul Stevens: Six Amendments: How and Why We Should Change the Constitution: John Paul Stevens: 9780316373722: Amazon.com: Books

He proposes (among others): 4)The Second Amendment: 'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:26 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I don't think our society is mature or responsible enough to be adding or taking things away from the constitution at this point in time. Our leadership is as morally bankrupt as it's been in generations, we are bereft of new ideological ideas and our new culture of interconnectivity and instant gratification is in its infancy and has yet to evolve past a mob mentality. Any changes we would make to the constitution now would be ill conceived, thoughtless and opportunistic. There may be some changes that need to be made but by God this is not the time to do it.
Best post in the thread thus far - and so, so true.

If I were to make one change to the Constitution, I would ban professional lobbying of congressional representatives and institute major campaign finance reform. Those two issues (or rather, that one double-headed snake) is more responsible for the destruction of our system of government than any other single factor in our country. Government of the people, by the people, for the people is now government of the people, by the wealthy, for the wealthy. It's ruined our country, beyond the point of repair. I no longer believe there is any going back from it.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Do you think that the constitution of the united states needs to have more amendments to bring it into the 21st century?.Obviously the 2nd amendment is the hot button issue but are there any other parts of the constitution that needs updating?.
No......because really what you are asking there is should we have a Constitutional Convention?

If it needs to be updated (and I don't think it does) then don't do it part way but use a Constitutional Convention.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Best post in the thread thus far - and so, so true.

If I were to make one change to the Constitution, I would ban professional lobbying of congressional representatives and institute major campaign finance reform
. Those two issues (or rather, that one double-headed snake) is more responsible for the destruction of our system of government than any other single factor in our country. Government of the people, by the people, for the people is now government of the people, by the wealthy, for the wealthy. It's ruined our country, beyond the point of repair. I no longer believe there is any going back from it.
Agree. The early posts here drove me away.
As a naturalized citizen, I didn't learn as much about the Constitution in school as natural borns.
Just that it was a document to be revered. I much admire Madison.
Several years ago I read on the interwebs, that among constitutional scholars globally, the US Constitution is no longer seen as a "shining city on a hill". That surprised me. Apparently, most new constitutions adopted in the 20th century have not followed the US model. I'll see if I can find reference to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates