Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:44 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,250,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Registration does nothing to save lives. I have asked anyone to give me one single scenario where a gun registration would save a life. Just one. No one has come forward with one. Ever.

There are as many, if not more, unregistered guns out there, than registered ones. Registration is a Joke, just like any other Gun Law. People are stating to wake up, and realize that Guns Laws are a hoax, and only penalize honest people, since crooks don't obey laws to start with. Why would a Ban Robber or Murderer worry about breaking a Gun Law. Its a Joke. More and more folks are just ignoring all of them, since they are enforceable anyway.
When the Triangle shirtwaist fire happened, people studied what caused the fire, what went wrong, and what safety measures might have been in place to avoid or minimize loss of life. As a result, we have the fire safety codes we do now.

When you don't have fire safety codes fires in buildings, fires will kill a lot more people.

But when incidents occur with guns - which follow very similar patterns - crazy people shooting innocents - happen again and again, we apparently have no power to do anything whatsoever. There is a CLEAR pattern over the last 25 years and it's that mentally unstable people and guns don't mix! How many innocents have to die before we try and divorce that connection?

If there was a licensing requirement that took into account mental health - a good number of the mass shootings of recent years would not have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Truly. The NG is NOT the Militia. They are under federal command, and can be ordered into overseas conflict as part of GBE regular military. That is NOT militia. Militia galvanizes only within our borders, and can operate outside the .military chain of command.. Militia can also organize without any official federal order to do so. For a community emergency, and such. Militia can be state or local, but never federal. A community can organize a militia for something like a game g of thugs rolling into town commitkng lawless acts and jeapordizing public safety and security. Without any approval from State or Federal authority.

The second amendment is for the PEOPLE. Just like the rest of the Bill of RIGHTS. As its been said, already, the feds have no power to "regulate" our rights. As the 10th states. Powers not specifically granted the government, stay with the People. The Militia is "regulated" by the people.No power is granted the government to do so.

Though it is rare , at the moment, that a community may have need to organize its militia, that need could arise, at any moment. Thus, it must have the means to do so. That means personal arms. "shall not be infringed". Pretty simple. "To keep and bear arms" . You may have weapons, and when need arises, you may use tbem. Individually, or as a group. To protect the Peoples right to be secure in our homes and persons..

Way I see it, the Constitution is fine, as is. Its meaning is clear. It defines the lines the government can't cross, though violations of those lines are being tolerated, far to often. It doesn't need re writing or clarification. It needs to be enforced.
Part of the problem is this lead directly to the American Civil War. As the abolitionist gained strength in the 1840's and 1850's with the rise of the Republican party, the feared slavery and even equal rights for all U.S. citizens would trump their right to allow both. Remember, the 3/5ths Compromise was put in place because the South wanted to count slaves in the population to count towards house seats while the North said they don't. Funny how things changed in what 70 years...

The American Civil War proved that states rights do in fact need checks and balances as does governments themselves. This is even though they would continue to face it or the next 100 years with different Supreme Court cases.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,852,215 times
Too many changes in our society have taken place that could never have been foreseen. I think a periodic mandated Constitutional Convention for updating the document is needed. I'd say forty or fifty years would work.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Too many changes in our society have taken place that could never have been foreseen. I think a periodic mandated Constitutional Convention for updating the document is needed. I'd say forty or fifty years would work.
For the most part, we've had an amendment passed in that time. Let's see, it's been 223 years since the Bill of Rights was ratified and we have passed what 17 additional amendments to the Constitution. That is about 13 years in between ratification (if they happened on schedule.) The longest drought between amendments was between the 12th and 13th which was 61 years. Oh and that Civil War that I mentioned in my states rights post, that was at the tail-end of that period and directly caused the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments to be drafted up, passed by congress and voted in by the states within the next five years after the end of the war. Besides in the case of the Civil War, the longest drought was 43 in between the 15th and 16th amendments. On average, 11 years passed before the next amendment, until the last one. We are a bit overdue for one. The question is what truly needs to get amended in the constitution?

Old 07-29-2015, 03:06 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,226,529 times
“What Constitution?â€

STATE OF EMERGENCY
. . . .
State of emergency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As of October 2014, thirty states of emergency remain in effect, one reaching as far back as the Roosevelt Administration.

United States, Senate Report 93-549 states: "That since March 09, 1933 the United States has been in a state of declared national emergency." Proclamation No. 2039 declared by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 9, 1933. This declared national emergency has never been revoked and has been codified into the US Code (12 U.S.C. 95a and b).
. . . .
Senate Report 93-549
War and Emergency Powers Acts
"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years (as of the report 1933-1973), freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have, in varying degrees, been abridged by laws brought into force by states of national emergency."
FREEDOMS ... ABRIDGED BY LAWS ... UNDER EMERGENCY RULE ...
Constitutional U.S.A. (1787 - 1933) R.I.P.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:29 AM

50,889 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I was saying we don't need special interest groups changing the Constitution based on their opinions, and making the rest of use comply with those opinions, as Amendments.
Okay. But the trouble is, that's exactly how any change to the Constitution would occur. Better to leave it as it is, rather than open a pandora's box.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,173,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
...... I'm not big on conspiracy theories and don't think the government is coming after me.

Or are they reviewing this very conversation? [looks around nervously]

tangent: I just want to point out that they do indeed monitor the more important websites, as this one has become. And not just passive monitoring either ..... they actually insert calming messages as being from citizens, steer conversations, do false flag operations, and do email character assassinations of people considered to be dangerous.

It was among the documents released by Snowden, I was just reading some of it yesterday. Most of this is done by GBHQ, which is the British equivalent of NSA, but information is freely shared between the US, UK, and three other countries. JTRIG (Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group) is the "sharing unit".

Glenn Greenwald (the guy who helped Snowden publish his stuff) wrote this article with copies of the actual documents: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...-manipulation/

Old 07-29-2015, 01:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,235,020 times
I would only make two changes:

1.) Modify Section I of the 14th Amendment to say that anyone born in the United States under "malicious intent" (I would define that as coming over to the United States to have an anchor baby) of the parents, is not a citizen of the United States.

2.) Create a 28th Amendment criminalizing the defacement of the American Flag.

...Other than that, I fear opening up our Constitution to modern-day special interest groups. If a Constitutional convention were to happen, life as we know it in the United States may change.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
When the Triangle shirtwaist fire happened, people studied what caused the fire, what went wrong, and what safety measures might have been in place to avoid or minimize loss of life. As a result, we have the fire safety codes we do now.

If there was a licensing requirement that took into account mental health - a good number of the mass shootings of recent years would not have happened.
Yes, we do have Fire Codes, as we do have the same Laws in Gun use. However, you don't see folks trying to Ban Fire, do you? Or regulate the size of the fire your allowed to have, and/or how that particular fire looks to others. Your comparison may be OK, but your not admitting the fact that there are enough Gun Laws already in place that cover all these mass shootings.

Its against the Law, and always has been, to go into a school and shoot kids.
Its always been against the Law to go into a Church and shoot Black people.
Its always been against the Law to go into Movie Theatres and shoot people.

The consequences for doing it are very severe and punishable by Death, in some cases, and still people ignore these most serious Laws. Now your going to tell us that a lesser gun control Law will be obeyed by these people? They are going to fear the new Law and not commit th planned Murders? Sure, they will, and you can bet on it, right? .

Licenses do nothing. There won't be any Mental Illness Base, as long as there are Medical Privacy Laws for Citizens. No Doctor is going to submit a Patients name to a Data base, so he can get sued for it, and possibly lose his/her License to Practice. Ain't going to happen.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay. But the trouble is, that's exactly how any change to the Constitution would occur. Better to leave it as it is, rather than open a pandora's box.
That's exactly what I was saying. Its OK, and a good reference, so leave it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates