Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,698 times

Advertisements

The media plain sucks.

They should harbor a lot of the blame for this.

The idiots in Ferguson also share a lot of the blame. It was so great to see them keep using a picture of the dead criminal in a graduation gown while that was very far from the reality of who the dead criminal really was, just like how they kept putting pictures of the dead criminal in Florida as a kid. They kept using outdated pictures instead of the pictures of the dead criminals with drugs and guns.

I say all police, EMT and firefighters should do as the protesters wish: leave the city.

Like Denzel Washington said in Training Day: let the animals kill themselves.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,085,198 times
What was highlighted, nationwide, with Ferguson was the issue of the police being revenue generators for the city, any city, with petty fines, and racial profiling as well.

This goes on any number of cities across the country, particularly the revenue generation by the police from traffic citations.

My Mexican roommate was stopped by the police, a couple months ago, on his bicycle. Police issued a ticket to him, because his bike tire was over the white line at an intersection!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM

24,527 posts, read 17,277,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What was highlighted, nationwide, with Ferguson was the issue of the police being revenue generators for the city, any city, with petty fines, and racial profiling as well.

This goes on any number of cities across the country, particularly the revenue generation by the police from traffic citations.

My Mexican roommate was stopped by the police, a couple months ago, on his bicycle. Police issued a ticket to him, because his bike tire was over the white line at an intersection!

This is certainly true that police use traffic fines to help fund their departments. There has been undercover work that shows some have quotas per week or monthly. I wonder if your mexican friend was a victim of such a quota?

I'm glad that your mexican friend was smart enough not to flip out and try and fight the cop over this, go for his gun and get shot dead in the process. He lived to fight (in court) another day by staying cool.

How many minorities would benefit from "staying cool" when confronted by police?
It seems like a pretty simple concept.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,085,198 times
I can certainly sympathize with anyone being black baited or brown baited.

Being Caucasian, loving Tijuana so much, I got a personalized license plate for my car (TJuana) and I was stopped a few times, late at night, and my Mexican co-worker told me: Get rid of that license plate! It's only going to cause you problems!

And I did! And I'm convinced, given the pettiness involved, I was a Caucasian being brown-baited!

I can only imagine what it would be like to spray paint my skin black!

My Mexican co-worker won't put anything on her car indicating she's Mexican!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:47 AM

78,535 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
I can certainly sympathize with anyone being black baited or brown baited.

Being Caucasian, loving Tijuana so much, I got a personalized license plate for my car (TJuana) and I was stopped a few times, late at night, and my Mexican co-worker told me: Get rid of that license plate! It's only going to cause you problems!

And I did! And I'm convinced, given the pettiness involved, I was a Caucasian being brown-baited!

I can only imagine what it would be like to spray paint my skin black!

My Mexican co-worker won't put anything on her car indicating she's Mexican!
About 20 years ago I worked downtown Chicago and right by the Sears tower stopped at a light I saw a Nissan or Toyota sedan with DARK tinted windows which were deemed illegal around that time but he must have been grandfathered.

Black man driving the car (window was down), license plate was custom reading "DR WEED".

I've often joked that he probably got stopped three times a day by cops although if his windows were up you couldn't tell his race so maybe instead he just never got pulled over.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,799,821 times
I think race relations are the worst they've been since 1964. A peak was reached somewhere between then and now. Maybe sometime in the disco era. I doubt we'll ever reach it again. In 1964, blacks we're outraged because Martin Luther King was shot. Now they're outraged because criminals are shot.

The races have grown apart and I can't see their paths ever converging.

This reply might not be directly respsonive to Ferguson. I know that. It just seems that we're going to be repeating these incidents endlessly. Police have to do their duty. Part of that duty is shooting criminals. Most criminals are black.

I don't see a way out.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:05 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,698 times
Quote:

I think those petty fines with ticket revenue is stupid.

There are plenty of legitimate people they can fine like those who insist on texting while driving, 5mph in the left hand lane and those who refuse to use a hands free device.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,652,230 times
Who cares. I am so tired of hearing about this. Time to give it a rest. They are demonstrating in Charlotte and the trial isn't even over yet. When will black people join the rest of America in leaving legal things to the courts? I don't agree with every thing that happens but nothing is perfect and we just have to depend on the best our system provides. If you are going to live in a civilized country then you need to learn to be civilized. Demonstrating for a year about one incident is not civilized. Stop demonstrating, get a job, and help a starving child.

Last edited by NCN; 08-11-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 PM

19,066 posts, read 13,995,482 times
It's looting time again. Nothing more, nothing less. The savagery will continue until the media decides to cease giving the animals a national pulpit to whine on. OR, when whitey decides enough is enough.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,878,806 times
Being white and middle class criticizing blacks in Ferguson is a bit silly. When I worked in Milwaukee in the so-called inner city ( which saying that is nearly fascist). The blacks in that city were the coolest people on earth. When I made medical visits the sweet grandmas invited me to dinner, I would sit on the porches with young unemployed blacks laughing until we nearly saw double. The vast majority of blacks were educated, many professional, and had class!!! In Ferguson you see a diverse grouping of blacks many not reared in proper behavior, vulnerable to mischief and even violence . Once you factor out that number what's left are great God fearing ,peaceful, proud black citicizens . Don't judge the relative few many trouble makers attempting to create chaos in order to loot the place clean. Social economic factors do exist but the great Ben Carson, Bill O' Reily, has asked "who's your daddy?". The lack of a core family has been another factor although my dad was gone at eight ( divorced) I had compensatory uncles that were my male figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates