Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times

Advertisements

I enjoy reading the various city data gun threads just to remind myself that there really are many people out there who are anti gun. I live in Alaska which has a very high percentage of gun ownership. Pretty much everyone has at least one gun. You never hear of mass shootings or home invasions up here unless it's related to drugs and other nonsense. Criminals pretty much have to assume that everyone is armed, especially outside of the bigger cities, and behave as such.

All my neighbors are Vietnam vets with full on arsenals of guns. No one is taking their guns, guaranteed. They are probably frothing at the mouth waiting for the day for someone to try . I believe you'll only ever see gun control and banning in extremely liberal states like California and bigger cities like NYC. Going door to door to confiscate guns in rural America would be impossible. No one is just going to turn over their guns. Maybe you should stay in Europe since it's so safe and magnificently gun less there?

Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Move to Canada. Lovely, warm, safe, non-warring culture.
And just rated as the freest country in the world.

But I still will take my gun hunting. Saw a few deer today, just not ones I had a tag for, or it was not safe to shoot due to I didn't know what was behind them.

Maybe tomorrow I will eat venison.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:40 PM

16 posts, read 17,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I enjoy reading the various city data gun threads just to remind myself that there really are many people out there who are anti gun. I live in Alaska which has a very high percentage of gun ownership. Pretty much everyone has at least one gun. You never hear of mass shootings or home invasions up here unless it's related to drugs and other nonsense. Criminals pretty much have to assume that everyone is armed, especially outside of the bigger cities, and behave as such.
Alaska only has 3.6% black population and 2.6% hispanics, the problematic demographics often associated with violent crimes (it's statistic, not racism), and enjoys a healthy GDP. Your biggest city still has less than 400K people.

Accept you just don't have many criminals in Alaska, ready to take advantage of your guns in the US.
If the problematic demographics will ever flock to your country you may start to think differently

Moderator cut: Orphaned - Quoted post has been deleted

There's so much more than that in the american values, and one can love the US for many other reasons other than guns.

Lastly, before getting out of this thread entirely, I will leave here an excellent article regarding the gun problem in the US, and how being a gun-advocate in 2015 is completely backwards and anti-american. You love your country, do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
One of those places I chose to live in "big" America is rural west Texas. If guns were banned in America, I could not live out here. My county alone has over 1,000 square miles of land area. We have only one sheriff's deputy who patrols that 1,000 square miles after dark. Most would-be thieves around here know this but they also know that most rural home owners are armed so the thieves behave in light of that later knowledge.

Without the ability to protect our rural properties, the municipal police forces, or sheriff departments, would have to be greatly expanded thus greatly expanding local taxes. I seriously doubt that even the gun-control advocates in America would want the much increased state taxes they would have to pay to greatly increase police protection in the rural areas.

As well, we have coyotes out here who can only be controlled with home weaponry. So far, we don't have any of the much feared coywolves that now seems to be rapidly spreading across America.

Then too, although I am no longer a hunter (can no longer get up and down the mountains), many Americans still hunt since much of America is still very rural.

If ever I decided to move to Europe, it would be because I agreed with the European culture and the laws formed from that culture. Please allow American culture and our laws the same respect.
I stated endless times that gun-banning should obviously not extended to small rural and hunting communities who truly need them and that obviously don't have the criminal demographics of big cities. This is actually how it works in most of the first world, if you are a hunter or otherwise can demonstrate you truly need a gun and you are a safe individual to bear it, you can get it.

Last edited by Jeo123; 11-04-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 09:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeltaOrionis View Post
Beside that, the USA are so big anyone can certainly find his spot, his ideal climate and way of living.
As I said, the only BIG ugly thing about it is its gun problem, and the unwillingness of its citiziens to recognize it as such (a problem).
One of those places I chose to live in "big" America is rural west Texas. If guns were banned in America, I could not live out here. My county alone has over 1,000 square miles of land area. We have only one sheriff's deputy who patrols that 1,000 square miles after dark. Most would-be thieves around here know this but they also know that most rural home owners are armed so the thieves behave in light of that later knowledge.

Without the ability to protect our rural properties, the municipal police forces, or sheriff departments, would have to be greatly expanded thus greatly expanding local taxes. I seriously doubt that even the gun-control advocates in America would want the much increased state taxes they would have to pay to greatly increase police protection in the rural areas.

As well, we have coyotes out here who can only be controlled with home weaponry. So far, we don't have any of the much feared coywolves that now seems to be rapidly spreading across America.

Then too, although I am no longer a hunter (can no longer get up and down the mountains), many Americans still hunt since much of America is still very rural.

If ever I decided to move to Europe, it would be because I agreed with the European culture and the laws formed from that culture. Please allow American culture and our laws the same respect.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
The more guns are there in the country, the more criminals can steal and use against you.
You're over-exaggerating the problem. The US rate is 3.5 gun homicides per 100K citizens. We have an estimated 350-400 million firearms in this country. Our gun homicide rate per 100K amounts to maybe one or two gun deaths a year (per 100K) more than most European countries. And many societies on the planet with the highest rates of gun ownership are also among the safest, such as the Arab countries and Asian countries.

Europe and the UK is loaded with long guns and shotguns. So why are gun crimes virtually unheard of? On the other hand, some of the most gun-crime plagued countries in the world are also the most regulated. Like El Salvador, the second gun homicide rate (70 per 100K) in the world, behind Honduras. The interesting thing about El Salvador is that their gun laws sound like much of what the gun control activists in the US ask for. Lots of checks and restrictions. And yet, they have tons of gun violence.

I wouldn't bet that Europe is too gun free. Please explain where terrorists in Europe manage to get their guns from... such as the guys who shot up the magazine offices in France. Using illegal automatic weapons, I might add.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:34 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
What you guys don't seem understand is that violent crime in the US is fueled by stolen weapons. When they are not stolen, they are taken "legally" by "straw" purchases from the same and plenty legal gun dealers / stores you trust so much for your safety.

Again, remove guns / ammo from households (nowhere to steal them) and ban the gun stores (nowhere to "legally" acquire them) and the problem is mostly solved, since they would have nowhere to find them in the US.

I'll sum it up for the last time.
By promoting such a widespread diffusion of weapons on the country you're actively helping the criminals to easily acquire / steal them without even the need to leave the US territory, your city or even your neighbor: one could as well get shot today with the very same weapon that the thug stole from his neighbor househould the other day.

That is the problem. That is the point of my thread.

If you can't understand this reasoning, which is based on facts, then you're delusional into thinking that your guns are protecting you. They aren't. They're giving the criminals, hood-rats and gangs the chance to be violent criminals, ruining ENTIRE neighborhoods and in cases like Philadelphia entire portions of cities which could be otherwise safely gentrified.
Even worse when violent crime spills from these bad areas into good ones, which it occasionally DOES, and makes your daily life in a first world country less worrisome than it should be.

It's actually the USA that manages to refill other countries such as Mexico with guns, not the other way around.. So it seems that stopping this gun nonsense in the US might as well curb the gun problem even in Central and South America.

There's no way the small Mexico can smuggle enough guns to pack the US territory with guns again.
US criminals are NOT getting their weapons from abroad, when there are way more than enough in the US of A.
Respectfully speaking, give it up and stay home. It will be much easier om your psyche. We do not want you corrupted by our American gun culture. God forbid, you might actually buy a weapon and hurt someone or yourself.

Enjoy safe Europe with all of your guests. Let's see how that works out for you over the next few years

Old 11-05-2015, 04:23 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
What you guys don't seem understand is that violent crime in the US is fueled by stolen weapons.
No, guns don't cause crime. Crime is fueled by the will of the criminal, not by the weapons at his disposal.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:32 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
I'm often amazed at the attitudes of foreigners and their attitudes to our guns here in the US. very simple solution folks. Don't come over here if you're scared. I'm a retired LEO and have never shot anyone. (Came real close a couple times) I'm 56 and have never had a gun pulled on me in my private citizen time nor have I pulled mine on anyone. I've never seen anyone pull a gun and shoot someone. Contrary to what you might like to believe this country is not the "Shootout at OK Corral" as you seem to believe. Just stay home.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
"How to" solve the gun problem?
Hmm, pretty simple: STOP making guns readily available! DOH!

Ohh, and also stop electing NRA members in Congress! That would help a LOT too!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"How to" solve the gun problem?
Hmm, pretty simple: STOP making guns readily available! DOH!

Ohh, and also stop electing NRA members in Congress! That would help a LOT too!
Or move Don't forget your passport, bu bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.