Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:14 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,684,057 times

Advertisements

Americans are now imbued with the notion that 24 hour repetitive news cycles are the very essence of life, and we see violence all around us, in the movies, books, certainly on the web, and of course a steady diet of violence has become the norm for Television broadcasting.

We have been fighting wars with hardly a letup since the days of Vietnam. We now have a ton of men coming home from the organized violence of the military and then we expect them to simply switch from all of that to a life of happiness accompanied with a fair degree of amnesia that will make their violent experiences dissipate in a puff of surreal forgetfulness.

Should this violence stop us from turning away from it when possible? Do not despair in fear, and encourage others to do the same, happiness has it's opposite, and without it we would become jaded, move on in life and try to see the need for balance.

To the OP I'd have to say, relax and take a deep breath, and in doing so realize the life in you that is wanting to continue the journey. We all die someday, live to your end, whatever that entails, at the least you will be assured that you lived fearlessly and with your humanity intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 02:01 PM

639 posts, read 580,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude5568 View Post
Anybody with me.

The future of this world seems horrendous. Every single day brings another tragedy and I lose faith in humanity just a little bit more. I wonder when we will get to the point where people will think twice before stepping out of their house . Little by little our freedoms and sense of safety are being eroded away.

I don't know what the answer is. This feeling of confusion, anger and hopelessness is killing me.

I am not a liberal or a conservative. I am and have always been on the side of common sense with basic human decency but I feel like my team is losing members everyday.

More and more the world is being organized into factions of " us vs them " and everytime this philosophy has been taken to it's extreme , the results have been a disaster.

Our political leaders have failed us miserably. People are getting fed up.

What is the end point of all this ..?
Yep, I hope there's a reward at the end.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:11 PM

639 posts, read 580,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Bernie Sanders thinks the solution to our national problems is to have more orgasms. He is a follower of Wilhelm Reich who had an institute called Orgonon. It was in Rangely, Maine and there is a museum there today dedicated to such principles.

Tom McLaughlin: Our Leaders Are Losing It
I don't agree with Bernie on any thing, But at least he's not a political pig. On the subject. The world has always been a killing field. Even all the cop killings, Now we get to see it all, So it can't be hidden or lied about anymore.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:05 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,279,997 times
The world has never been better.

With that said, we are to contribute to the continuation of all life on earth. That takes work, gathering and sharing information, specializing in the work you perform in order to free up time for others to contribute intellectual assets to our VERY young civilization.

We are just beginning to understand our universe. Take an active interest in understanding it and you will find many reasons to enjoy life.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:22 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Bernie Sanders thinks the solution to our national problems is to have more orgasms.

So what's not to like? Just goes to show that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:34 PM

8,055 posts, read 10,651,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Concentrating on horrible events hundreds or thousands of miles away will only drain you. .
Until they're not hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:09 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
When my husband (then boyfriend) and I graduated high school a man told us the
world was in a bad way, that we had no future....that was in 1965.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,241,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
When my husband (then boyfriend) and I graduated high school a man told us the
world was in a bad way, that we had no future....that was in 1965.
There have been doomsayers throughout history and I think we should learn from their myopic perspective that we need to look at the big picture. Focusing on all the things that are wrong without considering both the solutions and the positives in life can lead to a depressed and defeatist perspective. There have been Christian religions that became extinct because they refused to procreate, thinking the end was near. Think about all the cult leaders and members who died or professed a wrong end date. Similarly, people tend to think the best or the worst of times. I would guess a psychologist might say it's a mindset or mechanism to make the individual feel significant in the universe…as if the whole existence of history was set up just for them.

I hope we all can take a realistic and balanced approach to life and the issues we face. Things tend to never be as bad as fear, and they sometimes aren't as great as we try to convince ourselves too.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,396,492 times
I am not religious but believe the world is going through the war between good and evil and good will win.
On the media edge of things...I don't trust anything the puppet media spouts including Hollywood movies that claim to be based on true events. Nor do I watch the international news just local news a couple times a week. Doing that helps alleviate the frustration I feel when I can't directly do anything to help the suffering.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:48 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I am not religious but believe the world is going through the war between good and evil and good will win.
On the media edge of things...I don't trust anything the puppet media spouts including Hollywood movies that claim to be based on true events. Nor do I watch the international news just local news a couple times a week. Doing that helps alleviate the frustration I feel when I can't directly do anything to help the suffering.
If I'm correct in that you're implying you get all or most of your information off the local news a couple times a week, I'm not surprised you feel the way you do. There has ALWAYS been conflicts going on in the world. While evil does exist, your "good vs evil" narrative is as subjective as it can get. Actually at present time there are actually way less violent deaths from conflict around the world than there have been during most of the past 2000 years of human history, but of course you'd never know it if you just watched mainstream media or surfed websites like CNN, FOX, or Yahoo News. America, statistically speaking, is also far safer as far as crime goes than it was from the 1970s-1990s, though of course the media would have you think otherwise. Believe it or not, terrorism incidents in America over the past decade are the lowest they've been in at least 40 years. People like you remind me of someone who gets all their information by reading headlines or watching the first 10 minutes of each news broadcast and then judges the world based on that. I wish people would educate themselves so they can make better decisions and at least know what's really going on in the world. It's just frustrating to hear all the ignorance that's the result of people being too lazy to educate themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates