Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,063,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I think the biggest thing is to just take a break from the news.

Yes...This...

Our minds and emotions are not designed to take in and process the troubles of the entire world. And as mentioned world news is expanding at about the same rate as the universe and technology is delivering it faster and more efficiently by the day.

Think of our ancestors, most of the time they dealt with the issues of their immediate Village, Town, and maybe as far out as their County. How long can anyone remain omnipresent regarding World news without it affecting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 01:22 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,783,792 times
I didn't read through the previous pages of this thread, but I agree with taking a break from the news. I have been off of fb for almost 3 years. The FB newsfeed as others have mentioned turn everything into a crisis. The folks with the least intelligence have the loudest voice. It is all noise, shut it off. I also stopped watching network news. I get my news from google when I am in the mood to look at it. I don't click on articles I don't want to read. I mostly stick to the Science section of the news as it is less drama and more scientific. I totally agree with what the op said about the "us vs them" mentality.

Divided we fall. I can't say I have ever met anyone or know anyone in my circles that want to cause harm to other races, genders, whatever. Most people are somewhat reasonable. Their logic might be a little flawed but at the end of the day, the folks I know are more good than bad.

Mass media and being inundated in the constant drama is counterproductive.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,060,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Yes, and that leads to more misery.
I am a great fan of Zero Population Growth. I would like to see the border closed and the US population stabilized back at 150 million.

However, biologically the Universe wants you to successfully reproduce. That is why you were put on this planet.

I have no problem with people changing the "prime directive" after they get here!!

Old 12-24-2015, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 9,710 times
Whoever has the most toys at the end of their term, wins. But seriously, the real meaning of life is probably to make advances to further benefit the race, but few do.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:44 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,328,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPerry View Post
Whoever has the most toys at the end of their term, wins. But seriously, the real meaning of life is probably to make advances to further benefit the race, but few do.
That's because were're a flawed, selfish species.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:38 AM

6,399 posts, read 6,290,199 times
There is no "point." The cruel irony is that we evolved to think there is. If there were a point, I think we would have to agree on what it is as a species.

OP, I also see misery and injustice all around me 24/7/365. Yes, i even have nightmares about it. Same whether I'm depressed or baseline, tv or not. I'm way too tuned into it than I wish I was. But since I've been on that wavelength since I was like 4yo, idk if I'll ever make it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates