Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,550,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
When I was young I swore I'd never be like the opening poster when I got older, hanging on to the "things were better in the old days' mantra. And for the most part I have avoided it although when you see kids killing kids at school shootings and terrorists literally coming out of nowhere to do the same it is tough to maintain my pledge at times

I agree with you here I promised myself I wouldn't be like my parents. But things have got worse I'll have to admit & not just here in the U.S but the world. At some point I do blame the media for a lot of it tying to keep us scared & off the issues that should really matter to us. Yes, things were much simple when we were kids but the world has got a lot smaller due to cable, internet, etc. Yet, if you look at the history of the world it's never been at peace. I believe that we were better off before the industrial revolution sure it's made life easier in a lot of ways but it also complicated things to. At any rate I do the best I can with what I got. We don't have cable the internet is more then enough so unplugging from the TV is the start to living a better life. Not to mention getting outside more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 10:24 AM

50,837 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
You might want to double check your math.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_U.S._by_year

Mahalo.
Yeah, I don't know what I was looking at, lol.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,056,123 times
Didn't ANYBODY take high school biology??

The point of life.....is to reproduce.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

What a HORRIBLE thing to say! Humans who breed are filth.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:03 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,663,728 times
What is the point of life?

You just asked a question that has been pondered for thousands of years, by many people much smarter than most of us on this forum.

I'm not sure there is any "point." I believe life, as we know it, just "is."

What would be the "point" in a child being born and then dying a year or two later from cancer? Were the parents supposed to learn something from seeing their child die, and "grow" from that experience? What would be the "point" in that?

Life just is, man. Try not to overthink it.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 PM

282 posts, read 236,472 times
The best thing you can do? Turn off the news. The US is probably the safest it's ever been to live. Having a terrorist attack or a domestic shooting or anything like that isn't going to make anyone feel safe, but the death toll from murder and purposeful acts of killing are about as low as they've ever been here. That said, while perhaps a handful of people die from these sorts of deaths each year, start to compare to other forms of death.
Suicide is the 10th largest killer (41k/yr). If you're a man, the odds are much higher (roughly 3 out of every 4 suicides are by men).
Heart disease is number 1 (611k/yr). Cancer (585k) and respiratory disease (149k) take second and third. That grain filled diet is going to kill you long before ISIS can, odds given.
As far as all firearm deaths, including suicide, murder, and accident, 33k deaths come from that.

My point is that your chances of dying from these touted tragedies is relatively slim. And as far as politics, it's always been like this and always will be. There's generally two sides and for every person that thinks something is a good idea, another person is going to think that's completely nuts. Confirmation bias is a hell of a persuader too.

So relax. The world isn't ending. Imagine the fun of the cold war, where any slip up could turn every major US and Russian city into glass. Plenty of times where both sides almost unleashed all hell. All because of glitches and misunderstandings. Now that would have been a scary time to live through.

5 Cold War Close Calls - History Lists

Old 12-12-2015, 12:14 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude5568 View Post
Anybody with me.

The future of this world seems horrendous. Every single day brings another tragedy and I lose faith in humanity just a little bit more. I wonder when we will get to the point where people will think twice before stepping out of their house . Little by little our freedoms and sense of safety are being eroded away.

I don't know what the answer is. This feeling of confusion, anger and hopelessness is killing me.

I am not a liberal or a conservative. I am and have always been on the side of common sense with basic human decency but I feel like my team is losing members everyday.

More and more the world is being organized into factions of " us vs them " and everytime this philosophy has been taken to it's extreme , the results have been a disaster.

Our political leaders have failed us miserably. People are getting fed up.

What is the end point of all this ..?
Ultimately, it's about reaching heaven and God, however, until that day, each human serves a purpose in life on earth. Think of life as a Back to the Future adventure. The fact that you were born, will trigger a bunch of other events that would not have happened, if you weren't born. Your birth triggered more events and those events will spawn other events that might or might not have happened if you weren't born. Kind of it, in a nutshell.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,126,955 times
You are the culmination of 3+ billion years of evolution on earth. Molecules and organisms evolved to produce complex lifeforms of which you are the latest in your line. The whole process was delicate and the sum of very tiny changes over a long long time. Nature "wanted" you to exist. The point to life is to make it simple for nature to continue producing more complex and more beautiful lifeforms. That is what nature does and you are a part of it.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:52 AM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
What is the point of life? I have no idea, no clue. I am here because I am here.

I really do have some idea, but I'm still trying to figure it out. Then again, I don't think I'll ever come to the bottom of, or figure it out.

None of us asked to be here... or maybe we did. I still don't know.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:40 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,327,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Yes, and that leads to more misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates