Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Reagan screwed up a lot things for middle and low income folks.

Direct deposit. Even with a regular job that pays every two weeks, everyone gets paid at the same time. And I would think that if everyone has money, the need to steal (anything) would dramatically decrease.
Thank you for the biggest laugh I've had in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
One thing I like about this proposal is it doesn't punish someone for working harder by yanking their welfare benefits. Right now the level of income which disqualifies a person from receiving welfare is pitifully low. With the current system a poor person who wants to better himself can face a Hobson's choice: work harder and develop some more job skills, get a job which pays slightly more than their current one - and end up economically worse off because they lose their benefits, and the pay from the better job isn't enough to offset that; or stay on welfare and not lose any income, but not improve their chances of someday getting a MUCH better job by steadily working their way up the income ladder. It's a nasty trap!
Sure it does. If you work hard, but make more money than the minimum, you have your money stolen from you to give to someone else. How is that not punishment?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:03 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Facts are hardly "vilifying". And those rich, that you love to hate, aren't the ones flooding the welfare lines, SNAP offices and Section 8 housing.

I never said every person on welfare is a lazy loser, but some are. And it's morally wrong to take from hard working people to give to those that don't.

And yes, a woman that chooses to buy her kid a luxury or take them somewhere she can't afford, and as a result is behind on her bills, is exactly who I'm talking about. Giving her that money will only mean she spends it on things she doesn't NEED to, and in the end will start demanding food stamps and healthcare because she doesn't have the money for it.

Just an FYI - Donald Trump never applied for welfare, and Bank of America never filed for bankruptcy, so your examples are just hogwash.
We know, factually, that most working-age people on welfare are working. Do you have any statistics describing what portion of welfare-recipients are hopeless losers who are too stupid to spend enough money on food to survive without food stamps, yet somehow survive on the food stamp system despite apparently trading their food stamps for cigarettes anyway?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:19 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
How to eliminate welfare?

Easy: eliminate the technology that has made 50% of the population eonomically obsolete.
Wrong. The way to eliminate welfare is to eliminate the philosophy behind it. In fact, that is the ONLY way. Philosophy precedes everything. So we need to reject the idea that it is correct to involuntarily take money from one person to give to another based on need. We need to reject the idea that it is correct to expropriate the wealth of one person for the unearned and undeserved benefit of another.

Once that idea, which is evil, is rejected, a million evil policies will fall by the wayside. Including welfare.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Wrong. The way to eliminate welfare is to eliminate the philosophy behind it. In fact, that is the ONLY way. Philosophy precedes everything. So we need to reject the idea that it is correct to involuntarily take money from one person to give to another based on need. We need to reject the idea that it is correct to expropriate the wealth of one person for the unearned and undeserved benefit of another.Once that idea, which is evil, is rejected, a million evil policies will fall by the wayside. Including welfare.
along with public roads, libraries, schools and armies

Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Uh we didn't try any of it.. there is a pattern too , if you take the time and are honest with your search , with who authored each of those problems.. As for Social Services Problems in this country.. The Major Issue is FRAUD.. That's defined as people receiving help , who do not need it or who do not fulfill the requirement's for receiving it.. Fixing that is a HUGE Problem ... many claim we are seeing, that there is as much as 50% Fraud in all programs across the board.. How and why did that come to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Uh, we tried that and it got us to where we are today.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:38 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Facts are hardly "vilifying". And those rich, that you love to hate, aren't the ones flooding the welfare lines, SNAP offices and Section 8 housing.

I never said every person on welfare is a lazy loser, but some are. And it's morally wrong to take from hard working people to give to those that don't.

And yes, a woman that chooses to buy her kid a luxury or take them somewhere she can't afford, and as a result is behind on her bills, is exactly who I'm talking about. Giving her that money will only mean she spends it on things she doesn't NEED to, and in the end will start demanding food stamps and healthcare because she doesn't have the money for it.

Just an FYI - Donald Trump never applied for welfare, and Bank of America never filed for bankruptcy, so your examples are just hogwash.
You haven't shown any facts; you're just spewing. Those people are "flooding" the welfare lines, because rich people, those so called job creators (which they aren't btw), aren't paying them enough money to afford to eat and have a place to live. It is immoral, unethical and wrong for an employer to pay less than a living wage; it is modern day slavery. If someone is sacrificing their time working for you making sure YOUR business stays open, YOU need to pay them enough to be able to afford food, clothes and shelter. It IS wrong to steal from hard working people and that is EXACTLY what the wealthy are doing. They are stealing from us and their employees. Do you think it's just some funny coincidence that big corporations are seeing record high, skyrocketing profits while simultaneously we are seeing a huge increase in poverty, wage gaps, a disappearing middle class and the use of welfare programs? Do you even realize that many professionals like teachers and nurses are paid so little that even THEY qualify for food stamps? I'm guessing you don't. My state is having a HUGE teacher shortage. Kids are packed 30-40 per classroom. Why? Because teachers can not afford to live here on their salaries. They come here because it's easy to get a job, but leave after a couple years because they can't making a living here.

Even a poor kid has a right to a birthday gift. Saying they don't just because they are poor is vile and what is wrong with a America. The poor don't feel entitled to these "luxuries," the wealthy and even mildly better off feel entitled to deny them basic human rights just because of their income status.

Look up corporate welfare. All the Donald Trumps of the world do it and WE the average American are paying for it with our literal dollars and with the loss of quality of life.

If the banks hadn't of MISMANAGED our money and gone gambling on Wall Street and mingling with foreign entities (ILLEGALLY) we wouldn't have had to GIVE them millions of dollars to fix the problems THEY created. If that isn't welfare, then please tell what it is?

Forbes Welcome

Quote:
Thank you for the biggest laugh I've had in a long time.
If I can buy things why would I steal them? Sure, there are a few crazies our there who will steal anyway, but most people start doing it because they are desperate or feel they don't have any other choice, then they get sucked into the lifestyle of doing it all the time.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:35 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
So this idea is not new. France has implemented something like it and Finland is also considering it: Finland wants to revamp its welfare system by simply giving people cash

The concept is something like this...

Take all the monies collected for all social services and then pay every single person in the country over the age of 18 $20,000 per year. But all social services are fully eliminated. No welfare, no food stamps, no unemployment, no housing money.... NOTHING.

People can take their $20K and use it to live on if they don't desire to work. Or, if they want to achieve more they can work in any way they want to. No one needs to beg for money. That's over. And the money is static.

How think ye?
I think this is the wave of the future. With more things being automated, we simply won't require as large of a labor force as we used to.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM

282 posts, read 236,274 times
Automation is taking a lot of low end jobs these days. Which is fine, but reminds me of a quote.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. Build robots to catch fish and does every man eat or starve?

There's two major issues with universal basic income. One, it's a costly idea. "Welfare" programs already don't constitute much of the federal budget (unless you count social security which beneficiaries pay directly into). So whatever action you take, you're going to be replacing a relatively small slice of the pie.

The other issue is the perception. As demonstrated by many posters here, there's this idea that every person who will benefit from this is a drug addict or lazy bum or something along those lines. While study after study testing this idea shows it couldn't be further from the truth, the idea that welfare programs promote laziness is ingrained.

I support UBI, but there simply isn't any reasonable way to implement it in the US without an extreme overhaul of mentality and policy. We have no problem with the idea of someone working two jobs, 14 hours/day, struggling to have a roof over their head. We do, however, have a problem with someone who has massive production capabilities being expected to share their wealth.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
You haven't shown any facts; you're just spewing. Those people are "flooding" the welfare lines, because rich people, those so called job creators (which they aren't btw), aren't paying them enough money to afford to eat and have a place to live. It is immoral, unethical and wrong for an employer to pay less than a living wage; it is modern day slavery. If someone is sacrificing their time working for you making sure YOUR business stays open, YOU need to pay them enough to be able to afford food, clothes and shelter. It IS wrong to steal from hard working people and that is EXACTLY what the wealthy are doing. They are stealing from us and their employees. Do you think it's just some funny coincidence that big corporations are seeing record high, skyrocketing profits while simultaneously we are seeing a huge increase in poverty, wage gaps, a disappearing middle class and the use of welfare programs? Do you even realize that many professionals like teachers and nurses are paid so little that even THEY qualify for food stamps? I'm guessing you don't. My state is having a HUGE teacher shortage. Kids are packed 30-40 per classroom. Why? Because teachers can not afford to live here on their salaries. They come here because it's easy to get a job, but leave after a couple years because they can't making a living here.

Even a poor kid has a right to a birthday gift. Saying they don't just because they are poor is vile and what is wrong with a America. The poor don't feel entitled to these "luxuries," the wealthy and even mildly better off feel entitled to deny them basic human rights just because of their income status.

Look up corporate welfare. All the Donald Trumps of the world do it and WE the average American are paying for it with our literal dollars and with the loss of quality of life.

If the banks hadn't of MISMANAGED our money and gone gambling on Wall Street and mingling with foreign entities (ILLEGALLY) we wouldn't have had to GIVE them millions of dollars to fix the problems THEY created. If that isn't welfare, then please tell what it is?

Forbes Welcome

If I can buy things why would I steal them? Sure, there are a few crazies our there who will steal anyway, but most people start doing it because they are desperate or feel they don't have any other choice, then they get sucked into the lifestyle of doing it all the time.
A HUGE paragraph lecturing us on morality and ethics, then you justify theft because of circumstances. Nope, theft is theft. And all the criminals that just want to feed their kids and turn to a life of crime don't change the FACT that it's wrong to steal from someone else. How is it right to steal something that I've worked hard for? Doesn't MY hard work count.

As for the rest of your liberal screed, get back to me when poor people become job creators, a birthday gift becomes a "right", a "living wage" is defined, and you address the liberal politicians that reward their cronies with tax dollars that could have gone to help the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates