Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,468,046 times

Advertisements

Primarily because the facial features compared to all the other physical appearance (body proportion, ratios etc) will keep there qualities the longest, barring some illness / accident / disease. Most people who want a partner, desire to look and talk with them more than just copulate and enjoy physical delights, thus the face is the main interface (pun intended) of two people interested in each other.

Of course we all have our "thing"
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...l#post28644073

There was an article some time back that captured the basics well in summarizing it (for male's view of females) as a "reproductive fitness assessment". Also if you look into scientific research the pheromones are a way to find a complementary physical specimen.

Also, there are many 'types' of attractiveness thresholds to individuals for myriad of reasons.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...l#post33155288

And of course, symmetry.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...l#post35140590

I had the good fortune of having this beautiful Amy Adams look a like on my train commute again. Strikingly beautiful face. She was wearing eyeglasses (first time I've seen her wearing them) and looked great even though she did not dress in color flattering her complexion (she wore a yellow dress) she's extremely fair with hint of freckles and natural light red colored hair with green eyes. Some beauty can't be camouflaged well. Every time I've seen her, I think not of her breast /butt size but her beautiful face and the way she walks with her fit youthful physique and its delightful spryness.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 12-15-2015 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: corrections and additional content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:11 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
I understand why we tend to love certain shapes in women bodies. If a woman has certain size and shape of her breast, waist, thigh we find it beautiful. This body is a sign of health, it means this body can bear and nurture the child. It is sure not a 100 percent guarantee but still. On the other hand there is a face beauty. Say we tend to choose women with some nose shapes and avoid ones who have others. Why is that? Is an ugly nose, ugly eyes, or else is a sign of some defect, some disease? What is the reason we tend to choose women who have beautiful (at least not ugly) faces?
You are correct! An hourglass figure with a wait to hip ratio of 0.7 is highly desirable because it is healthy and fertile.

The other aspect of beauty is symmetry. Asymmetric faces are not beautiful. I suspect that is also a sign of health.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:29 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,810,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
I'm not talking about symmetry. Asymmetrical face in fact can mean a person had some diseases or injuries when she was born. I'm talking about simple beauty. An ugly nose can be perfectly symmetrical.
No it can't. The more beautiful a face and its features are, the more symmetrical it is. They asymmetry my be so subtle that we can't specify why it is or where it's off, but it's enough for our brain to notice just by looking at a person's face. That is why their is no specific face structure that is deemed the most beautiful. Two people can have the same shape eyes or nose or lips, but the more symmetrical person will be the more beautiful one. The best comparison would be siblings who look very much alike, yet one is more attractive than the other.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,702,818 times
You could study more about last 500 years for example around the world and you would see that people in different ****ries has different looks and also inside a country there is lot of different looks. Also by countries, "beauty standars" changes all the time with culture and time.

Why you are only talking about "beauty of woman" ?

People like different sort of body shapes and body parts, that is why peple are not clones of each others. If there would be only 1 type of woman, others would not get kids... They could not have sex...

Some people tend to wonder some other peoples choices of partners.. That is because his or her beauty standards differs of yours..

a lady on news paper without proper clothes, I was observing, bony, not seen enough food, weird hip-leg area why they photoshopped it like that etc. and then I read she is sexiest woman in the world at this moment.. Perfect she is and sex symbol for many but I rather keep my legs, lol

Also what comes to symmetricy, that is boring. Unsymmetric things keeps my attention, not symmetric.

When I do artworks there is always something unsymmetric, something, why I would want to look at it again.

Jokes are fun because things are out of order

Old 12-16-2015, 03:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
What's beautiful? What's ugly? Eye of the beholder.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:31 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,250,503 times
It's been scientifically proven by multiple tests that face beauty is based on near-perfect symmetry with vertical alignment. Especially female face beauty. The reason is that symmetry is an indication of a biologically pure genome without any adverse mutations, plus a healthy birth (healthy parents) and upbringing (family wealth). Picking a beautiful mate meant better chances for the survival of your offspring.

The attractiveness of the female body shape is historically based on child-caring. Hips for birthing, breasts for nursing, thin waist for... not eating too much of your food stores maybe?

The attractiveness of the male body shape is historically based on protection and providing. Strength, stamina, speed (long limbs, narrow hips, wide shoulders, large muscles).

http://legacy.jyi.org/volumes/volume...ures/feng.html

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 12-16-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

The attractiveness of the female body shape is historically based on child-caring. Hips for birthing, breasts for nursing, thin waist for... not eating too much of your food stores maybe?

No, actually those that were able to storage fat in their bodies were survivors. There were no super markets and food tickets but instead long times without food. Check evolution, ape sex and how much thin waist both has? Also some starving tribes and people has "balloon stomaches" and they are still reproducing.

Some certain groups of people would like to see only their own time, country and personal beauty preferences but people are not mice. our bodies and physical changes takes more years because age of living is so high.

Lets take one person. Think how many fashion trends that person is going to see at one life time? Many. Markets and media creates and changes trends and fashion and "beauty standards" to sell. They cannot be stable because otherwise people would stop buying.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/eugeneyang/w...ory#.gk6YmEXk8

and fyi, "waists" on fat people at princess dresses era were made by corsets, when they had sex, that was really fatty sex

Anyway, I personally grew up at environment when women had to be fat for mens liking in that small habitat. They always said to me to get more fat, lol now, 20 years later, media sells anorexic model.

Some people like fat waist, some people like thin waist, some like brunettes and others like blonde. Women around the world are each fashionable.. whenever media start to promote their style.. Some people have their own opinion and they dont live to fullfill medias and markets needs.

What is the truth is that there will be always all type of woman bodies. Pick the type you like if you are able to pick. Be happy and let bodies show diversity. People don't live here to fullfill your needs.

Bodies are not able to change in every 10 or 20 years during trends and they don't have to.

Also... Cutting faces into certain shape or covering face by 3 flyers of make up does not make any better genes for child... Why to reproduce with face lift when aging genes still comes with? Plastic doll outside, same dino inside...

Whom and why you all try to trick for?

Old 12-17-2015, 05:37 AM

230 posts, read 229,038 times
Beauty makes us smile and be happy(joy)
Hence the reaction when you see a beautiful woman as compared to the what you call ugly

Old 12-17-2015, 06:06 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
and fyi, "waists" on fat people at princess dresses era were made by corsets, when they had sex, that was really fatty sex

Anyway, I personally grew up at environment when women had to be fat for mens liking in that small habitat. They always said to me to get more fat, lol now, 20 years later, media sells anorexic model.

Some people like fat waist, some people like thin waist, some like brunettes and others like blonde. Women around the world are each fashionable.. whenever media start to promote their style.. Some people have their own opinion and they dont live to fullfill medias and markets needs.
A cross cultural study of 10,000 men from 37 different cultures discovered that the most important feature MEN prefer is a waist to hip ratio of 0.7 (small waist). This ratio is possible in thin and not so thin women, but unlikely in morbidly obese females.

The second feature MEN like was youth.
The 3rd feature was beautiful skin.

The consistency about this in 37 different cultures was remarkable.
http://humancond.org/_media/papers/b...references.pdf

Quote:
What is the truth is that there will be always all type of woman bodies. Pick the type you like if you are able to pick. Be happy and let bodies show diversity. People don't live here to fullfill your needs.

Bodies are not able to change in every 10 or 20 years during trends and they don't have to.
As long as the waist is smaller than the hips weight is not much of an issue.

The APPLE shape is not good. Hourglass is ideal.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A cross cultural study of 10,000 men from 37 different cultures discovered that the most important feature MEN prefer is a waist to hip ratio of 0.7 (small waist). This ratio is possible in thin and not so thin women, but unlikely in morbidly obese females.

The second feature MEN like was youth.
The 3rd feature was beautiful skin.

The consistency about this in 37 different cultures was remarkable.
http://humancond.org/_media/papers/b...references.pdf

As long as the waist is smaller than the hips weight is not much of an issue.

The APPLE shape is not good. Hourglass is ideal.
Nobody care what mens ideals in a study are as long as there is all shaped women it means someone wants to have sex with them and kids with them, got it? Someone is aroused of big girls and all shaped girls irl, studies can say what ever. Only irl and what exist, matters.

If you go to a market place and start observing couples, you will see that all shape of people, men and women has partners. Also you will see couples that makes you wonder why they are together because they are not fit due to your ideals.

How about because of inner beauty and beauty of soul and mind? Have you ever heard of soulmates, true love, friendship, good companionship etc. ?

People don't like clones of 1 theorical ideal but they like diversity. It is laughable how hard it is for some peopleto admit truth which surrounds us. All ppl are , no matter of sizes or looks, only if they are asexual or so, they are not necessarily doing it. People are horny like rabbits, some like fit and some like fat, just pick your spouse and let others to pick to themselves.

You know "beautiful" tiny feet on china in history? Have you also seen those tortured without shoes? Google them. It is one form of cultural ideal of beauty without true beauty. It was only to control women.

Apples are awesome! Apple a day keeps a doctor away

Everyone is awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates