Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:21 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Everyday all across world women are killing their babies legally.

So why is everyone all in an uproar over this topic.

If you can't understand the differce between aborting a first trimester fetus and killing a living child in a stroller because someone thinks people with severe deformities have no value than you're quite confused. People are annoyed at how shallow some of the people on this forum are. Who the hell raises people like that is what I wonder.

I've got one name for you Stephen Hawking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I see this young mother wheeling her deformed child around and that young mother always has a look on her face of sadness.
People are always asking me if I'm okay, because they think I look upset. I'm not upset, I'm just fine. It's just my face. You are reading a lot into this situation. If you haven't talked to the mother and are just going by her supposed facial expression, then you have no right to judge what is going on with her or her child, what the child's prognosis is, or how the mother feels about it.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Having 4 kids, 2 of which are special ed but, not with the maladies you described, simply slower and ridiculed on a routine basis throughout their lives so, I can tell you without ANY hesitation, that I would not "put them to sleep".

It has been trying on regular basis but, I would go through a wall for them. They are not a "burden" to you or society at large. They maintain modest jobs and it's MY job to save enough for them so they will be okay throughout their lives. Believe it or not, they teach me things, too? Wish that social bullying hadn't been so tough on them these last 20 years but, society is, what it is.......

In the end, It's a challenge and sacrifice I welcome highly.

No, I do not think "putting them to sleep" would solve anything for me. I think I would be exponentially sadder if they were gone than when they are here?
Bravo.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:49 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I see this young mother wheeling her deformed child around and that young mother always has a look on her face of sadness. Of course she wanted a healthy young child but now has to put up with that kid that she has to dress, feed, bathe, and do everything for on into old age. It saddens me to see this. Why can't she have that child put to sleep and have another kid that might be a healthy one. Better for everyone including society.
Isn't what you're advocating really eugenics?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:21 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,773,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
If you can't understand the differce between aborting a first trimester fetus and killing a living child in a stroller because someone thinks people with severe deformities have no value than you're quite confused. People are annoyed at how shallow some of the people on this forum are. Who the hell raises people like that is what I wonder.

I've got one name for you Stephen Hawking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

It is not if someone thinks that a child should be put asleep it is if the mother would want that. It should be up to her.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Bravo.
Being slow learners and horribly crippled are two different things.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
People are always asking me if I'm okay, because they think I look upset. I'm not upset, I'm just fine. It's just my face. You are reading a lot into this situation. If you haven't talked to the mother and are just going by her supposed facial expression, then you have no right to judge what is going on with her or her child, what the child's prognosis is, or how the mother feels about it.

How do you know that I am reading a lot into this situation. I see her frustration and I know where it comes from. I am a streetwise person who has lived in 5 major cities over the years and I can read people quite well.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Based on what?

That some random passer by doesn't like seeing a "deformity"?

It has nothing to do with not liking to see a deformity. It has to do with what the mother has to go through.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:02 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
It is not if someone thinks that a child should be put asleep it is if the mother would want that. It should be up to her.

Are you talking about a child with severe disabilities or a you talking about a child in a vegetative state without any hope of regaining consciousness. If the latter is on life support I think that changes things.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:27 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
I see this young mother wheeling her deformed child around and that young mother always has a look on her face of sadness. Of course she wanted a healthy young child but now has to put up with that kid that she has to dress, feed, bathe, and do everything for on into old age. It saddens me to see this. Why can't she have that child put to sleep and have another kid that might be a healthy one. Better for everyone including society.

I don't know if I agree that the child should be "put to sleep" now that it's born.

Personally, I had an amniocentesis. As a former RN who worked with disabled children for a time, I saw first hand the difficulties in raising disabled children. My husband and I both did not want this responsibility or the limitations that raising a significantly disabled child would bring into our life.

We know ourselves and we know we are not cut out for that.

We believe that life begins at birth.

There seems to be an almost cultish devotion to profoundly disabled, deformed, or mentally retarded children. Recently, someone posted a picture of a baby "without a brain" - a scientific impossibility.

Many poster became overly sentimental over this baby, who was obviously a microcephalic child.

On Facebook, not a week passes where a child like that is posted, usually while very young, all dressed up, with a caption "Like if you think I am beautiful!".

I feel that this is emotionally manipulative and wrong. I also think that we are exhibiting people with disabilities once again.

First there were Freak Shows, where heartless parents sold their deformed or "pin head" (microcephalic) children to be displayed at side shows.
Then we all decided as a society that this was wrong.

Now, with the internet, there seems to be a resurgence of this. TLC is one of the worst offenders.

Infanticide has been around for a long time. People disposed of children who could not help on the farm, work in the store, or were a "disgrace to the family name". Some people thought children who weren't "normal" were a sign of being cursed. Babies were born at home and some parents did not let the baby live. I agree with the poster who lives near an Amish area. I do also, I see Amish every week. I have never seen a "deformed" Amish person.

Add today the NICUs that perform "heroic" measures to keep infants alive that years ago, would not have survived. Personally, If I gave birth to a three month old fetus, I would let nature take it's course.

If people feel a calling to raise disabled children - fine. If you enjoy looking at the disabled and find them "cute" you are objectifying disabled people.

And that is never good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.