Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:47 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,774,514 times

Advertisements

I see this young mother wheeling her deformed child around and that young mother always has a look on her face of sadness. Of course she wanted a healthy young child but now has to put up with that kid that she has to dress, feed, bathe, and do everything for on into old age. It saddens me to see this. Why can't she have that child put to sleep and have another kid that might be a healthy one. Better for everyone including society.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:56 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I see this young mother wheeling her deformed child around and that young mother always has a look on her face of sadness. Of course she wanted a healthy young child but now has to put up with that kid that she has to dress, feed, bathe, and do everything for on into old age. It saddens me to see this. Why can't she have that child put to sleep and have another kid that might be a healthy one. Better for everyone including society.
1. How convenient that you term it just going to sleep.

2. I know one former teacher in my school with a terribly deformed son. He is the light of his mother's eye, and she has dedicated her life to him.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
Quote:
There are a LOT of deformed or ugly or maimed people walking around this earth. They might always wish that they'd been born with normal looks, but if you ask them if they'd rather be dead than so horrible to look at, well... you know the answer. They would have committed suicide long ago if they weren't happy to be ALIVE.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
There are a LOT of deformed or ugly or maimed people walking around this earth. They might always wish that they'd been born with normal looks, but if you ask them if they'd rather be dead than so horrible to look at, well... you know the answer. They would have committed suicide long ago if they weren't happy to be ALIVE.
Good point. Like those who have been severely burned in a fire or brutality attacked.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:40 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
That is a decision (abortion) to be made before birth. Women at risk who have amniocentesis (to test for chromosonal abnormalities like Downs) are counselled before the test so they are prepared to make a decision before the results come back.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Good point. Like those who have been severely burned in a fire or brutality attacked.
Yes, including those who were BORN (in your words) deformed, ugly or maimed. They still treasure life.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,810,245 times
If the child is fully or mostly functioning, of course not. If you are talking about a child that is basically a vegetable then that is different. Now I am not advocating that we put people to sleep. Technology is good enough that one should know the state of their baby before birth. When a pregnant woman (and partner) has her anatomy scans, if it is revealed that the fetus does have a debilitating abnormality, something severe that means he/she will basically be an infant for life in a wheelchair, than the parent/s need to be 100% honest with themselves and decide if that is something that they truly want and are willing to take on. If they are willing to sacrifice their lives for the child, that is their own choice, but if it is not something they can handle, then they should abort and try again. No shame in that.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
New technologies that allow for visualization of fetus have taken away in most cases the surprise of having a deformed baby. The findings usually lead to abortion, and that's only a decision for the mother to take. The consequences for the disabled adult are massive in terms of independence, controlling, and the capacity to decide for oneself and pursue a course of action in one's life. Severely handicapped newborns are often selectively chosen for no treatment, and allowed to die in the neonatal ICU.
Most societies still struggle for reasonable accommodations with their disabled populations, despite the fact that in many countries they have right to their existence and participation in society.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
I bet this Mother rocks that baby to sleep every day.

What would you think if someone thought that your Mother was wheeling around a *deformed* child when you were younger?

Old 12-16-2015, 10:55 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times
A mother's love.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates