Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times

Advertisements

Im sure the native Americans wish this had been possible when Europeans came in droves and desperate droves.newsflash you're not americAn ,you're a european from Europe and any dna test will point you right right back to europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlost View Post
Say hypothetically both Europe and America made it so in no way shape or form people from third world countries could come over even to the extent any trying to come here in boats for example when told to go away and they didn't got shot at/blown up what would happen?

To some it may seem very heartless but considering they are nothing less than a drain on our resources and bring with them crime and beliefs/traditions completely incompatible with the way 1st world countries operate would it not in the long run be best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:37 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
If the refugees no longer had the 'flight' choice (between 'fight' or 'flight') seems pretty obvious to me that they would have no other choice than to stand thier effing-ground and FIGHT.

Not understanding how this requires 'rocket-science' or a PHD in a related field to figure out...

Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 AM

729 posts, read 429,189 times
The native American stuff...

USA isn't the only nation with a lot of European descent and influence. The same can be said for every nation in the western hemisphere, whether it were a former Spanish colony, British colony, etc. They all started out similarly. Many even had slavery. Don't blame the USA for the former Spanish empire's shortcomings. Even today, immigrants go to USA, UK, France, etc. But why not Spain?

I always cringe when Spanish speaking illegal immigrants assert their pride of the language, as if it isn't a EUROPEAN language, as if it isn't another symbol of European conquest over BOTH American continents. Sentiments they have like "You're Latino, you need to speak Spanish," or "Everyone I know is whitewashed so no one speaks Spanish." Even the words Latino and Hispanic are European in origin. At least assert your native American heritage. No nation in the Americas today is truly native American in origin. They are all former European colonies. So why should the USA always be singled out?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:06 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Better yet, send all those who's grandparents weren't born her back where they came from.
A lot of the first-generation American-born and/or American-raised citizens (like myself) would get shipped back to a country that doesn't want them, and where they would be as productive as they are in America.

Were you serious when you wrote that first part? I've met a lot of Americans with European ancestry whose parents emigrated here, or their grandparents were from Canada and they came here.

I wouldn't want to go "back where I came from." No thanks.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 AM

455 posts, read 388,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlost View Post
Say hypothetically both Europe and America made it so in no way shape or form people from third world countries could come over even to the extent any trying to come here in boats for example when told to go away and they didn't got shot at/blown up what would happen?

To some it may seem very heartless but considering they are nothing less than a drain on our resources and bring with them crime and beliefs/traditions completely incompatible with the way 1st world countries operate would it not in the long run be best?
Short term gain, sure. Long term, absolute catastrophe.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
I find this question to be very short-sighted, considering the U.S. government's involvement in many of these 3rd world countries in the past. Why is it okay for the government to further its own interests in these countries, but completely reject productive and capable emigrants?

Immigrations laws need to be stricter and there need to be stricter and enforceable expectations on those emigrating. There should be requirements to learn English, assimilate into the larger culture, participate in civic activities, etc. The problem the U.S. and Europe's experiencing is one of people creating their own subcultures within the larger culture, and it's going unchecked. If the majority of people assimilated, we wouldn't have the same amount of problems.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times
Hypothetically, the rest of the world might decide they have reason to put sanctions on the U.S. and Europe. Which could lead to a bit of a problem.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
There are enough straw men here to feed a 2000-acre ranch of cattle.

Nothing less than a drain on resources? Crime? Their beliefs and traditions are incompatible with ours? I was born in India, a third world country. I currently employ people at my business here in North America. I pay taxes. I have never been involved in crime, never done drugs (not even pot) or been drunk, never had even a DUI (unlike most American college students, who have a far more questionable record). Why don't we begin with the deportations of everyone here who has smoked pot or driven drunk or got a speeding ticket? I stand on a higher pedestal than all these people.

Incompatible? Let's see, I am pro-LGBT rights, pro-secularism, pro-women's rights and pro-abortion. All of that is indirectly influenced by my Hindu upbringing and philosophy which can be condensed into this sentence: "Don't interfere in other people's lives".

Perhaps you've got the entire Third World mixed up with Islamic countries, a very specific subset of the Third World. As of now, your post not only comes across as arrogant and racist, but also extremely ignorant of the facts. The Third World is not a monolithic entity. Islamic culture is nothing like Hindu culture, and both are different from Christian culture. All three religions (and others) are represented in the Third World.

I should mention that the most successful ethnic groups in the United States, in terms of education and finances, are Indian-Americans and Jewish-Americans. These groups are also the least represented amongst criminals.
You remind me of my fondest memories as a banker. I worked at a branch near a huge IT center. They brought hundreds of workers in from India. They spoke better English than I did, were very friendly, polite, intelligent and hard working. They were easily my favorite customers.

A few in particular stand out. They left the huge company after a few years and started new businesses. One of them began hiring people that had been laid off by the giant IT center. Last time I checked he had 100 employees. I've never seen anyone that worked as hard as he did. He definitely made our little corner of the country a better place.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:32 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, then America wouldn't really be America anymore wouldn't it?
Nonsense... we don't need a constant river of poor, uneducated people coming here to affirm our values. We've done our part and much more.

If they won't assimilate it is illogical to let them in.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:13 PM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
No one complains at Japan for doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates