Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 01:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times

Advertisements

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...le-be-bad-math

I've seen lifelong friendships be born out of conservation of people laughing about "sucking at math" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 01:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
It's not to me.

I actually don't like people who make excuses about sucking at things and just act resigned or even proud about it.

Obviously, not all of us are going to be similarly talented at all the different things there are to do in the world and all the different skills there are to acquire.

But acting like there's no way around sucking at something simple like basic mathematics or spelling or whatever...lame.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:55 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Who would ever know? How many conversations revolve around "Speaking of the cubed root of 343.." ?

Also, virtually everyone carries a calculator in their pockets these days, and can google up the way to solve most everyday math issues that arise. The immediate knowledge is more at hand in this day and age.

Story:
Awhile back I was in Jimmy John's and the price came to something like $6.37. I handed the guy a $10 and he entered '10.00' and hit ENTER - and just then I fished around in my pocket and said "Wait a sec... here's the $1.37".

He froze like a deer in the headlights, then looked at me imploringly. I said, "Just give me five back", whereupon he looked so grateful.

I probably could've said "Just give me twenty back" and he would have!

Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
it's seen as nerdy and our culture adores non-STEM creativity (STEM is creative, but in a different way)

Old 04-02-2016, 07:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Why Is It Socially Acceptable To Be Bad At Math?

Math is just another one of many "use it or lose it" skills. Once we're out of school, most of us get by just fine with basic arithmetic or possibly a little algebra. Those who need to work with calculus or differential equations (mostly engineers of various flavors) have very specialized careers that require regular application of those methods, so they remain proficient at higher level math.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Many engineering (and science) field requires bare minimum of math to actually do something. In some scientific fields the only purpose of employing math above algebra is to cover up relative mathematical simplicity of the research at hands. It mesmerizes reviewers and funding/project managers, and it is just a rule of the game to throw some mathematic "sophistication" of zero value in a report, paper, etc.. Public must be mesmerized to be more generous.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Many engineering (and science) field requires bare minimum of math to actually do something. In some scientific fields the only purpose of employing math above algebra is to cover up relative mathematical simplicity of the research at hands. It mesmerizes reviewers and funding/project managers, and it is just a rule of the game to throw some mathematic "sophistication" of zero value in a report, paper, etc.. Public must be mesmerized to be more generous.
I spent 30 years around engineers and math was a major part of their jobs. In fact several had other degrees in math related fields. Math was the core of the job. Without math skills you could do nothing. Almost every hour of my working day, math is some form was being used to get the job done.

So I'm at a lose to understand your post.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:49 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I spent 30 years around engineers and math was a major part of their jobs. In fact several had other degrees in math related fields. Math was the core of the job. Without math skills you could do nothing. Almost every hour of my working day, math is some form was being used to get the job done.

So I'm at a lose to understand your post.
You've spent 30 years around engineers and failed to realize that there are 100s of subspecies of engineers (and scientists) of wildly varied involvement with math? You've been mesmerized that much? Besides, computer age turned formerly involved with math engineers into add ons to software packages, they dont actually do math, it's done by software developers.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Because mathematics (not arithmetic) is irrelevant to most people's lives, like physics.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:41 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You've spent 30 years around engineers and failed to realize that there are 100s of subspecies of engineers (and scientists) of wildly varied involvement with math? You've been mesmerized that much? Besides, computer age turned formerly involved with math engineers into add ons to software packages, they dont actually do math, it's done by software developers.
Software developers don't do math, maybe you mean software ENGINEERS that develop the math that goes into the software. Yes there are thousands of different disciplines of engineering. Almost everything that a modern society does has been designed by an engineer, from the pencil to the space shuttle, to medicines, to medical equipment, to software. Not only does the engineer design all of this but they are also responsible for their safety, longevity, and functionality.

Do you know the difference between an engineer and a scientist? It's obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates