Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No Polls
NA 0 0%
NA 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
And yet many were barred from voting booths and threatened with violence when attempting to exercise their right to vote. Or did you happen to forget that detail?
Yes it did happen.

It did not happen in every state... it occurred in some states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Except in Spain for a time, there was no particular effort to remove Judaism from Jews. Kill Jews, yes. Remove their Jewishness and make them something else, no.
Perhaps you should research the Alhambara Decree. That was EXACTLY what happened, or out they went. Or face they might be killed.

1492 was not a good year for many people, some in Europe, and as well as the First Nations people here in North America.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,027,892 times
I'm a white person who doesn't feel the need to lay a racial label on people in most situations.

In some situations, though, mentioning a person's race is helpful. For example, if I'm hanging out with a group of my black friends, would it make more sense for someone to describe me as "the girl with brown hair and brown eyes" or "the white girl with brown hair and brown eyes?" It's one more descriptor that can be used along with a host of others, like short/tall or blonde/brunette. I hear my black friends describe others as "light skinned," "brown skinned" or "dark skinned," just as I might describe another white person as being pale or tan.

If you're the victim of or witness to a crime, it's helpful to mention if the person was white, Hispanic, black, Asian, etc.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Lol. A white person trying to tell a black person about her heritage.

Black American culture has managed to maintain some of its west African roots. Braids, certain dialects, and yes, even music and dance share many similarities. By saying that there are no similarities it just shows how little you know, and I am not in the mood to educate.

Your white heritage hasn't had the same affect on your life as being black has on mine so of course it is easy for you to be arrogant and dismissive about race and identity. I have to work twice as hard as a black woman to get half as much as my white counterparts.
I am not telling anyone anything. I do have an opinion about it, just like AA's themselves have opinions about this topic, diverse ones, by the way. And why would a white person's opinion on it be less valid? After all, I look at it from an outsider's perspective, which makes me more objective as I don't feel like I have to defend anyone or anything.

Linguists (not Afrocentric ones, mind you ) today pretty much agree that there has been minimal African influence on AA dialects.
I listen to African music regularly, and I just don't hear similarities. The rhythms are different, the melodies and harmonies are different, the instruments are different. The only similarities apply to African music that is actually emulating American music, mostly HipHop.

I believe you that black people still have it harder in the US and most anywhere else on this planet. But a pseudo-African identity different from the American one won't change that, to the contrary. Trying to be different from mainstream American society and culture only hurts minorities. For instance speaking Ebonics (which luckily many blacks don't) or even just pronouncing normal English in that typical AA way, which sounds exaggerated and uneducated to most white people, may give black people the illusion of being different from whites, but it hurts them more than it helps them.

Be happy you were born in the US and not in one of those horrible African countries with all their problems, where you would most likely be poor and fighting for survival, or belong to the small corrupt elite if you were lucky.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
I'm white they are black it's simple. Not meaning to be an arse but it's just fact. I'm betting whatever African heritage they had for the most part as been breed out of the many hundreds of years. The same with most races so many of us are mutts that we have very little heritage left, unless you came off the boat, plane, etc less then 100 years ago.

My mom was Irish/Indian her mom was 100% Cherokee Indian. My dad's mom was German so much in fact she didn't speak any English. How much of that blood is in me? For the most part people want to be PC & not offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:00 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
One has to only drive around many towns and cities and observe the ; Dala Horses, Tole Art, Welsh Lions, Pennsylvania German decorative art, adorning homes, and British and Italian flags on cars, and of course our beloved fighting Irish to see some white people also like to think of them selves as more than just white.

Perhaps people would like to think that Plantation owners planted negro seeds along with the cotton seeds and grew "Native Negroes."

Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,137,810 times
1. Technically, ALL Americans are African-Americans. In fact, all humans.

Modern Humans Came Out of Africa, "Definitive" Study Says

2. Black is simply a gradient of melanin concentration of the skin. Many people who others might designate as "black" may have the same or more European "white" ancestory than those who might be cursorily designated as "white".

3. So, skin pigmentation is only a tiny part of who we are.

Last edited by luv4horses; 04-12-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 07:41 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Perhaps you should research the Alhambara Decree. That was EXACTLY what happened, or out they went. Or face they might be killed.

1492 was not a good year for many people, some in Europe, and as well as the First Nations people here in North America.
Perhaps you should read most closely. I said:

Quote:
Except in Spain for a time, there was no particular effort to remove Judaism from Jews. Kill Jews, yes. Remove their Jewishness and make them something else, no.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am not telling anyone anything. I do have an opinion about it, just like AA's themselves have opinions about this topic, diverse ones, by the way. And why would a white person's opinion on it be less valid? After all, I look at it from an outsider's perspective, which makes me more objective as I don't feel like I have to defend anyone or anything.

How about if I just call you "George" from now on. Why should my opinion of what you're called be any less valid than yours?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,553,371 times
I grew up calling white people white and black people black but now I sometimes feel I must call black people African American even though it is not what I feel used to because I thought it was what they wanted to be called, and that they would feel disrespected or insulted to be called black, and I did not want to offend them in any way. I am relieved to know I can call a person black and it will they will not be insulted . I do not want to in any way disrespect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates