Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No Polls
NA 0 0%
NA 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times

Advertisements

I've never understood this, and it might have to do with me being fairly young (still in my 20s)...but why do a lot of people prefer to be called African American over black? I prefer black myself because I'm not African, I've never been to Africa, I don't speak any African languages, I wouldn't know what ethnic tribe I originate from, etc. so I feel totally disconnected from the average black African that I've encountered. Which is ironic, because I'm probably more "African" than most who prefer to be called AA. Can someone explain the justification for choosing "AA" over "black"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Beats me. I have a bunch of Algerian in me but I'm 'white'. Probably closer to African than many who ascribe to African American. But all are ultimately just labels.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I've never understood this, and it might have to do with me being fairly young (still in my 20s)...but why do a lot of people prefer to be called African American over black? I prefer black myself because I'm not African, I've never been to Africa, I don't speak any African languages, I wouldn't know what ethnic tribe I originate from, etc. so I feel totally disconnected from the average black African that I've encountered. Which is ironic, because I'm probably more "African" than most who prefer to be called AA. Can someone explain the justification for choosing "AA" over "black"?
Same here. "Black" works just fine for me.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,367 times
Seems to be an age thing.

In the 1950s and before, blacks were called 'colored.' Then it became 'negro' (which is when I found out there even was a word for what race you were.)

I recall back in the mid- to late 60s, negros wanted to be called 'black.' So America obliged. Then about some time in the 1990s or so, blacks started wanting to be called 'African American.' Another new term was born. Now many African Americans self-identify as 'people of color.'

Meanwhile, whites just remain white...

So I guess what term you identify with is dependent upon when you became aware of race.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Suppose you needed a liver transplant and the doctor was looking for the best possible match. There are "Black" people all over the globe. Of all the "Black” people all over the world, where would you prefer he look to get the best DNA match, and what would you call that specific group of "Black" People to distinguish them from all the other "Black" people around the world? That’s when these labels are important, at all other times we are just people.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:26 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Jesse Jackson first used that term in some kind of media interview back in the 80's, and it immediately went viral among human rights organizations worldwide, though it took awhile to catch on back home. It was viewed as more respectful. It was an effective way of getting white people to show respect in their speech. If a new generation decides something else is better, they can set a new standard. It's not written in stone.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
You could be Japanese American and not speak Japanese or Irish American and never been to Ireland.
African American is simply a label of ethnic origin.

I personally prefer black but I use African American when I speak about the collective. However, one of my biggest pet peeves is that some people have begun to call ALL black people African American even if the people are Afro-Canadian, Afro Latino, etc.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:45 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Suppose you needed a liver transplant and the doctor was looking for the best possible match. There are "Black" people all over the globe. Of all the "Black” people all over the world, where would you prefer he look to get the best DNA match, and what would you call that specific group of "Black" People to distinguish them from all the other "Black" people around the world? That’s when these labels are important, at all other times we are just people.
Perhaps Octagoon, Quadroon and High Yellow would be better then? You know, in case someone needs a transplant.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
I read a poll a couple years back that showed somewhere around 60% preferred "Black", 30% had no preference and only about 10% preferred African American.

What's funny is watching PC Whites bend over backwards to ALWAYS use African American. I love to call Black people Black in front of them because I know it drives them nuts. Still, they can't quite accuse me of of what they want to accuse me of.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
I like to call myself an American, but I will go with Black American for the sake of it sometimes.

I was not born in Africa, have no connection to Africa (besides ancestral, but I also have connections to Ireland, Germany, and North America), and have no family in Africa. My pride and self-identity tie directly with being American, and the "black" portion is irrelevant to me. To be very honest, I do not feel like a "black" man; I feel like an American male, as I have friends of all different colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates