Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No Polls
NA 0 0%
NA 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,235,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I personally prefer black but I use African American when I speak about the collective. However, one of my biggest pet peeves is that some people have begun to call ALL black people African American even if the people are Afro-Canadian, Afro Latino, etc.
The only problem that I personally have with this, is that my ancestors don't just come from Africa; they also come from North America and Europe. By calling myself an African-American, I would not be recognizing where other portions of my heritage come from. I just prefer "American" over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:29 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,035 times
The politically correct police continue to erode this country.

My wife is black, says don't refer to her as African American, she's never been to Africa and never will.

Why don't we call white people European Americans?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:58 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,797,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I read a poll a couple years back that showed somewhere around 60% preferred "Black", 30% had no preference and only about 10% preferred African American.

What's funny is watching PC Whites bend over backwards to ALWAYS use African American. I love to call Black people Black in front of them because I know it drives them nuts. Still, they can't quite accuse me of of what they want to accuse me of.
Right because blatantly referring to complete strangers by their race in random daily encounters isn't inflammatory or racist at all.

"Paper or plastic?"
"I'll take plastic, white kid."

"Did y'all save room for dessert?"
"No thanks white girl, we're full."

But...keep fighting the good fight.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:02 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
The only problem that I personally have with this, is that my ancestors don't just come from Africa; they also come from North America and Europe. By calling myself an African-American, I would not be recognizing where other portions of my heritage come from. I just prefer "American" over anything.
The majority of black Americans have some measureable percentage of non-subSaharan DNA admixture. And we ALL know that if you "look" black in the United States you are considered "black".

And while it would be factually accurate for me to say that I am of African, European and Asian ancestry most would visually identify me as "black". It really is not very complicated.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:08 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,338,187 times
Black is a horrible term,you have a thousand years of cells inside your body and you are all those people, you can't escape your ancestry.
Im sorry you have a total disconnection from your ancestors in african culture that is extremely sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I've never understood this, and it might have to do with me being fairly young (still in my 20s)...but why do a lot of people prefer to be called African American over black? I prefer black myself because I'm not African, I've never been to Africa, I don't speak any African languages, I wouldn't know what ethnic tribe I originate from, etc. so I feel totally disconnected from the average black African that I've encountered. Which is ironic, because I'm probably more "African" than most who prefer to be called AA. Can someone explain the justification for choosing "AA" over "black"?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,338,187 times
That's really true african Americans should just call themselves mixed race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 AM

21,167 posts, read 19,761,393 times
Can someone explain why the term "colored" is offensive? The NAACP used it in their name, so apparently it was acceptable at one time. Is it just considered archaic and not "trendy" enough?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:25 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,418,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I've never understood this, and it might have to do with me being fairly young (still in my 20s)...but why do a lot of people prefer to be called African American over black? I prefer black myself because I'm not African, I've never been to Africa, I don't speak any African languages, I wouldn't know what ethnic tribe I originate from, etc. so I feel totally disconnected from the average black African that I've encountered. Which is ironic, because I'm probably more "African" than most who prefer to be called AA. Can someone explain the justification for choosing "AA" over "black"?
Nobody "prefer[s] to be called African American." The term doesn't even make sense. Some bureaucrat decided to change the name of blacks so they could mix in black africans, west indians and black americans in the same pot and discriminate against them all with less effort. With the added side-effect of making black people look like stupid flakes who have to change their name every few years. There are tons of white people in Africa, and some of them may also have immigrated to the US, so they should also be "African americans." Also where is the poll?

Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,288,505 times
Black. One syllable and all inclusive.

African American. Seven syllables and racist in my observation.

I know black people who dislike both.

So I continue to use black unless someone prefers otherwise. I'd say "AA" but reminds people of alcoholics.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:11 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
Technically they are both anthropological terms. Black is a description of me but African American is an definition of me, Personally I never fell like I'm either until someone reminds me. Its those reminders, that's the thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates