Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No Polls
NA 0 0%
NA 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:42 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,000 times

Advertisements

The use of African-American came about in response to certain whites who complained about the existence of certain black organizations and events. They usually would ask "why can't we have white this, and white that? The answer was that whites do, but it's usually based on ethnicity. While people would frown on an amusement park having a "white day", no one would have a problem with them having a Polish-American, or Italian-American Day. Since black people lost their original ethnicity during slavery, race has to double as ethnicity. The use of African-American was supposed to portray blacks as an ethnic group.

As for black supplanting Negro (ironically, negro is the Spanish word for black), and Colored, this was all about stopping black people from being ashamed of their color. Black had always been used to some degree, but many were uncomfortable with it. The 60s use of black was meant to be provocative, and in your face. "Say it loud; I'm Black And I'm Proud!!!!! Guess what, it was very effective. There are still many problems in the black community, but in 2016, very few black people are ashamed of their color. It was effective to the point that in the 70s, some white ethnic groups that had kind of hung their heads in America, noticed what black folks had done, and found a new pride in their own origins. The Polish especially come to mind.

For what it's worth, black is what I use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
The only problem that I personally have with this, is that my ancestors don't just come from Africa; they also come from North America and Europe. By calling myself an African-American, I would not be recognizing where other portions of my heritage come from. I just prefer "American" over anything.
Why then do you think President Obama self-identified as only African-American on the Census?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
From Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s, “Half of a Yellow Sun”:

my point is that the only authentic identity for the African is the tribe…I am Nigerian because a white man created Nigeria and gave me that identity. I am black because the white man constructed black to be as different as possible from his white. But I was Igbo before the white man came.
I used to hang out with Nigerians (among other foreign students) and Igbo and Yoruba (both from Nigeria) did not consider themselves the same, other than that they were Nigerian.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:39 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Black is a horrible term,you have a thousand years of cells inside your body and you are all those people, you can't escape your ancestry.
Im sorry you have a total disconnection from your ancestors in african culture that is extremely sad.
Why is white a good term? I'm not white. Toilet paper is white. Albinos aren't even white.

A thousand years? Modern man has been around a lot longer than that.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Why is white a good term? I'm not white. Toilet paper is white. Albinos aren't even white.

A thousand years? Modern man has been around a lot longer than that.
Review of “How the Irish Became White” | The End of Capitalism

How did the Irish become White? By violently subjugating African Americans, according to this courageous book by Noel Ignatiev.
As a part-Irish American, learning about the injustice that some of my ancestors took part in is deeply troubling, but it’s a history that we need to explore to uncover the true legacy of mass Irish immigration to America, and more fundamentally, the meaning of “Whiteness”.

“How the Irish Became White”

by Noel Ignatiev

1995 Routledge

Old 04-07-2016, 06:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I've never understood this, and it might have to do with me being fairly young (still in my 20s)...but why do a lot of people prefer to be called African American over black? I prefer black myself because I'm not African, I've never been to Africa, I don't speak any African languages, I wouldn't know what ethnic tribe I originate from, etc. so I feel totally disconnected from the average black African that I've encountered. Which is ironic, because I'm probably more "African" than most who prefer to be called AA. Can someone explain the justification for choosing "AA" over "black"?
I struggle with this also. I grew up in a pretty diverse area, and black people called themselves black. Now I'm feeling a little pressure to use AA, but I"m not sure what black people think of that!

I get that most 'black' people are shades of brown, so it isn't a very good descriptor.

Many African Americans have roots in this country that go deeper than mine. On my mother's side I'm only a third generation american, yet i don't get any pressure to identify myself as Swedish American.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I read a poll a couple years back that showed somewhere around 60% preferred "Black", 30% had no preference and only about 10% preferred African American.

What's funny is watching PC Whites bend over backwards to ALWAYS use African American. I love to call Black people Black in front of them because I know it drives them nuts. Still, they can't quite accuse me of of what they want to accuse me of.
Apparently not. The results of the poll prove you wrong.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
I prefer "African American". But then, I think of others who are born in this country who have roots elsewhere, and know that I would willingly questions their use of self-identification terms such as Filipino American, Nigerian American, Korean-American, etc.

So If I'm bothered by these labels which might convey a willing division in acknowledging one's self identity, then why am I not bothered by "African American?"

In terms of the other word, my skin isn't black and so I don't like being labeled that way.

In the end, the word "American" will suffice, and is honestly the most appropriate for me.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Why then do you think President Obama self-identified as only African-American on the Census?
Because that's his decision.

And no one can answer for the Pres but the Pres himself.

So, please don't try to use the poster's point to turn this into some racial/political jab at Obama, hence derailing the thread.

Stay focused!!!

Old 04-07-2016, 07:52 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I've never understood this, and it might have to do with me being fairly young (still in my 20s)...but why do a lot of people prefer to be called African American over black? I prefer black myself because I'm not African, I've never been to Africa, I don't speak any African languages, I wouldn't know what ethnic tribe I originate from, etc. so I feel totally disconnected from the average black African that I've encountered. Which is ironic, because I'm probably more "African" than most who prefer to be called AA. Can someone explain the justification for choosing "AA" over "black"?
So what does this poll tell you?

In my experience, "African-American" has always been a term for external consumption, rather the way Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, et cetera, use "Asian."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates