Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:31 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
It was clearly obvious that Comey and Lynch were trying their absolute hardest to keep Clinton out of jail.
Out of OFFICE, actually, as this was a naked partisan hackjob. The rest of the DOJ revolted due to Comey's blatant violation of long-standing agency and departmental policies to lay low in advance of elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 02:39 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Nothing ever sticks to teflon hill and teflon bill.
Do you have a particular ACTUAL CHARGE you would level against Hillary Clinton that a prosecutor would put before a jury? Or just the usual vague allegations? Seven, count 'em SEVEN, Federal hearings were held about Benghazi and her accusers were never able to come up with a single crime she committed.

The same would be true about the E-mails. Precisely what was the crime? Who are the victims? Many people in the Bush administration used private services, many of them run through Republican National Committee office in Washington. Millions upon millions of E-mails were sent that way. When the Senate requested a hearing, the administration simply refused to produce the E-mails and that was the end of it.

How many show trials have to take place before people can be satisfied? Obviously an infinite number because many people would rather deal with innuendo rather than facts in evidence.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:52 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Apparently, she broke the law and worse, the Clinton Foundation is in serious question. We have to try her for the following reasons:

1) NO one is above the law despite what the Clintons and Democrats in general, think
2) She should be given full due-process as anyone accused of a crime should/would receive.
3) IF she and/or the foundation is found guilty of any crime then the appropriate sentence should be adjudicated, just like for you and me and eerily similar of what that sailor, NOW IN JAIL is in for. He merely took photos of a top secret asset, never disseminated them and for THAT, he is spending a year. Seems to me, that she DID disseminate secrets, in an unsafe manner, lied under oath and if proven (has) she should do the time. JUST like you and me.
4) Sets a precedent. NO one is above the law. Make an example. Hold our leaders, Republican and Democrat to the same legal standards.
5) If any Republican is guilty of the same, same conditions apply, NO exceptions.

Want to clean Washington up? Here's your chance. To pardon her is a slap in the face to all those now sitting in jail for similar crimes. It's simply not right. It's not just. It's not fair. Treat everyone, always, the same as anyone else no matter their race, color, creed, demeanor, sex, position, title, connections, etc....keep it fair and balanced.

Excellent post ^ Caleb!

The Clintons have been playing dirty politics and stuffing their pockets full of cash for years -- they are experts at deception. It's about time their chickens come home to roost. Why should they be different than any other criminals. Look at Gen. Patreus for example; Martha Stewart; lying to the Benghazi parents, and calling them liars, is unforgiveable by itself.

Hillary Clinton would not even have passed a security clearance background check for crying out loud. Do we even know yet how much she compromised our national security? Time for people to stop drinking the Clinton Kool Aid. It is a wonder how she can even remember her own lies!

How gullible some (uninformed) folks are, it is amazing.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:56 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
As others have said, she hasn't been convicted yet, BUT as far as comparing the situation to Nixon --

I was a Democrat back then -- I'm a moderate conservative who voted for Johnson now -- but I was willing to give Gerald Ford a chance UNTIL he issued that pardon. That convinced me, rightly or wrongly, that Ford was just as corrupt as Nixon was, and I could not wait until his term was over. Evidently, a lot of people felt that way as Jimmy Carter won by more than a million votes in the 1976 election, even though Carter was little known and considered an outsider and Ford was not, imo, all that bad as President.

I think that if Obama (OR Trump!) peremptorily pardons HRC, it will not set well with many people. IF she is convicted of one or more felonies, however, depending on information obtained during the investigation, a pardon still might be acceptable if that information is not devastating.

(Of course, I am one of those people who weigh costs and benefits. If a trial and/or incarceration would cost the taxpayers MILLIONS, then, no, I don't think it would be worth it for a relatively minor misdeed. In my view, mishandling confidential e-mails is not nearly as bad as killing thousands of people in an unjustified war.)

Old 11-15-2016, 03:08 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
For the same reason, I think it is time to grant a Presidential Pardon to Hillary regarding her time in office.

Then, there would be no point is any "special prosecutor" to investigate any of alleged wrong-doings.

It is time to move on.
No pardons. I don't want a precedent which will eliminate the possibility of Donald Trump being tried for wrong-doings.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Do you have a particular ACTUAL CHARGE you would level against Hillary Clinton that a prosecutor would put to a grand jury?
I don't believe they do. To me, it seems like all insinuation and innuendo. Like the old stereotype of housewives gossiping over the back fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
How many show trials have to take place before people can be satisfied? Obviously an infinite number because many people would rather deal with innuendo rather than facts in evidence.
A lot, I'm afraid. When you need to keep people on an emotional edge all the time, you need to run the same old dog-and-pony show over and over and over again.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No pardons. I don't want a precedent which will eliminate the possibility of Donald Trump being tried for wrong-doings.
Scooter Libby all over again!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:22 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
Why, if people like Martha Stewart can be put in jail, why couldn't/shouldn't Hillary (if she is guilty of a crime that warrants a jail sentence, however brief)? Why do people think she or anyone else is 'more special' than the next person?

I would hazard a guess that the DOJ is not full of 'reasonable prosecutors'. Comey knew they would find a way out of prosecuting so he didn't have much option but to say he would not send it to Lynch. Additionally, Comey did not tell us everything he knows anyway - there is more I am certain. And there are probably many more people who could be indicted too if any of this gains any traction down the line. In any event .. my opinion is .. we don't drop the matter just yet. IF there is a crime that can be proven, then there should be a trial and if she is proven guilty, she needs to be sentenced just as any citizen would be.

Pay for play seems quite evident in the way the Clinton Foundation was run while Hillary was Secretary of State. Emails and the 'Friends of Bill' thing appear to make it quite apparent that people who donated enough had a good chance of getting access to Clinton, and it seems that the more they donated, the faster the access could be too.

Clinton is by far not the only one who plays that game - but, perhaps since she is already under investigation, she will be the one who sets the example for those who in future might want to take up that 'cause'. The corruption in government is far too rampant - those of us who voted for Trump know that - and I hope he will do as much as he can to root it out and slap a LOT of wrists - publicly.

But, let's just put it this way, the things Clinton did were NOT done out of ignorance - they were deliberate (and if you don't think they were, then she is not smart enough to be President either).

I wonder if any of you remember that when Obama became President he was really upset because he was not allowed to keep his old unsecure Blackberry - for security reasons. Even he knows the score (although I bet if we looked hard enough we might just find that old Blackberry still charged up somewhere).

Obama doesn't seem to be jumping to 'pardon' Hillary right now. Trump is 'reserving judgment' for now as well - and I think that is a good move.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:02 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

IF there is a crime that can be proven, then there should be a trial and if she is proven guilty, she needs to be sentenced just as any citizen would be.
There is ample evidence she could be indicted for Obstruction of Justice.

Quote:
Pay for play seems quite evident in the way the Clinton Foundation was run while Hillary was Secretary of State. Emails and the 'Friends of Bill' thing appear to make it quite apparent that people who donated enough had a good chance of getting access to Clinton, and it seems that the more they donated, the faster the access could be too.
Clearly true.

Quote:
Obama doesn't seem to be jumping to 'pardon' Hillary right now. Trump is 'reserving judgment' for now as well - and I think that is a good move.

I think it will come on the last day of the Obama Administration.

My personal guess is Obama will issue her a blanket pardon the way Gerald Ford issued Richard Nixon a blanket pardon. There is a great advantage to Obama: by pardoning her, she cannot be flipped to implicate Obama himself.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:35 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The election is over. Trump won, and Clinton lost.

Now is the time to heal, and I think one thing that would help would be for President Obama to issue a Presidential Pardon to Hillary Clinton. The nation doesn't need to look any more into any alleged wrongdoings.

It is time to move on.

Do you agree or disagree? Let's keep it civil, folks.

She has not been indicted, much less convicted, of anything. Every time she's been investigated, hounded by relentless Republicans, she's come out fine. To pardon her implies she's done something criminal.

Presidents do usually move on - which is why Obama didn't go after all the wrong-doers in the GWB administration. That's the norm. To have a candidate like Trump encouraging rabid supporters chanting "String her up!" as though this country has no such thing as laws - that's not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates