Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
Then why dont you just figure out a way to eliminate all males and see how you fend for yourselves.

Of course men are prone to violent acts. Wow, earth-shaking take there. And the sky is also blue.

What's missed is the bigger picture. Violence, despite what our soft society thinks, sometimes IS the answer.

Who are the quiet professionals who standby ready to do violence on YOUR behalf? Overwhelmingly men.

Who make up the massive majority of those killed in war? Overwhelmingly men.

Who is going to come to your house and potentially use violence to protect you? Overwhelmingly men.

Violence is the ultimate answer to the question, "or else what?"

Men make up the very best and the very worst of any society. This is an anthropological fact, and it always will be. We've evolved this way. Men HAD to stand out among other men to reproduce. There was incentive for great achievements and also incentive for great violence. The survival stakes for men have historically always been higher. Women simply needed to be present and breedable. It behooved them as a sex to be more homogeneous, because that meant a higher likelihood of being provided for and being given children.

But men had to be different, be aggressive, and take risks. And with all these things come the risk of violence.

Violence is a two-sided coin. Men are often the perpetrators but also unilaterally the protectors. So if you ever conjure up an introspective moment and think of all the freedoms and protection you enjoy, you can thank men.
You must have missed the last century..there are women who are policeman and soldiers.

Women also make up the majority of college grads now.

So we need men for????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:31 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
How convenient that you wouldn't.
You could bother if you wanted to. What do you think you would find? I suspect you already know.

I don't have to look up somewhere where the sun will rise tomorrow and the ordering of black vs. white vs. oriental crime rates is just as set in stone.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
If there were only women in the world, I believe there would still be a similar percentage of the population that is violent. You have to separate the results of violence from the tendency to be violent.
Many women suppress their violent tendencies because they know that they are physically inferior to men and would usually be the losers in an altercation that involved men.
If they grew up in a society where that was not the case, their tendency toward violence would be more evident.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If there were only women in the world, I believe there would still be a similar percentage of the population that is violent. You have to separate the results of violence from the tendency to be violent.
Many women suppress their violent tendencies because they know that they are physically inferior to men and would usually be the losers in an altercation that involved men.
If they grew up in a society where that was not the case, their tendency toward violence would be more evident.
Cat fights.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:40 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Men are inherently more aggressive than women. In fact, most mammalian species are this way. Are you really surprised?

And yes, race/ethnicity is a major factor. According to the same FBI statistics website that you reference, black males commit the majority of homicides. It's remarkable because black males are about 6.5% of the entire U.S. population yet perpetrate 60% of the murders.

And really, it's some small fraction of that population; most black Americans are respectable people but there's this 1% gangbanger population that packs heat and is quick to use it.

In fact if you were to ignore this small but violent fraction of the population, our general murder rates and gun homicide rates would be only slightly above those of Canada and western Europe--in other words, not a major problem. Certainly it wouldn't justify the kind of hysterical anti-gun activists that are trying to ban all firearms. They either don't know or don't care who's doing all the shooting.

And yes, there's more violence among black and Hispanic women than among white women. It's not just gender. It's cultural, economic, and ethnic factors.
Minorities are much more likely to be convicted of violent crimes than their white counterparts. A white man shoots a black man, and it's self defense. A black man shoots a white man, and it's murder. The rise in video documentation of confrontations is confirming this. That skews statistics significantly.

Economic factors come into play too, but again, when you are given an inferior education because of where you live, are paid less for doing the same jobs, etc. the system sets you up to stay in a lower economic bracket. It's a vicious cycle.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
I'll correct your post..........

(1st paragraph)......."Minorities are much more likely to commit violent crimes "

(2nd paragraph)........."when you are given an education but fail to utilize it by constantly getting suspended or dropping out "

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink .

Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 AM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Minorities are much more likely to be convicted of violent crimes than their white counterparts. A white man shoots a black man, and it's self defense. A black man shoots a white man, and it's murder. The rise in video documentation of confrontations is confirming this. That skews statistics significantly.
Good gawd that argument has gotten old.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I'll correct your post..........

(1st paragraph)......."Minorities are much more likely to commit violent crimes "

(2nd paragraph)........."when you are given an education but fail to utilize it by constantly getting suspended or dropping out "

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink .
Minorities are also much more likely to be the victims of violent crimes, which could explain your assertion that they are more likely to commit violent crimes. To be honest, in my lifetime as a white woman, I have been far more threatened and afraid by middle-class / wealthy white boys and men than I have of any minority. In my experience, they have an idea that they are entitled to certain behaviors. They also have a history of receiving little or no repercussions for their actions, so there is little deterrent for them.

Walk through a public school in a poor section of a large inner city. Then walk through a public school in a wealthy suburb. Then report back to me. My guess is you've never done that. I have. I am in education. These kids are not getting the same level of education. Instead of addressing challenges like learning disabilities, spectrum disorders, etc., they suspend kids. Or kids drop out because they are physically incapable of comprehending the coursework. Read the IEP of a middle-class white student. Then read the IEP of a poor black student. Not the same at all. There's a good chance the middle-class white student will have an aide assigned to him and other accommodations. That's in addition to private therapists and such covered by their insurance. There's also a good chance that the poor black-student doesn't have those same accommodations. And they sure as heck can't afford occupational therapists and tutors who cost hundreds of dollars an hour.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
Quote:
Minorities are also much more likely to be the victims of violent crimes...
Yes. But it should be noted, for instance, that the #1 killer of black men is other black men. By far.

People need to tell the whole story, not just the part that furthers their own agenda or bias.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Minorities are also much more likely to be the victims of violent crimes, which could explain your assertion that they are more likely to commit violent crimes. To be honest, in my lifetime as a white woman, I have been far more threatened and afraid by middle-class / wealthy white boys and men than I have of any minority. In my experience, they have an idea that they are entitled to certain behaviors. They also have a history of receiving little or no repercussions for their actions, so there is little deterrent for them.

Walk through a public school in a poor section of a large inner city. Then walk through a public school in a wealthy suburb. Then report back to me. My guess is you've never done that. I have. I am in education. These kids are not getting the same level of education. Instead of addressing challenges like learning disabilities, spectrum disorders, etc., they suspend kids. Or kids drop out because they are physically incapable of comprehending the coursework. Read the IEP of a middle-class white student. Then read the IEP of a poor black student. Not the same at all. There's a good chance the middle-class white student will have an aide assigned to him and other accommodations. That's in addition to private therapists and such covered by their insurance. There's also a good chance that the poor black-student doesn't have those same accommodations. And they sure as heck can't afford occupational therapists and tutors who cost hundreds of dollars an hour.

(last paragraph)

The "pc" Minneapolis Tribune did a report years back on why inner city schools suspend Black
students at a higher rate than white students

They gave all the data then did interviews with 2 Black students

#1.......Black male, sophomore. Suspended 6 times between Sept and March.
Habitually late to class, refusing to sit down, fighting in class, constantly arguing with teacher, refusing to be quiet.

He said the problem was........" teachers don't like me "

#2...Black female, 8th grade, Suspended 4 times for habitual late for class, refusing to stay in her seat, constantly talking in class, fighting in class, arguing with teacher.

The girl's mother wanted to be interviewed.
The mother looked about 30, shorts, pot belly , big grin. She stated she was proud of her daughter and it was the teachers' fault because........."they just can't accept an opinionated young Black female "

In conclusion, contrary to all the evidence, the "pc" newspaper said it appeared the teachers need more diversity training on accepting Blacks.

Amazing !

Then we wonder why many sub teachers refuse assignments in predominately Black inner city schools ?

NO DISCIPLINE ENFORCED !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates