Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:49 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,472,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The nanny state has become a very powerful entity. The mentality that allows the nanny state to flourish is everywhere. People now think it's ok to hand over personal freedom to government in order to gaurantee thier safety and welll being. I the age of the nanny state smokers are public enemy number one. I personally have never smoked, and have no desire to, however I am repulsed by the idea that government should punish me in some way if I choose to smoke. The health risks are well known and it should be my choice to smoke or not, as it should be my choice to wear a helmet on a motercycle, put my kid in A car seat, eat too many Big Macs etc. The nanny state has crept into every part of our lives. If you live up north in a liberal state it is expidentially worse. I hear smokers pay an unbelievable amount of taxes for a pack of cigarettes. Once nanny state laws are in place it's impossible to get rid of them. Supporting smokers rights means supporting cancer, opposing car seat laws means you hate kids, opposing seatbelt laws means you want more people to die in car accidents etc. It is easy for nanny staters to paint out those who oppose thier efforts as being dr. Evils right hand man. I see it different, I support the right to choose to assume a risk.....why? Because as an American I was taught the value of freedom.
Amen, there is way too much intrusion into our lives by our government now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Amen.

Assault? Really assault? What the...

This country is screwed.
Way too many liberal snowflakes

Old 06-07-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Nailed it. There's also a big difference between having a car accident and ramming my car into someone on purpose.

So, I guess by the rationale of assault, if I physically kept someone in a room, not letting them leave, and chain smoked in it, then I would be guilty of assault by second hand smoke. Otherwise it's just not a viable argument.

I was quit clean for about 4 years, had an incident start me up again. Quit, but never got off the patches. Doctor said no more patches so.....recently I've been smoking again a little bit.

It's a tough habit to quit. What I really wish the government would do would be to regulate vaping. It seems like it would be much safer if there was a good way of controlling how much nicoteine was going into the body. It also eliminates the tar and most of the harmful effects from second hand smoke.
It sounds easy for me to say this, 50 years after the fact. I was smoking, and enjoying every puff, of non filtered Camels-3 packs a day-starting when I was 10 and quitting cold turkey when I was 21.

Try this. Carry around a small jar with an inch or so of water. Use it as an ash tray for 2-3 packs of cigs. Remember to dump the butts in the bottle as well as the ashes.

Now, stop cold turkey. Every time you feel like a smoke, take the lid off the jar and take a long deep smell. After a few days, the smell will make you so sick that you will not want to smoke any more. Keep the jar for a few weeks or months to smell if you ever get the urge to smoke again

Old 06-07-2017, 02:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,368,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The line for me would be when there is a difference between harm - versus - inconvenience. And yes, I know, those words are open to interpretation.
Loud music from your vehicle harms my ears, would you like to go to jail for that?
Emissions from your vehicle harm me more than emissions from my own vehicle, you should go to jail for that as well since you have assaulted me twice within a few minutes on a street corner because you were in your vehicle running errands tending to your life. Yup, you should be tossed in a cell for eternity and given bread and water.........

Old 06-07-2017, 02:07 PM

10,262 posts, read 6,358,518 times
Second hand smoke? How about now Third Hand Smoke? Even if somebody is not smoking right in front of you, but you can breathe the smell of smoke on their clothes? Do you have the right to not breathe the SMELLS from others? That assault too?

Your own car with no children, or other passengers, parked in a lot with windows rolled up? Crime too? Who is that harming? Third hand smoke from their clothes when they leave their cars?

Why stop with this? Back yard Charcoal Grills? Restaurants Smoking Meats? Charcoal or Wood Burning Fireplaces? Far more smoke than somebody on a street smoking a cigarette that you pass by for seconds.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
WTF do you buy a 1lb bag of tobacco???
Many smoke/tobacco shops sell it as well as Walmart in some areas.
This is not a new to society product.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The same place where you go too but cartons and cartons of cancer stick... I mean cigarettes, reservations.
You do know that there are people who have smoked for years that have never gotten cancer right?
Did you also know that there are people who have never smoked or been around smoke often that get lung cancer?
Did you also know there are children who are any age that have cancer, even babies?

Your *cancer stick* comment is very narrow minded and not completely true.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:03 PM

51,063 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Loud music from your vehicle harms my ears, would you like to go to jail for that?
Emissions from your vehicle harm me more than emissions from my own vehicle, you should go to jail for that as well since you have assaulted me twice within a few minutes on a street corner because you were in your vehicle running errands tending to your life. Yup, you should be tossed in a cell for eternity and given bread and water.........
That's a rather bizarre post.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:06 PM

51,063 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You do know that there are people who have smoked for years that have never gotten cancer right?
Did you also know that there are people who have never smoked or been around smoke often that get lung cancer?
Did you also know there are children who are any age that have cancer, even babies?

Your *cancer stick* comment is very narrow minded and not completely true.
Some people just can't face the truth.

Here's reality for you:

Smoking contributes to 80% (women)and 90% (men)of lung cancer deaths. Men who smoke are 23 times more likely to develop lung cancer. Women are 13 times more likely, compared to never smokers.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Some people just can't face the truth.

Here's reality for you:

Smoking contributes to 80% (women)and 90% (men)of lung cancer deaths. Men who smoke are 23 times more likely to develop lung cancer. Women are 13 times more likely, compared to never smokers.
Here's reality for you:
Statistics have little to do with the real world, that is a bizarre post and *some* people just can't face the truth........Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates