Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:45 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Here's reality for you:
Statistics have little to do with the real world, that is a bizarre post and *some* people just can't face the truth........Bless your heart.
Many find that life gives them a crash course in statistics.

I remember my grandfather saying exactly what you said...right up till the day he died gasping for breath from lung cancer, emphysema, and radiation poisoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Because it's not assault. That would be like trying to make farting around someone assault. Or trying to make idling your car next to a person assault. You are exposed to lots of dangerous things in life and things that you won't like, just accept it and quit being a baby.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:57 PM

600 posts, read 566,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
With the increasing research and studies over the years that prove that it has negative health effects, why has our society as a whole, not adopted the mindset that it should be considered as such?
Because $$$.

Now, if Cigarettes were made in China, it would have been banned a long time ago.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:04 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You do know that there are people who have smoked for years that have never gotten cancer right?
Did you also know that there are people who have never smoked or been around smoke often that get lung cancer?
Did you also know there are children who are any age that have cancer, even babies?

Your *cancer stick* comment is very narrow minded and not completely true.
During the smoggiest days in Los Angeles, just breathing in the air was the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day.

Today, in the smog pits of Beijing or New Delhi, I'm guessing breathing in the air is the equivalent of smoking 4 packs a day.

And? 30% of the air pollution in California today comes from polluted China, streaming across the Pacific!

2nd hand smoke dangers will never be proved.

I grew up in a small 800SF home in MN, with the windows closed during winter, father smoking 3 packs of Kool's every day, with a wife and 3 kids in the house, and my mother died at age 86, her lungs as clear as a bell. If I crossed the street to see a friend, both parents were smoking, so there was no escape from it. And the children of those parents, I've known thru the years, never developed any respiratory problems.

I've been rolling my own for 15 years with natural tobacco, and I've made the long arduous journey cutting down from 2 packs to 1 1/2 packs to 1 pack to 1/2 pack today, and I'm staying put! Cold turkey is not for everyone!

Instead of urging someone to quit, try: cut down, cut down, cut down!

We all have our addictions, everyone of us, and if you can't comprehend a smoker quitting, then think: could you live without a car or a Smartphone or the Internet?

Old 06-07-2017, 11:16 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
With the increasing research and studies over the years that prove that it has negative health effects, why has our society as a whole, not adopted the mindset that it should be considered as such?
Reason number 1: the taxes generated from tobacco sales.

Reason number 2: the US is not a country made up of snowflakes.

Reason number 3: See reasons 1 and 2.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:12 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

It's a tough habit to quit. What I really wish the government would do would be to regulate vaping. It seems like it would be much safer if there was a good way of controlling how much nicoteine was going into the body. It also eliminates the tar and most of the harmful effects from second hand smoke.
The last thing America needs is more government interference. The only reason they haven't regulated vaping more than they already have is because they're still figuring out a way to impose high taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Many find that life gives them a crash course in statistics.

I remember my grandfather saying exactly what you said...right up till the day he died gasping for breath from lung cancer, emphysema, and radiation poisoning.

He probably wasn't young (grandfather being the key word). I'm guessing he smoked a lot of years. Sounds like the cure (radiation) killed him.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The line for me would be when there is a difference between harm - versus - inconvenience. And yes, I know, those words are open to interpretation.
I feel that as a former smoker, if you want to kill yourself with cigarettes, have at it. I feel that the laws are more than sufficient to protect the lungs of non-smokers.

Let's spend our legislative focus on things that actually harm us, like tougher DUI laws. Where actual consumption of a drug can lead to multiple deaths and any given time. Until science proves that the amount of 2nd hand smoke I'm breathing everyday is worse for me than the smog I'm sucking in during rush hour, I'll turn my attention to stuff that can actually kill me.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Exclamation Bad information

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

...... People also forget Tobacco can be drunk, just like tea. Dry it, put it in a metal tea "bag", dunk it in hot water, add a little sugar, and down the hatch, and you get a nice nicotine hit or rush.

That's the way early Native Americans in South America did it, they drank it, but, usually, they'd make it so powerful it triggered hallucinations!

Caution! - This is really erroneous and dangerous information to be posting online and could be potentially fatal to unsuspecting people who try it.

Tobacco tea is highly toxic, it's an insecticide that gardeners use to kill insects. If drank by humans the nicotine poisoning acts as a body purge causing uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea and can cause respiratory and cardiac arrest.

Native Americans in South America have never used tobacco to make hallucinogenic teas, they make ayahuasca tea which is from completely different and less toxic plants.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-08-2017 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
My source came from the book Tobacco/A Cultural History Of How An Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Iain Gately.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My source came from the book Tobacco/A Cultural History Of How An Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Iain Gately.

Yes, dear, I know it's a very interesting and in depth history book but the information you provided is not accurate and it's dangerous. Nicotine poisoning is a very real thing and a tobacco infusion, or tea as you called it, is potentially lethal and not to be ingested.

Please, even if only for your own legal protection to save you from getting charged with illegal medical advice and malpractise, acquaint yourself with all the signs and symptoms of nicotine poisoning through ingestion or absorption before you think about suggesting again that anyone can "get a nice nicotine hit or rush" from drinking a tea made from tobacco. It's not correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates