Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 PM

310 posts, read 446,850 times

Advertisements

I have decided to just watch the local news nowadays. The mainstream media and cable channels, and newspapers all seem to be biased. There should be a warning label for the news nowadays:

CNN: left leaning commentary news channel
FOX: conservative commentary news channel
MSN: far left leaning commentary news channel
Local news stations: Just the facts. No commentary

The cable news stations should not be called "news." Should be "political commentary."

What are your thoughts on the "news" nowadays and how it has changed?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The surprising thing about the totally biased editorials that pass for "news" these days -- is that the news media is still found credible by about 18-percent of the population.

On the other hand, over 80-percent recognize that the self-important blather of the teleprompter-reading, talking heads is designed to sell advertising, not to intelligently inform or analyze. Most have become little more than a real life parody of Ted Baxter.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
The closest you'll find is One America New Network.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Some of these stations should be required to list themselves as biased political adds.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
It never did exist. It was just more subtle in the past.

After all, bias enters immediately when a source decides whether or not to cover something, then how to cover it.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
I have decided to just watch the local news nowadays. The mainstream media and cable channels, and newspapers all seem to be biased. There should be a warning label for the news nowadays:......
People have become a rabble of children who expect to be coddled and entertained. And the media are businesses that need customers in order to survive; thus, the switch in recent decades to accommodate a nation of totally immature adults who would go into instant nap mode if they were presented with a dry account of the news.

Give the customers what they want is the bottom line.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Every journalist has a political point-of-view, they are well informed about the subjects they cover and it would be near-impossible to be informed and not have an opinion. And given what we know about how impossible it is to report with pure objectivity, do we really want a single arbiter of information?

Simply exposing myself to as many ideas as possible from a variety of sources that have what amounts to be reasonably good reputations on accuracy, helps me form my own opinion.

I stopped watching "news" long time ago. The "news" is no longer the news - it's cabal "talking points," sound bites, and propaganda headlines. Major media journalism is biased, irresponsible, sensationalist reporting that distorts, exaggerates or misstates the truth.
On any given day, if you want to know what's really happening - instead of watching the "news", seek and use Internet news sources..
However, remember to re-examine your news sources periodically, because some sources simply disappear or change so radically that they're no longer dependable.

BTW - I totally agree with kevxu!

Last edited by elnina; 06-13-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 04:34 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
The news should present facts which would allow the viewer to form there own opinion based on what they believe. The problem with the news now is that people view the bias propaganda as facts. Too many people jump to conclusions based on bias opinions without hearing the whole story. I think society would be far different than what it is now if people slowed down to look at the facts and stopped listening to others opinions.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The news should present facts which would allow the viewer to form there own opinion based on what they believe. The problem with the news now is that people view the bias propaganda as facts. Too many people jump to conclusions based on bias opinions without hearing the whole story. I think society would be far different than what it is now if people slowed down to look at the facts and stopped listening to others opinions.
What is fact and what is opinion? Where are only the "facts" available? Everything is subjective, it is only the matter of degree and whether the source ATTEMPTS to be objective and presents both/all sides of the issue. Does the source clearly label what is opinion and commentary?

Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What is fact and what is opinion? Where are only the "facts" available? Everything is subjective, it is only the matter of degree and whether the source ATTEMPTS to be objective and presents both/all sides of the issue. Does the source clearly label what is opinion and commentary?
Exactly. So much of what is called "news" is really political commentary. Not news at all. And as news has become more about entertainment, there's been a massive shift in its focus--it's as if we have the media centers of NYC, LA & DC telling us that because such and such is important to their section of the world, it should be important to us yahoos elsewhere.

And these "infotainers" are really paid more as entertainers rather than news people, as they practically have all multi-million contracts. I don't see them relating to the average American anymore. And they are overpaid for what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.