Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Do you have data to suggest that Muslims in the USA have different attitudes to others or is Bill Maher and the Alt Right your source?

Do you even know that a very large % of Muslims are black Americans who certainly don't differ in how they view women when compared to other Americans?

What I find interesting is that the people who peddle this nonsense are the ones who don't even know what a Muslim lives like, much less know any. I do NOT hear non Muslims who live in communities with Muslims complaining. I do also know that the Muslim women who live in these communities dress in a wide array of attire, from the extremely skimpy to those dresses and headwear with a small peep hole.
Live in New Jersey and you will get all your answers.

I am not Alt-Right or a Liberal, a middle of the road American.

My proof is my experience's all my life living in America mostly NJ. I believe what I see and experience.

I don't watch opinionated news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 08:18 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
It's an American problem.
You're. It's an American problem because all too many Americans (like you) see the bogey man around every corner. There are bogeymen, but they're the exception, rather than the rule. As Ro1123 points out, many of us have broad experience with "foreigners", and for the most part, they're fine people. The problem your group has is that you always want to condemn large groups of people, rather than the individual bad eggs. And that's the perfect definition of bigotry.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're. It's an American problem because all too many Americans (like you) see the bogey man around every corner. There are bogeymen, but they're the exception, rather than the rule. As Ro1123 points out, many of us have broad experience with "foreigners", and for the most part, they're fine people. The problem your group has is that you always want to condemn large groups of people, rather than the individual bad eggs. And that's the perfect definition of bigotry.
I use to enjoy talking to people from another country and get their perspective of what life is about all over the world. After you get burned enough and watch M-13 starting fights in your neighborhood you stop being naive.

I know of potato farms in Northern Maine that uses immigrant labor and I don't see them as infiltrating Maine as they do in NJ just the somalis are and they are lazy. I see farmers and ranchers in the midwest that use them and the same in the southwest that have different experiences about them.

..."and for the most part". I live in an area where the concentration of them are the ones that don't respect our laws.

Everyone wants to dump on NJ but when the law abiding citizens speak up about how screwed up things are everyone is up in arms.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I use to enjoy talking to people from another country and get their perspective of what life is about all over the world. After you get burned enough and watch M-13 starting fights in your neighborhood you stop being naive.

I know of potato farms in Northern Maine that uses immigrant labor and I don't see them as infiltrating Maine as they do in NJ just the somalis are and they are lazy. I see farmers and ranchers in the midwest that use them and the same in the southwest that have different experiences about them.

..."and for the most part". I live in an area where the concentration of them are the ones that don't respect our laws.

Everyone wants to dump on NJ but when the law abiding citizens speak up about how screwed up things are everyone is up in arms.
I'm very aware of MS-13 (I assume that's what you're talking about, rather than M-13). I have often urged that the government completely subdue gang members, imprison them if they can, deport them if they can. Unfortunately for your point of view, I have know a very few Latino gang members and lots more honest and hardworking Latinos (primarily El Salvadoreans and Nicaraguans).

Perhaps your governor should spend more time fighting the gangs instead of laying on a closed beach and trying to eliminate health care for America's poor and middle class. I sure didn't hear him say much about gangs when he was running for the Republican nomination.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm very aware of MS-13 (I assume that's what you're talking about, rather than M-13). I have often urged that the government completely subdue gang members, imprison them if they can, deport them if they can. Unfortunately for your point of view, I have know a very few Latino gang members and lots more honest and hardworking Latinos (primarily El Salvadoreans and Nicaraguans).

Perhaps your governor should spend more time fighting the gangs instead of laying on a closed beach and trying to eliminate health care for America's poor and middle class. I sure didn't hear him say much about gangs when he was running for the Republican nomination.
I stand corrected...MS-13.

Yea our fat piece of ...lard governor will probably get in the Trump administration as a fourth choice the way things are going.

Middleclass citizens of America are getting a raw deal no matter how you look at it.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Do you have data to suggest that Muslims in the USA have different attitudes to others or is Bill Maher and the Alt Right your source?

Do you even know that a very large % of Muslims are black Americans who certainly don't differ in how they view women when compared to other Americans?

What I find interesting is that the people who peddle this nonsense are the ones who don't even know what a Muslim lives like, much less know any. I do NOT hear non Muslims who live in communities with Muslims complaining. I do also know that the Muslim women who live in these communities dress in a wide array of attire, from the extremely skimpy to those dresses and headwear with a small peep hole.
Several of my friends and acquaintances are Muslims, of varying degrees of orthodoxy. Most ended up in the US as graduate students in engineering, and are now college professors, researchers in some other capacity, or retirees.

The prevailing view among most (though not all) is that there’s merit to a higher degree of separation between the two genders, than what one finds in the mainstream Christian or secular West. The same holds for how people should dress, and in particular how women should dress. Some of this is cultural tradition, rather than citing of Qu’ranic verses or Hadiths. And the range of zeal for such ideas of course varies considerably.

In my observation, there is strong parallel between conservative Muslim and conservative Christian viewpoints in America. No, I don’t mean to equate putative endorsement of militancy, to compare the Crusades with recent horrors of explosions and shootings on TV, etc. Rather, I mean an extoling of “traditional†gender roles, conservative dress, sexual morality. I think that the same is true, to some extent, amongst immigrants from Africa (regardless of religion), Latin America and most parts of Asia.

The irony, therefore, is that the preponderance of modern immigrants is turning America into a more socially-conservative country, much along the lines of what’s being advocated by the “native†conservative religious-Right. Folks from the villages of El Salvador, Bangladesh, Tunisia or Turkey (just to give some random examples) are in terms of social-policy the natural allies of nth-generation American conservatives. Odd, isn’t it, how this latter group spurns their natural allies?!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Firstly, perhaps I was unclear in the distinction I am addressing between immigrants and refugees. Actual immigrants go through a process. Whilst refugees flood in and do not. The Cuban boat fleet, what's happened in Europe, that's a lot different animal from vetted immigration. Such overwhelming human waves do not allow for an actual process. It forces a countries hand. And allows in a LOT of people who shouldn't be.

Assimilating and being productive citizens of the country they are entering is not on their agenda. And they are not "iimmigrants". Historically large, sudden influx of refugees has caused serious problems. Clashes are inevitable, generally over cultural issues. The issue being discussed here is about ME refugees and is being drawn up along lines of the US doing what Europe did. For and against. Humanitarian issues vs practical limits. Those who feel we should throw open our doors and those who think we should not.

There will never be any agreement between the sides. Both ends get to using insulting rhetoric and anger festers. However, in the end I lean toward being practical in our "immigration" policies. Europe is a prime example of what happens going the humanitarian route.

Uh, no. Refugees who are slated to the USA get vetted thoroughly, a process that can take up to 2 years.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
I don't live in fear, I just refuse to follow along.

I am definitely that large percentage of America that has had real world experiences with them.
So am I. My neighbor across the street is Muslim. A lawyer who teaches law at a major university as well as running his own business. My daughter plays with his.

They're really no different than you and me - they want the best for their children, they worry about the bills, etc.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:52 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So am I. My neighbor across the street is Muslim. A lawyer who teaches law at a major university as well as running his own business. My daughter plays with his.

They're really no different than you and me - they want the best for their children, they worry about the bills, etc.
If they want to integrate into America I'm all for it. If they want America to shed pro-Western foreign policies I have a problem.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If they want to integrate into America I'm all for it. If they want America to shed pro-Western foreign policies I have a problem.
And yet Americans do exactly that when they are the expats. I lived in Thailand for a couple of years and rarely met an American expat who wasn't always telling Thai people how they should run THEIR country. Don't expect more from foreigners here than you expect from Americans "over there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates