Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'd be all in favor of one or two states being allowed to completely legalize access to all drugs. They should also legalize prostitution, so women have a way to make money to pay for those drugs. The male druggies can steal and kidnap to get their money. Then the rest of us can stand back while those states star to look more and more like Haiti. But most honest people don't want that, so thats why theres a war on drugs.
Even as all of these drugs are illegal now it hasn't stop your scenario from happening. Other crimes such as stealing and kidnapping would still be illegal so it's not going to be a complete free for all like you think.

I'm not in favor of legalizing all drugs myself just marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying. An alcoholic can get drunk for $10. A drug habit is at least $50.
Iirc, the main reason for prohibition was the husbands would spend the family money on drinking. It was believed it would solve social problems. It was obviously a failure but it wasn't created to hurt the social drinker.
Logically, Idc what people do but good luck with finding neighborhoods to put the safe use zones bc NIMBY is going to gear up like you've never seen. People ***** about bars/music venues/probation offices/homeless shelters, etc near them. I don't see anyone who has power allowing this which means it's going to be forced upon the already disenfranchised.
But how are you relating legalization with costs of certain drugs? What has an addict trying to pay for drugs to do with it? How do they pay for drugs now? Again, you seem to be assuming legalization is going to cause more people to start doing hard drugs, like you'll be able to go into 7-11 and buy a dime bag of coke, that is not what legalization is going to do. Regulations would be tight as a drum for harder drugs than pot, and pot would be regulated like alcohol. What do you mean by safe zones? You think there are going to be zones created where people gather to do drugs??

Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I have to wonder if there are any readers here who are avoiding the use of drugs BECAUSE they are illegal? I doubt it. Users use because they want to, and non-users don't use because they don't want to. Users are using in spite of laws, therefore it makes little sense to bother making the laws and no sense to enforcing them.

Unfortunately, a fact of life is that there is very little hope of reforming wife beaters, child molesters or drug addicts (do your own search of the psych lit to verify that). Programs requiring drug rehab are token efforts designed to make it appear like elected officials are accomplishing something. How many users do each of us know who have been thru rehab-- multiple times -- and are still users?

Drug use is a symptom of a greater problem in our mega-society: many people no longer find personal satisfaction from the activities in their daily lives on a regular basis and need to substitute artificial, exogenous chemicals to fill cerebral endorphin & dopamine receptors to achieve the feeling of happiness.

You can't legislate morality or happiness.
I don't think there is any similarity between child molesters, wife beater and drug addicts. The first 2 are products of their lifetime experiences, or born with urges they can't control or tempers they can't control. They have usually had signs something was wrong even when young.

Addicts come in all shapes and sizes. Many of the heroin addicted today were productive people until an injury put them on Opioids, which they developed a physical dependence on. How is that in any way similar to wife beaters and child molesters?? How is it immoral?

And again, how is recreational and responsible use of drugs like pot any different at all then alcohol? It''s not, yet I never see people on the forums trying to seek some deep societal answer to why we have bars or why people drink beer at the baseball game. "oh, people are buying beer at the ballpark because they are sooo dysfunctional they can't even go to a baseball game without artificially altering their mental state with drugs"

As an aside, there are MANY people who have successfully recovered from drug addiction. Is it easy? No. Do people have to try many times for success? Sometimes, yes. But ask me how many attempts I had to make to quit cigarettes before it took...does that addition equate me to child molesters and wife beaters too?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I'd be all in favor of one or two states being allowed to completely legalize access to all drugs. They should also legalize prostitution, so women have a way to make money to pay for those drugs. The male druggies can steal and kidnap to get their money. Then the rest of us can stand back while those states star to look more and more like Haiti. But most honest people don't want that, so thats why theres a war on drugs.
I don't need to resort to prostitution, as I have a professional job that allows me to pay for my pot. My boyfriend, who I suppose is the "male druggie" in your fantasy, has his own business to pay for his.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
THe OP is about ending the war on drugs, which i take to mean all drugs. I should have added, that along with ending the war on drugs, it should include ending all drug treatment programs,which have a high failure rate, and emergency services for overdoses. If people want to pursue their vices, fine, but I dont see why the public should be forced to save them.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
THe OP is about ending the war on drugs, which i take to mean all drugs. I should have added, that along with ending the war on drugs, it should include ending all drug treatment programs,which have a high failure rate, and emergency services for overdoses. If people want to pursue their vices, fine, but I dont see why the public should be forced to save them.
Why just drugs? The public provides alcohol addiction treatment. The public provides medical services including liver transplants for alcoholics, and long term care for when they get wet brain and can no longer function, the public pays for lung cancer treatment for smokers. The public pays for scooters for people too fat to walk anymore, and rehab for Diabetics who get their feet and legs amputated a little at a time because they can't give up their Cheetos..

So tell me, please, why are we separating the users of OTHER drugs aside from those I just mentioned? Why is this particular vice so stuck in your craw as the one whose users deserve to be punished/excluded from society and even health care?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:14 PM

558 posts, read 338,306 times
Denver was Normandy Beach in the War On Drugs. I moved there to do my part to liberate 5,000,000 people. Every single person that predicted mayhem as a result of allowing adults to smoke what they want was deliberately lying.

Denver is today a wealthy place, with a crime rate no higher than average. Most of the “pot is a gateway drug” trash talkers could not even afford to live there.

$500,000,000 in tax revenue in 3.5 years.

One of the saddest stories since then was when a Colorado State Trooper was killed on duty. Alcohol.

Retired Army colonel sentenced to eight years for DUI crash that killed Colorado trooper – The Denver Post

Last edited by CatPeople; 07-26-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 05:32 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Beyond upsetting big pharma, having racist excuses to imprison/exploit minorities, lining the pockets of the elite and wasting trillions of course.

Of all the wars in human history, has there ever been a war as pointless for the common person as the war on drugs? What would it mean if it were to truly end and no one were jailed/imrpisoned for any drugs and the likes of the DEA and the ATF were completely disbanded?
Perhaps an improvement on society in general?

Instead of Mass Incarceration we could channel that money into education.

Families not torn apart, the end to privatized prisons, the end tp selective enforcement of certain drugs, races, and societal groups.

All in all - an improvement. Just like the end of prohibition.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM

510 posts, read 370,862 times
A 2/15 study by Feds said alcohol is the only popular "recreational" drug that causes a statistically significant increase in car crashes. Study is on Wikipedia, says what other studies did not consider. Almost 0 pot smokers harm anyone else.

Cannabis is not illegal according to the Constitution we are no longer using. Yep, there's nothing on there that says which drugs we can or can't use. When alcohol was made illegal and re-legalized, they both had Constitutional amendments, not so with cannabis becoming illegal. Why would anyone trust a gov't that says you must have only the most harmful drugs to be safe? Alcohol kills 88,000 a year, tobacco maybe around 250,000 a year like prescription drugs, and drug-laden foods about 500,000 a year/

Trust your corporate gov't if you wish for early death. Cannabis kills 0, is that why it's illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Exactly, problem solved because we all know nobody would ever do anything illegal.....

Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 PM

510 posts, read 370,862 times
Cannabis causes 0 deaths and has many dozens of heath benefits. You can't honestly say that all drugs are equal, or that drugs laws are based on harm. So what are they based on, other than who makes the most?

How would you like to be accused of being a drug dealer, and as a result have the cash in your wallet taken, plus your vehicle? No proof is required under Civil Asset Forfeiture. I wouldn't profit from lying to you, but if you don't believe me, look it up.

Quote:
THe OP is about ending / e war on drugs, which i take to mean all drugs. I should have added, that along with ending the war on drugs, it should include ending all drug treatment programs,which have a high failure rate, and emergency services for overdoses. If people want to pursue their vices, fine, but I dont see why the public should be forced to save them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates