Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:16 AM

983 posts, read 740,305 times

Advertisements

Beyond upsetting big pharma, having racist excuses to imprison/exploit minorities, lining the pockets of the elite and wasting trillions of course.

Of all the wars in human history, has there ever been a war as pointless for the common person as the war on drugs? What would it mean if it were to truly end and no one were jailed/imrpisoned for any drugs and the likes of the DEA and the ATF were completely disbanded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 06:40 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
I would think there would be less accidental overdoses since the dosages would be mechanically measured. I realize there would still be some that would "take two."

I think the more liberal would be unhappy. They would probably want much more spent on education, rehabilitation, training, etc. when that would defeat the purpose of ending the war in the minds of many.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:44 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,803,378 times
Time to declare victory and withdraw. Marleinie, I absolutely agree with you and could not have put it better. If people want to kill themselves doing drugs, have at it. If they turn violent or bothersome they can be put away. Give them feeding centers, a shelter for bad weather and they can live that way.

This war can't be won. Fighting it might prevent a few people from going that way but not many.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,860,659 times
The "War on Drugs" is little more than a nebulous euphemism for taking steps to oppose the unfettered spread of drugs among our children, the destructive effects of drugs on families and our society - and the crime perpetrated either to get drugs -- or as a result of drug influence.

The people who would lose the most money if illegal drugs were legalized and made readily available and cheap ... is the drug cartels, dealers and gangs. As with marijuana legalization, society only benefits from taxation, but, it has yet been shown that there are any other positive benefits.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 AM

24,579 posts, read 17,321,260 times
The War was fought and obviously lost.
Today we have states allowing first medical marijuana dispensaries and now recreational pot for everyone.
The many programs that were rolled out as feel good measures to try and keep kids off drugs are questionable whether they helped.
We have an epidemic of people of all ages and all walks of life taking drugs and some are killing themselves.

The War is lost but I'd like to see the survivors circle the wagons so to speak and if anyone chooses to risk their lives by taking dangerous drugs and they overdose and die we allow them to die and their organs that can be harvested are taken and given to people who want desperately to live.

Sometimes I think we do too much for people that don't deserve our help.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM

866 posts, read 631,607 times
Unhappy A small fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Beyond upsetting big pharma, having racist excuses to imprison/exploit minorities, lining the pockets of the elite and wasting trillions of course.

Of all the wars in human history, has there ever been a war as pointless for the common person as the war on drugs? What would it mean if it were to truly end and no one were jailed/imrpisoned for any drugs and the likes of the DEA and the ATF were completely disbanded?
I am sure the Super Rich Elite bankers/rulers would find another way to make more and more $$$ and the Intoxicating POWER that it brings to them. So long as fear and pain rules this planet, the stupendously wealthy/powerful Elite will be right there to SAVE everyone - for a small fee!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:18 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,660,723 times
There would be no high risk factor for the cartels to exit and their cash flow would be cut off. Likewise Fu ds getting dumped into this insane war by the gove9would be available for more constructive purposes. Personnel, weapons and other equipment, facilities, you name it wod no longer be needed. Scratch one money pig, a d there would be no need for all the murders and other violent measures to protect the drug operations.

The government doesn't want the war ended because there's big money involved. Sizing down government power isn't on the menu. A d the DEA, ATF, FBI xyz personnel also rake in big bucks in corrupt dealings. The cartels are speaking g fragrant grease quite liberally. Yep, this is one war that could be easily won by declaring peace. Doing so would also chop a lot of corruption off at the knees.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
I think the big thing is we could see the end of drug cartel power. Why, we wouldn't need as much marijuana or heroin from the cartels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I would think there would be less accidental overdoses since the dosages would be mechanically measured. I realize there would still be some that would "take two."

I think the more liberal would be unhappy. They would probably want much more spent on education, rehabilitation, training, etc. when that would defeat the purpose of ending the war in the minds of many.
Doubt it, we may see a drop but it won't be that big. People will still OD based on over-use or cross-use. Remember you can even OD on homeopathic medicine. Alexa Ray Joel Out Of Hospital After Homeopathic Overdose - MTV Overdose just means you use more than you should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There would be no high risk factor for the cartels to exit and their cash flow would be cut off. Likewise Fu ds getting dumped into this insane war by the gove9would be available for more constructive purposes. Personnel, weapons and other equipment, facilities, you name it wod no longer be needed. Scratch one money pig, a d there would be no need for all the murders and other violent measures to protect the drug operations.

The government doesn't want the war ended because there's big money involved. Sizing down government power isn't on the menu. A d the DEA, ATF, FBI xyz personnel also rake in big bucks in corrupt dealings. The cartels are speaking g fragrant grease quite liberally. Yep, this is one war that could be easily won by declaring peace. Doing so would also chop a lot of corruption off at the knees.
I don't think the ATF has much except if you talk one of those cigarette raquets with the mafia.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:35 PM

19,104 posts, read 27,696,540 times
I am not sure I understood what this means:
lining the pockets of the elite

Elite IS the one that keeps drugs illegal. To preserve high pricing and market. They will actually lose money. Example: Windsors. they control opium production and supply from china, Afghanistan, India and Pakistan for centuries.

Folks, there is no such thing as illegal drugs. Any "black market" substance is technically medicinal one, only not available for over the counter purchase. There is a large "official" cocaine and opium trade in the world, thousands of tons, as they are used as source for best quality pain medication in health care. Codein, one of the 12 poppy alkaloids, is cough suppressor. Synthetic same medications simply do not work as well. That same substance happens to provide hallucinogenic effect of various strength simply allowed to create sub-legal trade of it, with state (controlled by Elite) deciding what is legal, what is not. Cocaine literally not so long ago was easily accessible for any Joe from the street in apothecary.
Someone figured, they can make more money making it "illegal" and there you are. Same goes for opioids. It was sold not that far back openly, in various forms. Then $$$$ came in and that was it.
So, as narcotics is slowly becoming the most lucrative market in the world, beating firearms on the second place - number one is raw materials - it will never become legal. Too much baksheesh in it.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,224,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

I'm sure the more Conservative would be upset at taking away one more reason to lock people up and put money into the prison system

Ultimately I doubt much will change. The war on drugs has not really curbed drug use. It's hard to really imagine what will get people to stop using drugs besides moving to an area with greater economic opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates