Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:42 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times

Advertisements

Cuomo should ask for more funds to fix the subways first

Old 08-19-2017, 05:56 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Cuomo should ask for more funds to fix the subways first
What has Cuomo got to do with Charlottesville?
What do subways have to do with statues?

Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 PM

35,086 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What has Cuomo got to do with Charlottesville?
What do subways have to do with statues?
Read the OP. There are apparently some offensive tiles that mark the center of the island of Manhattan.

Go figure. This is blithering stupidity.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:19 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In the world of 'identity politics' and 'virtue signaling', we choose our heroes and choose our victims on the basis of historical perception rather than historical accuracy. Thus, Robert E. Lee offends while George Washington, also a slave owner, does not.

Much of this is to do with subordinating history to contemporary politics. It is the management of history to support a political agenda. This isn't a new phenomenon although it has tended to be the hallmark of dictators and authoritarian regimes. But what we are seeing in the democratic west - and this is far from limited to the USA - is a new authoritarianism and intolerance which is using the tools of the technological revolution to impose its norms and police the recalcitrants.
Very well said! I agree that it is not just the US, I know that the UK has experienced this sort of stuff too.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The New York City subway system is facing the need for a major overhaul. Thread such as Governor Cuomo Ignoring Subway Disaster have discussed the problems and the finger pointing going into bringing the system up to snuff. The system in a sense is a victim of its own success. The city is gentrifying. Middle class, upper middle class and wealthy people go out at night and use the subway. The subways need upgrades to handle this new business.

So, in the latest identity politics hysteria anything looking remotely like a Confederate symbol is subject to attack. We're removing statues of Robert E. Lee. Someone notices a tile scheme (picture below) looking a bit like the Confederate battle flag.

So what do we do? Program the removal of the "offensive" tile that had to have been installed a long time ago. And remember, NYC was never in the confederacy. See MTA to Replace Times Square Subway Tiles That Look Like Confederate Flags.

I don't think that historical symbols such as tiling or Robert E. Lee statues are holding back minorities from producing and earning on their merits. The culture of grievance has gone way too far.

I think it's way past time to stop relitigating a war that ended 162 years ago.

just one more reason to add to the list of why I do not live in a large city..........

Old 08-19-2017, 08:29 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Good question.

Statues represent a perspective at the point in time that they were erected. The Charlottesville statue was erected in 1924. Cities and towns across the globe have statues that were erected mostly in the past two hundred years. They generally glorify or remember people, regiments, organizations, etc. that, at the time, were considered worthy of recognition. Over time, their significance tends to fade and they become objects of urban art as much as anything. Most people don't give them a second thought.

What has happened in Charlottesville is that a statue has become the unwitting centerpiece of a modern political struggle which has very little to do with why the statue was erected in the first place.
But why would anyone in Charlottesville erect a statue in 1924 of a traitor to the United States and a loser of a rebellion that ended 60 years earlier? Why would that need to be commemorated?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:35 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But why would anyone in Charlottesville erect a statue in 1924 of a traitor to the United States and a loser of a rebellion that ended 60 years earlier? Why would that need to be commemorated?
Unfortunately, as I wasn't around in 1924 I cannot answer your question. That may be something that you would wish to research.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:59 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, as I wasn't around in 1924 I cannot answer your question. That may be something that you would wish to research.
1924 was another time that the KKK made a tremendous resurgence in Virginia. https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org...ia#start_entry

Old 08-19-2017, 09:02 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Depending on which side of a war you were on, that leader was a valued member to his squad.

I don't believe in re-writing some historical military leaders ...they served for what they believed in. WHether I concur is moot.

I think if our country can learn from the past we'd be in a better place today. We keep repeating it though...

Old 08-19-2017, 09:10 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Taking a statue down does not "eradicate" history. What one learns from a statue is next to nothing.
But its empty space will teach NOTHING - that is for certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates