Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I got a prescription for a cream, and it was filled with a generic version that was made in India. This bothered me since I have heard from a youtuber who travels around the world and has been to 106 countries that India is the dirtiest country he has ever visited. Today I read a BBC article that says that 50% of Indian people do not use toilets and poop in open fields. Do we really want these people to go to factories that make prescription medication that we use in the US? I think that the FDA should ban prescription medication from India.

From the article:

"Even where toilets have been built, many do not use them, despite the spread of diseases associated with faeces. Last year, Unicef estimated that about half the population of India do not use toilets."
I'm sure they keep the pooping field people separate from the pharmaceutical clean rooms.

You need to travel more, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Your threads are really strange and lack the proper context. I really don't know how to respond. You aren't buying drugs from a corner drugstore in Delhi, but drugs imported into the US and sold at local pharmacies under FDA license. The few links posted above quote the FDA's disclosure of fake drugs and the added enforcement. Obviously - black market/"fake" drugs would not be subject to FDA inspections and would be banned from import to the US.
Your second link details the FDA increased scrutiny in India, and comes off as anything but a joke.

I really don't understand your premise for this topic - which appears to be about feces disposal in India, not drugs. Maybe you want to start over.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-23-2017 at 05:17 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
And in the U.S., at least one-third of the country doesn't wash its hands properly after going to the bathroom. Does that mean your American medicines have a good chance of being contaminated?
Where did you get this information?

My first experience with a person from India was a Science teacher in 10th grade. A woman who had it in for all the white males and said she baths with oils and Americans are wrong to use soap.

That explains all the talk around school of her smell and attitude.

We should boycott anything from India.

Do they still let cows wander around at will?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
American dermatologists will tell you that they hate most American soaps and that we use too much of them on our skin.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
American dermatologists will tell you that they hate most American soaps and that we use too much of them on our skin.
"Most"

Stay away for the Dial family pak and let water hit your body everyday and you will be fine.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
NO! The FDA should encourage more drugs from India at prices we can afford.

I take a handful of drugs daily, and most are covered or mostly covered by my insurance. One isn't. When I started taking it 20 years ago, it was $300 for 30 pills. It's now $1650 for the exact same 30 pills... from my local pharmacist. I can't afford that, so I order from Canada and get generics made in India. Those 30 pills cost $30. Really! $1650 vs. $30! That's a savings of nearly $20,000 annually!

Were our pharmaceutical companies not so greedy, I'd have happily continued paying the $300 monthly bill, but when they increase the price of an established drug by 550% over a 20-year-period, I look for alternatives. Another med I've been taking for 27 years has increased in price nearly as much, but since I take 1/8 as much of it now and insurance pays for half of that, I've been sticking to it. Still, it's waaaaay too much.

I believe in capitalism and that businesses should be allowed to set their own prices and let competition keep it fair, but that's not working for drug makers. Something NEEDS to be done by our lawmakers in this case. Meanwhile, my meds made in India work just fine for less than 2% of the cost of U.S. made drugs.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
NO! The FDA should encourage more drugs from India at prices we can afford.

I take a handful of drugs daily, and most are covered or mostly covered by my insurance. One isn't. When I started taking it 20 years ago, it was $300 for 30 pills. It's now $1650 for the exact same 30 pills... from my local pharmacist. I can't afford that, so I order from Canada and get generics made in India. Those 30 pills cost $30. Really! $1650 vs. $30! That's a savings of nearly $20,000 annually!

Were our pharmaceutical companies not so greedy, I'd have happily continued paying the $300 monthly bill, but when they increase the price of an established drug by 550% over a 20-year-period, I look for alternatives. Another med I've been taking for 27 years has increased in price nearly as much, but since I take 1/8 as much of it now and insurance pays for half of that, I've been sticking to it. Still, it's waaaaay too much.

I believe in capitalism and that businesses should be allowed to set their own prices and let competition keep it fair, but that's not working for drug makers. Something NEEDS to be done by our lawmakers in this case. Meanwhile, my meds made in India work just fine for less than 2% of the cost of U.S. made drugs.
I agree totally with your post! My Migraine medicine, even with GoodRx costs close to $400 for 6 pills, and Blue Cross stopped covering it 2 years ago (because it costs $400 for 6 pills). The patent on it expired in January, and I have been looking for a generic ever since, but still there is none available, which I couldn't understand... until I read that pharmaceutical companies are actually paying off the companies that were to be making the generics NOT to make it...this article said it is now common practice for the drug makers to pay generic companies not to make the generic versions of certain profitable drugs. This IMO should be illegal.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:17 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
I got a prescription for a cream, and it was filled with a generic version that was made in India. This bothered me since I have heard from a youtuber who travels around the world and has been to 106 countries that India is the dirtiest country he has ever visited. Today I read a BBC article that says that 50% of Indian people do not use toilets and poop in open fields. Do we really want these people to go to factories that make prescription medication that we use in the US? I think that the FDA should ban prescription medication from India.

From the article:

"Even where toilets have been built, many do not use them, despite the spread of diseases associated with faeces. Last year, Unicef estimated that about half the population of India do not use toilets."
You might be interested to know that I have Japanese friends who get sick every time they come to the States due to our "poor food hygiene standards", and Thais think we're dirty because we don't wash out butt after using the toilet. It's all relative. You need to get around more.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:44 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times
If you have any curiosity about pharmaceuticals from India, then you need to read these two articles.

Dirty medicine | Fortune.com
Ranbaxy

The worst of it didn't get much press, and that was selling ineffective HIV drugs in Africa. No one wants to think about how many deaths resulted from that.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:22 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree totally with your post! My Migraine medicine, even with GoodRx costs close to $400 for 6 pills, and Blue Cross stopped covering it 2 years ago (because it costs $400 for 6 pills). The patent on it expired in January, and I have been looking for a generic ever since, but still there is none available, which I couldn't understand... until I read that pharmaceutical companies are actually paying off the companies that were to be making the generics NOT to make it...this article said it is now common practice for the drug makers to pay generic companies not to make the generic versions of certain profitable drugs. This IMO should be illegal.
I would love to know how, absent insurance there is a market for drugs at this price. These practices and prices are outrageous and short of subsidies I just don't see the market. How many uber-wealthy people are there with migraines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates