Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:32 AM

48 posts, read 30,931 times

Advertisements

I believe the NFL concussion problem is over hyped and that there may be a bigger problem concussions with just average people. I will use myself as an example one I do not wear a helmet.

I believe the average person gets as many concussions as a football player and is not wearing a helmet. I will list some of the times I got concussions.

1. Twice as a child I fell on my head from distance of couple feet from ground once was at park fell from jungle gym had to get stitches in for head.

2. Twice rear ended as adult in car both times concussions.

3. In military was in more than one bar fight once was kicked in head multiple times at bar fight had concussion.

Anyone can have a couple concussions it does not seem like football players get a huge amount of concussions one they are wearing advanced helmets two they are pulled out of games now and last season I did not see a huge amount of players get pulled out.

So if you can get a concussion anywear why not do it playing football making millions of dollars. I think my concussions are starting to have an effect on me but since I did not play football I do not think of will get the care a retired football player gets.

My argument is the fact that you can get a concussion anywhere I think they are blowing it out if proportion in football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Of course you can get a concussion anywhere. If your job requires you to collide with others on a regular basis, it makes sense that your opportunity for concussion is significantly higher. If you get injured on the job, do you expect workman's comp? Disability if appropriate?

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM

On the macro scale I believe there are millions out there with the same disease a small amount of football players are getting from concussions. So I am arguing this is a major health problem for all people.

One of the biggest concussions I had was when I was attacked and kicked in the head I was young and dumb and should of tried to hold someonbe responsible but if that concussion caused a disease I can't get workman comp.

Also someone not playing football that gets hit in the head at work cannot prove they have the brain disease from concussion. Only football players as far as I know are donating brains to be studied.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 PM

A "small amount of football players"? I beg to differ.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Small compared to the millions I am assuming may have it in general public.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1sun View Post
Small compared to the millions I am assuming may have it in general public.
I doubt "millions" in the general public have repeated concussions caused by the very nature of their jobs, over the course of their working careers.

But I think I'm out of this discussion.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Say every football player has cte I am arguing it ius nothing in comparisons to the millions if Americans that may have it and the impact it us having on our society. Why just focus on football players maybe there needs to be education for everyone on the dangers of concussions maybe I would have been more carefully on some of the things I did

Old 09-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I doubt "millions" in the general public have repeated concussions caused by the very nature of their jobs, over the course of their working careers.

But I think I'm out of this discussion.
Not just talking about work, could be anything any accident fall rough housing

Old 09-06-2017, 12:47 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1sun View Post
On the macro scale I believe there are millions out there with the same disease a small amount of football players are getting from concussions. So I am arguing this is a major health problem for all people.
I would suggest moving away from merely "believing" and doing some research to find out what the prevalence of this disease is in the general population vs. football players.

I have never had a concussion, and I don't know very many people who have had them, let alone at the rate you have apparently been incurring them.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
It is going to be interesting to see studies as we progress. I want to know if there is a real concussion danger or if it is an issue of past players hiding concussions (to not be taken out) and then playing with the injury and compounding it until they are forced to not play.

We know NOW if a player gets looked at the wrong way they are pulled out (rightfully so) and forced to go through concussion protocol. In the past you could wobble off the field convince everyone you're ok and then go back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates