Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1sun View Post
I believe the NFL concussion problem is over hyped and that there may be a bigger problem concussions with just average people. I will use myself as an example one I do not wear a helmet.

I believe the average person gets as many concussions as a football player and is not wearing a helmet. I will list some of the times I got concussions.

1. Twice as a child I fell on my head from distance of couple feet from ground once was at park fell from jungle gym had to get stitches in for head.This has never happened to me or most people I know

2. Twice rear ended as adult in car both times concussions.Never happened

3. In military was in more than one bar fight once was kicked in head multiple times at bar fight had concussion.Never happened

Anyone can have a couple concussions it does not seem like football players get a huge amount of concussions one they are wearing advanced helmets two they are pulled out of games now and last season I did not see a huge amount of players get pulled out.

So if you can get a concussion anywear why not do it playing football making millions of dollars. I think my concussions are starting to have an effect on me but since I did not play football I do not think of will get the care a retired football player gets.

My argument is the fact that you can get a concussion anywhere I think they are blowing it out if proportion in football.
Your argument comes solely from your personal experiences and is in no way shape or form representative of the majority of the regular population who have most likely never had a concussion.

As one poster said when you have a sport where huge men are constantly colliding with other huge men for over 3 hours at a time it should be obvious that there is a higher risk and higher occurrence of concussions than the general population. The higher risk being key here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
The concussion issue involves all players in contact sports at all ages. I doubt there are many (?any) schools or colleges that don't have concussion protocols in place at this point.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Say every football player has cte I am arguing it ius nothing in comparisons to the millions if Americans that may have it and the impact it us having on our society. Why just focus on football players maybe there needs to be education for everyone on the dangers of concussions maybe I would have been more carefully on some of the things I did
I think I get what you are saying. And yes, concussions in all our population is an issue in terms of many people having undiagnosed issues from multiple concussions or more precisely, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Some turn to addiction to deal with it, or become violent. But as a group, it's looking like the incidence of brain injury is higher in football player - hence football players are an obvious group to study. And some sad, but interesting cases brought it to light such as spousal abuse or suicide. What is concerning about this group is that they have discovered old brain injuries post mortem, and are seeing cases of Parkinson's disease, ALS, Alzheimer's in much higher %'s. A 15 year study outlines this https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrB...Mt721nzmi5FlM- And, this group has been found to have triple the risk of the diseases I mentioned https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...nsons-diseases

If you are having issues from your multiple concussions, which unfortunately, would be no surprise, help is available. You need to see a neurologist who may partner in your care with a behavioral psychologist. Don't go it alone! I wish you good health!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
A concussion is not required to cause damage to the brain.

Football players many times have sub-concussive events in the course of practice or an actual game.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
I don't think the NFL concussion problem is overhyped. You have the biggest, fastest, strongest segment of the population all on one field.

I do think the concussion problem in youth, HS, and college football is overhyped. 98% of High School football players never play in college, and 98% of D1 players never play professionally.

You simply don't hear about chronic problems with all the kids that played HS football growing up, aside from the odd knee problem or something.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
I believe the NFL concussion problem is over hyped and that there may be a bigger problem concussions with just average people. I will use myself as an example one I do not wear a helmet.

I believe the average person gets as many concussions as a football player and is not wearing a helmet. I will list some of the times I got concussions.

1. Twice as a child I fell on my head from distance of couple feet from ground once was at park fell from jungle gym had to get stitches in for head.

2. Twice rear ended as adult in car both times concussions.

3. In military was in more than one bar fight once was kicked in head multiple times at bar fight had concussion.

Anyone can have a couple concussions it does not seem like football players get a huge amount of concussions one they are wearing advanced helmets two they are pulled out of games now and last season I did not see a huge amount of players get pulled out.

So if you can get a concussion anywear why not do it playing football making millions of dollars. I think my concussions are starting to have an effect on me but since I did not play football I do not think of will get the care a retired football player gets.

My argument is the fact that you can get a concussion anywhere I think they are blowing it out if proportion in football.

So what? You can get shot anywhere - but nevertheless you are much more likely to get shot if you are in a battlefield in Syria. How is that even "an argument." Are you sure your concussions didn't affect the way your brain works?

The concussion studies have compared the results against the general population (i.e. including people who randomly get concussed like you are talking about). There is higher incidence and more damage seen in NFL players. Its not out of proportion - what was previously being done was disproportionate in the opposite direction - i.e. it was being denied and hidden.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:45 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
On the macro scale I believe there are millions out there with the same disease a small amount of football players are getting from concussions. So I am arguing this is a major health problem for all people.

One of the biggest concussions I had was when I was attacked and kicked in the head I was young and dumb and should of tried to hold someonbe responsible but if that concussion caused a disease I can't get workman comp.

Also someone not playing football that gets hit in the head at work cannot prove they have the brain disease from concussion. Only football players as far as I know are donating brains to be studied.
First, most people don't get conk in the head. secondly IF one gets hit in the head at work or anywhere it's usually a once in a life time occurrence. I'm 57 and managed to get though life without a concussion. My sons are in their 20's and never had one. so no people on average are not walking around getting head injuries.
On that note, football players get hit every week for on average 2 hours on game day. Next when's the last time you got hit with 300 lbs of muscle rushing at you at top speed??

what job do you work where you've got 5, 300 lbs guys rushing at you?

My dad said it best, if you want to play football you must have a total disregard for your body.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times
I sometimes think that the concussion business is overhyped. Why wasn't this an issue years ago. Football has been around a long time now and I never heard anything about concussions until resent years. I think boxing has more head injuries than football.
As far as a normal person having as many head injuries as a football player like the OP suggested I would disagree. A football player gets hit hundreds of times every game. It is like a minor car crash the effects on the body. That is what I think the concern is. Arthiritis later in life is common for football players.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I sometimes think that the concussion business is overhyped. Why wasn't this an issue years ago. Football has been around a long time now and I never heard anything about concussions until resent years.
Because it wasn't being studied years ago. If it was it would've been an issue then. There are many retired football players who wish it had been studied more in their playing days.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:51 PM

48 posts, read 30,903 times
I am not saying it does not exist in football but is over hyped and maybe more prevalent in other populations. NFL is where the money is do not here about concussions in hockey or rugby. What about MMA? What about the average person if there us 350 million or so I am not googling people in US is it going to far to say a couple million may have had multiple concussions that can lead to disease how many car accidents a year how many battered spouses getting punched in the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates