Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's not really the concern about AI.

AI killing drones (they are already being made). AI soldiers (they are trying to make these - the robot that can backflip has already been made). Those are some of the concerns.

Automation - not really a concern for most people. AI automatons - is a concern.
The robot that can backflip is a joke, too many people are wowed by it, something like this would have been cool in the 80s or 90s, but not today. They dont stop to think DARPA and other secret SAPs have robots that are decades+ beyond this dumb thing.

The general public will NEVER have access or be allowed to know about the really good stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 11:40 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Most people accept the reality of the situation..............machines are going to advance and be used more and more to replace humans. Just like back in the days when the automobile was getting wildly popular...........most horse & buggy people knew what was going to eventually happen.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Most people accept the reality of the situation..............machines are going to advance and be used more and more to replace humans. Just like back in the days when the automobile was getting wildly popular...........most horse & buggy people knew what was going to eventually happen.
You are forgetting that modern mentality is much different compared to horse and buggy days though. If they had the mentality we have today, horse and buggy would still be the dominant mode of transportation, the car would have been seen as too much of a threat to the horse/buggy industry at the time.

Things really changed with 'The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951', if we keep going with this mind set, we will never progress much further than we are right now. We need to do away with this act and watch technology leap forward, watch all the Edisons, Teslas, etc of our time come out. The internet, Youtube, etc is the perfect 'soapbox' to demonstrate new inventions and creations (even if some may be a threat to certain industries).

Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Over the past several weeks, there have been multiple threads about illegal immigrants taking jobs from Americans. But I find it odd how no one is talking about the increasing trend of automation and the increasing online marketplace is affecting the labor market.

There hasn't been much discussion of brick and mortar retail chains closing up shop, undergoing massive layoffs and bankruptcy.

We are talking about thousands of stores closing and thousands of people now out of work.

Currently congress is debating how to handle the deployment of autonomous vehicles. This could be a threat to thousands of delivery drivers. Certainly in the next decade they may be put out of work as well.

But I ask again why aren't people concerned about this?
People have been losing their jobs due to technical advancements for decades. Not sure how being concerned would serve any contructive purpose unless a person used it as motivation to find a field that was less at risk for future cuts.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,868 times
i'm concerned.

Everything being bought online is like going to the biggest box store on the planet. Now it is a new crime ridden industry to steal delivered packages.

All these new voice activated devices and wireless technology is opening the door to cyber invation. What ever happened to keeping your life private and protecting your self from identity theft.

Whats old is new again, I am sticking with my boom box and CD's for music and used vehicles before computers. All this automated stuff is just way too expensive, I would rather play with the dog outside for entertainment.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
One of the most robotic factories is Tesla Motors of California. A look at the future of auto factories.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CUMXz

The future of hamburger restaurants. Here is the future of McDonald's and other restaurants due to the demand for higher wages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsSff3x07Sc

The world of work is changing. We are told by experts, that 50% of the jobs Americans will be working in just 10 years, have not even invented yet.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:18 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
One of the most robotic factories is Tesla Motors of California. A look at the future of auto factories.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CUMXz

The future of hamburger restaurants. Here is the future of McDonald's and other restaurants due to the demand for higher wages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsSff3x07Sc

The world of work is changing. We are told by experts, that 50% of the jobs Americans will be working in just 10 years, have not even invented yet.
I keep hearing about this idea that McDonald's has put up these kiosk because of wage hikes. It's a ridiculously simplistic statement push by those who have a narrative.

I went into a couple of these Mcdonald's that had kiosk and the only reason people used them was because the lines at the cashiers were too busy.

Unless you take away worker safety and protection regulations, there's not a wage low enough to prevent automation.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
Identity theft is usually not a big deal. I've identified pending bogus online purchases on my online banking site a couple of times with my current bank (TD Bank). They have a 24 hour customer service line to put a hold on your card number, and 7 day/wk in person banking to get a new card with a new number in about 10 minutes. I was told it happens all the time.

When my card number was being used overseas, my old bank (Chase) wanted to let all my charges through and let me dispute them in the future. Rediculous as my paycheck was due to hit my account in two days. I closed that account within hours and stopped my payroll deposit the same day. Then I opened the new account at TD.

Getting robbed in the real world is a whole different story. You feel not only violated but basically insecure in your person and property, with no option to recover any of it. The police give you a form to file an insurance claim. End of story.

I take basic precautions online. I shop online at major vendor sites. Even on Amazon I am wary of their affiliated vendors and check out their reiews and ratings. Same with ebay. I don't have any automated bill payments. I wouldn't allow anyone to access my house. I don't store passwords to any sites involving financial transactions or purchases on my computer. I keep my web cam disabled. Driving to the mall is probably just as dangerous as shopping online. I buy most of my toys (music instruments, camera equipment, etc.) used on ebay at less than half of what it cost new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
i'm concerned.

Everything being bought online is like going to the biggest box store on the planet. Now it is a new crime ridden industry to steal delivered packages.

All these new voice activated devices and wireless technology is opening the door to cyber invation. What ever happened to keeping your life private and protecting your self from identity theft.

Whats old is new again, I am sticking with my boom box and CD's for music and used vehicles before computers. All this automated stuff is just way too expensive, I would rather play with the dog outside for entertainment.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
People have been losing their jobs due to technical advancements for decades. Not sure how being concerned would serve any contructive purpose unless a person used it as motivation to find a field that was less at risk for future cuts.
Thats probably why trucking is not really encouraged or advertised much anymore...it wont be a job here in a few years, once self drive trucks take over, no company is going to hire human drivers anymore, companies and industries will love it, but it will be a bad thing for 100s of 1000s of people.

The only difference today is, we have laws on the books that are designed to prevent this kind of thing from becoming too much of a problem. Example, if a super intelligent guy creates a car engine that runs on tap water, there is NO WAY in hell they would allow such a thing, it would be a huge disaster for all kinds of industries and probably destroy the economy overnight.

Another example (more realistic since Popular Mechanics listed this as one of the top ten best upcoming technologies), the ability to email or text tangible objects...if this was available, suddenly there would not be any need for package delivery, and really large scale shipping of products and materials would probably become obsolete not long after...think about how disastrous this would be for the worlds economy, it would be a great thing for people, but very bad overall, as it would destroy so many industries and jobs that rely on this and rely on moving and shipping technology to stay right where they are.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Identity theft is usually not a big deal. I've identified pending bogus online purchases on my online banking site a couple of times with my current bank (TD Bank). They have a 24 hour customer service line to put a hold on your card number, and 7 day/wk in person banking to get a new card with a new number in about 10 minutes. I was told it happens all the time.

When my card number was being used overseas, my old bank (Chase) wanted to let all my charges through and let me dispute them in the future. Rediculous as my paycheck was due to hit my account in two days. I closed that account within hours and stopped my payroll deposit the same day. Then I opened the new account at TD.

Getting robbed in the real world is a whole different story. You feel not only violated but basically insecure in your person and property, with no option to recover any of it. The police give you a form to file an insurance claim. End of story.

I take basic precautions online. I shop online at major vendor sites. Even on Amazon I am wary of their affiliated vendors and check out their reiews and ratings. Same with ebay. I don't have any automated bill payments. I wouldn't allow anyone to access my house. I don't store passwords to any sites involving financial transactions or purchases on my computer. I keep my web cam disabled. Driving to the mall is probably just as dangerous as shopping online. I buy most of my toys (music instruments, camera equipment, etc.) used on ebay at less than half of what it cost new.
Not A Big Deal...is my point. If it happens enough it becomes commonplace. It's happened to me too.

Just like everything else that is happening today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates