Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 01:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that supposed patriotic Americans can't see that peaceful protest and free speech are the building blocks of America. The Revolutionary War can be seen as a protest against England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 02:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You left out a good portion of my reasons for losing interest in the NFL in general so I'll refresh your selective memory:

Combined with their recent spectacles as well as high profile arrest records, I have lost a lot of interest in the NFL as a franchise.

And I've always found college football to be more entertaining to watch - it tends to be less slick and more "off the cuff" in my opinion.

Actually the NFL began really ticking me off when they tried to strong arm the entire state of Louisiana and the entire city of New Orleans by claiming they had some sort of licensing "right" to the phrase "Who dat!!!" What a grabby, money grubbing, and ridiculous thing to try to pull off!

I did not leave out anything so I'm not sure what's up with the snark about my "selective memory". I quoted your post in it's entirety and bolded the part I was responding to. I addressed the part of your posted I intended to address.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
If anyone wants to know the idea behind the chosen act of taking a knee, read this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/o...e.html?mcubz=0

Old 09-30-2017, 02:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And what type of protest would you like to see? Let's be honest, no one wants anyone to speak up about this so they will take issue with any type of protest. Really it's the same type of thing people dealt with in the 60's
I don't want to see a protest at a football game. Do it on your OWN time, not at the expense of the fans paying money to see a game. Not to mention don't do it in the middle of the national anthem when so many feel that is time to give THANKS to those who serve. There are COUNTLESS protests in every city every day. Do it then, or since we are talking about players that make MILLIONS, why don't they chip in and run an ad during the game. Maybe do something a little more than just taking a knee that does nothing and is lazy as heck. Get out and do something!

Old 09-30-2017, 03:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't want to see a protest at a football game. Do it on your OWN time, not at the expense of the fans paying money to see a game. Not to mention don't do it in the middle of the national anthem when so many feel that is time to give THANKS to those who serve. There are COUNTLESS protests in every city every day. Do it then, or since we are talking about players that make MILLIONS, why don't they chip in and run an ad during the game. Maybe do something a little more than just taking a knee that does nothing and is lazy as heck. Get out and do something!
Like what smart guy? Be honest, you don't want to hear anything anywhere. On the field off the field it doesn't matter. In the eyes of you and others there is no such thing as an acceptable protest.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:58 PM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
...they don't like Police using deadly force on their own despite that they are generally caught in the act of committing crimes when the Police come down on them...
This is the crux of the issue. Look at the polling between blacks and whites on this issue. It's as stark as black and white. Because most whites don't believe DWB exists, they overwhelming side with the police and don't think they're killing unarmed blacks without cause. And most of these folks will deny that Trump is a racist.

So let'em boycott the NFL. Since the fake news started reporting about long term problems with multiple concussions, football is far too namby-pamby for them now. Better they should stick to Nascar and cage fighting, it's more their style...

Old 09-30-2017, 05:53 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So if it's "little more than just taking a knee", what's the big deal?

Old 09-30-2017, 07:07 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Like what smart guy? Be honest, you don't want to hear anything anywhere. On the field off the field it doesn't matter. In the eyes of you and others there is no such thing as an acceptable protest.
I just listed the reasons not to protest at a NFL game. The rest of the crap you just posted you made up for your own benefit. It is all about your agenda even if it makes no sense at all. I even gave a suggestion to run and ad, but you didn't read it I guess. Blinded by your agenda to the point you can't read my response. Sounds about normal these days.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:09 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So if it's "little more than just taking a knee", what's the big deal?
Again, I already listed why it is rude and dead wrong to the fans paying money. Not sure what more I can add. If you can't understand my response, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck, but the kneeling thing was a HUGE mistake and people have had enough whining, so most are just going on the offensive. It is called a pushback and it is crazy strong. I am not pushing back and am actually uncomfortable with how people are acting, but I understand how they feel.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:41 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It all boils down to freedom. Since there is no law that defines how we are to act when it comes to the national anthem, it becomes a matter of freedom and choice. If this country really stands for freedom and personal liberty, then we have the right to act as we wish in this matter. You can't say you value freedom, but then turn around and ridicule people for using such freedom. It's not something we can switch on and off just because we disagree with someone else's different view.

We fairly easily understand the freedom to disagree, but have some infantile problem understanding the same point when it comes to some usage or application.

Racism has nothing to do with this matter. Those that throw down the race card are trying to steer the discussion away from its connections to freedom. They can't handle the fact that, yes, this is a freedom that is guaranteed. Those folks need to grow up, and learn what America was founded on. They are the ones who are out of line, and acting un-American.
Yepper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates